Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I have apple care plus, but I'm told they all have iOS 6 installed. Is there any way to get one with 5.1 and if not is there any way to downgrade? I don't want to lose my jailbreak.

If not, can you replace the back?

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I have apple care plus, but I'm told they all have iOS 6 installed. Is there any way to get one with 5.1 and if not is there any way to downgrade? I don't want to lose my jailbreak.

If just the back glass broke then yes.
Apple store Genius Bar can replace the back glass panel for $29

ryan.apham

macrumors member
May 6, 2011

Next time, be careful with any jailbroken device. Not even Apple Care Plus will save your warranty from being voided.

P/S: People still jailbreak these days :confused:? I remember the old days when I always had my iPhone 2/3/3GS jailbroken, not anymore with iPhone 4/4S/5 :rolleyes:.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
If just the back glass broke then yes.
Apple store Genius Bar can replace the back glass panel for $29

Are you 100% sure? It's a long drive for me and I just called and they said its up to the technician whether they replace the back or just replace the entire phone.

If so, do I have to go through the hassle of unjailbreaking my phone just to get the back replaced or will they not check/care?

----------

Next time, be careful with any jailbroken device. Not even Apple Care Plus will save your warranty from
being voided.

P/S: People still jailbreak these days :confused:? I remember the old days when I always had my iPhone 2/3/3GS jailbroken, not anymore with iPhone 4/4S/5 :rolleyes:.

Yes of course people still jailbreak, why wouldn't they? Do you even realize why people jailbreak in the first place and how limited the phone still is even with the latest software? There is an entire world of stuff you can do when you jailbreak, and most jailbreakers wouldn't go back to stock if you paid them, hence why people still have 4s and 4S's waiting for the 6.0 jailbreak to buy a 5

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
This is the back glass that's broken, correct?

Just buy an OEM one from ebay or something and switch it out yourself. Did it recently to a friend's iPhone and took 20 seconds. You still have to pay, whether it'll be $29 or $50 , so you might as well just get it done for $15.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Next time, be careful with any jailbroken device. Not even Apple Care Plus will save your warranty from being voided.

Tons of people still jailbreak. I don't know why it comes as a surprise to you.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Tons of people still jailbeak. I don't know why it comes as a surprise to you.

Ya, I don't know how anyone uses a stock iPhone. I suppose ignorance is bliss ;)

----------

This is the back glass that's broken, correct?

Just buy an OEM one from ebay or something and switch it out yourself. Did it recently to a friend's iPhone and took 20 seconds. You still have to pay, whether it'll be $29 or $50 , so you might as well just get it done for $15.

Sweet.....well I think I'll do that since I don't want to lose my jailbreak and I have a feeling the genius is gonna mess around w my phone

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Ya, I don't know how anyone uses a stock iPhone. I suppose ignorance is bliss ;)

I use a stock iPhone because it does what I need it to. Plus, when something happens to it, I'm not running around trying to figure out how to fix my phone and save my jailbreak.:p

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I use a stock iPhone because it does what I need it to. Plus, when something happens to it, I'm not running around trying to figure out how to fix my phone and save my jailbreak.:p

Very small price to pay for the immense benefits of jailbreaking. You honestly have no idea how much better your iPhone experience could be and how many glaring flaws there are in iOS, I can't count how many tweaks I have

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Very small price to pay for the immense benefits of jailbreaking. You honestly have no idea how much better your iPhone experience could be and how many glaring flaws there are in iOS, I can't count how many tweaks I have

Congrats, I'm glad you're happy. But that doesn't mean you know what is best for everyone.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
Get the back replaced at the Apple Store if you want an original iPhone back. There are no OEM parts available anywhere outside of Apple. Just (maybe) very good almost OEM quality parts.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Get the back replaced at the Apple Store if you want an original iPhone back. There are no OEM parts available anywhere outside of Apple. Just (maybe) very good almost OEM quality parts.

Ok. I'm goin tomorrow.

Is there any way a replacement 4S will still have iOS 5.1?

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
This is one of the main reasons I think apple care plus is useless for me. If I jailbreak and can't update my software, then I wouldn't want to get a replacement.

Can't live without jailbreak. So instead of getting Apple Care+ I just make it my business to treat these devices like they are made out of egg shells.

Alas accidents happen, I've been lucky so far (knock on wood).

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I got a replacement 4S from Apple few weeks ago (after iOS 6 launched) n it was loaded with 5.1 instead of 6. I'm in Australia, but I think US should be the same.

Wonder if I could request this

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Wow, since you don't jb anymore you think no one else does?

To the op just pay apple to replace your back piece for $29.
You will be fine bringing it in jb.
I don't think the jb caused the crack :)

ryan.apham

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
Wow, since you don't jb anymore you think no one else does?

To the op just pay apple to replace your back piece for $29.
You will be fine bringing it in jb.
I don't think the jb caused the crack :)

No, but I think several polls last year where a majority of people do not jb or do not consider to jb in the future. Whilst the pre-iPhone 4 era, I remember a whole lot of people jb. It's not that jb is bad though, it's just Apple is constantly improving their OS and adding new features and what not, though I have to say the lack of configuring themes is a huge loss there...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
No, but I think several polls last year where a majority of people do not jb or do not consider to jb in the future. Whilst the pre-iPhone 4 era, I remember a whole lot of people jb. It's not that jb is bad though, it's just Apple is constantly improving their OS and adding new features and what not, though I have to say the lack of configuring themes is a huge loss there...

I hear you.
They didnt just improve and add stuff to the OS they also improved a lot on security. So finding exploits and JB is way harder now than the old days.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Just go to the apple store and pay 29$ and it will be done in less than 5 min, i wouldn't use apple care for this, damage is minimum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.