Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It was known. As it turns out, the other phonemakers simply ignored that one, and let the person always scroll with one finger. It's far more intuitive than the two finger method, which a lot of people never figure out.

In my experience, with plenty of relatives who have never used a Mac until they came to my home and used one, some of them with absolutely no computer experience, none of them had any difficulty figuring out two finger scroll.

Pockleton

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Yes, the Motorola phone marketed as the "Motorola Droid" for Verizon. Otherwise, others know it as a Motorola Milestone.

Droid is a marketing campaign done by Verizon for their line-up which included the original Motorola Droid, the HTC Droid Eris, the Motorola Droid X and so on.

"Droid Does" ring a bell ?

http://droiddoes.verizonwireless.com/

Here you go, reading is fundamental. Or not.

http://macdailynews.com/2012/11/03/...g-money-off-motorola-mobility-android-phones/

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

I hate to be a Wikipedia Warrior but...

The term "Droid" has been used by Verizon Wireless under licence from Lucasfilm, for their line of smartphones based on the Android operating system.

Does Google licence it? Motorola? HTC? Verizon?

I'd say reading is fundamental for sure.

/off topic: MacDailyNews needs a few more ads on their page....

That's the same piece you quoted earlier. :confused:

It doesn't change anything. You're still confused. And frankly, that piece is a hive of FUD to begin with...

There are two people at fault here.

Alex Knapp at Forbes. http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkna...-jobs-trust-now-making-money-off-of-motorola/
And the naive.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
No, GP said :
Don't try to rewrite things when they are still posted on this very page.

Ok, I missed the "through" in the original post, sorry.

However, you did manage to cherry pick the one version of Windows "through 3.X" that looked and worked the least like Mac OS... (and which many people have probably never seen).

Meanwhile, if you want a real MAC-OS look-and-feel rip off, look at GEM:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_Environment_Manager

Now they did have it coming... I had an Atari ST (aka the 'Jackintosh') for a while, which managed to avoid the Apple lawsuit and kept the original look-and-feel.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Masterful move by apple to corner Samsung as the only completely unreasonable party in the industry

You can't actually know that without having seen the prior negotiations between Apple and Samsung. Beyond that if they believe they can prove patents to be invalid, they're doing everyone else a service by eliminating something which never should have been granted. The same can be said if Apple invalidates trivial patents granted to any of its competition.

What a biased writing style. From that link.

MacDailyNews Take: Ha!

Unfortunately, Apple should be getting much more out of the iPhone knockoffs than they currently are – hopefully, someday, finally, the courts will the thieves and rectify this gross and painfully obvious injustice.

Apple’s products came first, then Samsung’s:
Read more at http://macdailynews.com/2012/11/03/...-mobility-android-phones/#IjHdWkWHhyVTXWQG.99

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

Steve Jobs’ Trust gets richer from sales of DROID branded phones

Licenced from Verizon....

So what does this all mean? It means that Disney will now get the licensing fees and royalties from Verizon for using the DROID name which could result in a higher stock price.

Not Motorola. Stop ignoring the "acts".

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
However, you did manage to cherry pick the one version of Windows "through 3.X" that looked and worked the least like Mac OS...

No I didn't. I went with Version 1.0 of each. I didn't spend hours looking at all version and picking my screenshots.

----------

Not Motorola. Stop ignoring the "[f]acts".

After 5 replies by 3 people, if he still ignores the facts, you know what he's here for and you know where he should end up.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I hope not. Android is a stolen OS, it would be disgusting if Google get away with this.

Which has zero to do with Samsung. Until the courts declare against Android and tell folks they can't use it, Samsung can only be hit on hardware and software items they changed or added to Android's core version. Not that core version. Just this week the courts refused to allow discussion of that core in a suit against Samsung, confirming that that is an issue with Google.

kdarling

macrumors P6
In my experience, with plenty of relatives who have never used a Mac until they came to my home and used one, some of them with absolutely no computer experience, none of them had any difficulty figuring out two finger scroll.

Yep, anything is easy once it's shown to someone.

To be clearer, I was referring to scrolling a div or frame on iOS. I ran across people all the time who didn't know about the secret need to use two fingers.

(Like pinch zoom, it makes "sense" once you find out. Unfortunately, there wasn't anything in the iPhone manual on the frame scroll topic, so knowing about it totally relied on either a lucky discovery or reading an explanation on the web.)

Pockleton

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
B-b-but MacDailyNews said..... :D

We have a new one for "the list" me thinks.

https://forums.macrumors.com/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=744424

Dismissing a fact with an unrelated counter argument "oh but it doesnt effect me so the facts are Fud"
Is a bit of a silly comment

Stealing a product and sticking your own crap ontop of it isnt anything to brag about. Samsung, Android Google are being dragged into court per Steve Jobs because thier products didnt exist before Iphone. Ipod 2001 is the start all of this form factor crap. iOS is the start of All this android court crap.

The droid reference for the 5-10 very deeply misguided and severely delusional readers that are chuffed with their retorts is:

Illegally taking something for free will get back to copycats in some manner. Jobs story isnt fud, its a bit of revenge.

HTC knew this and so will Samsung. But dont let their 1bn loss get in the way of your party.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
Dismissing a fact with an unrelated counter argument "oh but it doesnt effect me so the facts are Fud"

Stealing a product and sticking your own crap ontop of it isnt anything to brag about. Samsung, Android Google are being dragged into court per Steve Jobs because thier products didnt exist before Iphone. Ipod 2001 is the start all of this form factor crap. iOS is the start of All this android court crap.

The droid reference for the 5-10 very deeply misguided and severely delusional readers that are chuffed with their retorts is:

Illegally taking something for free will get back to copycats in some manner. Jobs story isnt fud, its a bit of revenge.

HTC knew this and so will Samsung. But dont let their 1bn loss get in the way of your party.

Are people really this dense? Better yet, it seems people do not know how to read.

Dont you know how to read? Seriously, dont you know how to read?

Lets repeat it for the billionth time. No, lets repeat it another billion times.

Apple has not won 1b dollars. They havent received a cent.

With the appeals, apple may never see a dime.

The people on this board. Is this a damn joke how dense people here are?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It was an idiotic comment that Steve obviously said in anger - there's no way Apple could do bugger all to stop Android's success (and yes, it is a success).

They aren't trying to stop Android's success. Just success based on someone else's ideas.

Oh shut up and educate yourself on Android and iOS Mr Troll. It is not a stolen OS.

The issue is really more of a semantic one. Some folks define 'stolen' as an act that involves a physical object wretched out of someone else's literal possession. Others use the term in a broader sense of any violation against anyone's legal rights.

And in the broader sense there is potential that Android is a 'stolen' item. The potential needs to be tested and confirmed which is what the courts are for.

Until that test is actually complete it is annoying to hear folks making blanket statements of confirmed guilt whether the party is Google, Samsung, Apple etc

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006

After reading your comments on this thread, I can say with confidence that yes, I live in a different reality than you do.

Pockleton

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
After reading your comments on this thread, I can say with confidence that yes, I live in a different reality than you do.

Good and please do close the door behind you. They certainly look alike, but quite different.

----------

Are people really this dense? Better yet, it seems people do not know how to read.

Dont you know how to read? Seriously, dont you know how to read?

Lets repeat it for the billionth time. No, lets repeat it another billion times.

Apple has not won 1b dollars. They havent received a cent.

With the appeals, apple may never see a dime.

The people on this board. Is this a damn joke how dense people here are?

Thanks Judge Judy

As of: (looking at watch) November 17th Apple has won the lawsuit until things change (if they ever do!)

Blabbering about semantics is the very reason Android clan is in court because they slice and dice reality until even thievery becomes an honest living.

Next case Judge?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

So you admit what you've been doing is silly ? How many times do we need to prove to you that "Droid" is a Verizon license from Lucasfilm before it starts to sink in ?

----------

As of: (looking at watch) November 17th Apple has won the lawsuit until things change (if they ever do!)

As a matter of fact, they did change :

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/apple-rubber-band-patent-invalidated-by-previous-apple-patent/

One of the patents that is part of the 1 billion $ verdict has been invalidated. This thus changes the verdict (can't infringe and don't have to pay damages for invalid patents).

Samsung has a motion due for hearing on the 6th of december for Jury misconduct which could also greatly affect the outcome of the trial.

Pockleton

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
So you admit what you've been doing is silly ? How many times do we need to prove to you that "Droid" is a Verizon license from Lucasfilm before it starts to sink in ?

----------

As a matter of fact, they did change :

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/apple-rubber-band-patent-invalidated-by-previous-apple-patent/

One of the patents that is part of the 1 billion $ verdict has been invalidated. This thus changes the verdict (can't infringe and don't have to pay damages for invalid patents).

Samsung has a motion due for hearing on the 6th of december for Jury misconduct which could also greatly affect the outcome of the trial.

One a judgement
Another pending

Thanks for playing the recolving door Android Semantic game.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I hope not. Android is a stolen OS, it would be disgusting if Google get away with this.

Windows is a stolen OS. Android is just highly inspired by iPhone OS. It's not like they ripped off the OS and its specific features.

selva

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2011
Let's see, if we go to your utopian world where samsung doesn't exist, we lose retina displays, ipads, iphones, ipod touches, etc...

If Samsung did not exist Sharp, LG, Foxconn, HTC, etc. would just be larger to meet consumer demand. The world would get along just fine without Samsung.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.