Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
I have had my nest since July and its been great. I have the leaf showing every day. I'm excited for the software update and how auto away will activate in less than 2 hours, that will save me more energy substantially.

I also like how nest sends you a the monthly energy reports and show's where you are saving and when your leaf is active. My last report said I'm in the top 5% of energy saving nest users. :eek:

rendevouspoo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2012
They look awesome and I want one, but was looking for real world reviews on them

My father is in the HVAC business, so around the office they keep the cutting edge type tech. We installed the Nest and it works amazingly. It's very attractive and easy to use. I have my Android system running it while my brother has his iPhone connected as well. It's pretty awesome.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
Has anyone received their new one yet? Mine says it ships by October 23rd...I'm so anxious to get it!

I returned generation 1 and picked up a generation 2 at lowes. Love the smaller design and it does seem snappier.

Does anyone have it hooked up to a whole house humidifier yet? I'd hate to have to pay someone to do it, but I have no clue on how to do this. I did a little looking around and it looks like I need to install a relay somewhere since I have 2 wires coming out of my humidifier.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Got ours today! Setup was a breeze. It's so beautiful! Ironically, it hasn't kicked on at all today because it was very warm in Chicago today. Can't wait to see energy stats trickle in!

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Got ours today! Setup was a breeze. It's so beautiful! Ironically, it hasn't kicked on at all today because it was very warm in Chicago today. Can't wait to see energy stats trickle in!

Had t for a few days now and reply enjoying using it. It should start using auto-away and letting us know when it will reach a temperature in the next couple days.

I like being able to see how often the heating/cooling runs. Forces you to be more energy conscious. And that's a good thing.

SK360

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Beaver, PA
We got a Gen 2 this past weekend to replace a 5/2 programmable stat.

Installation was simple and I ran a C wire to it so that we wouldn't have any of the issues reported by people not using the common power wire.

We laid down a base schedule on it because we are pretty consistent in our schedules.

M-F
6AM 70*
7AM 62*
5PM 69*
10:30PM (11PM Friday night) 62*

S-Su
7:30AM 69*
11PM (10:30PM Su) 62*

Auto Schedule can adjust from there if it deems something better but I think our base schedule is pretty good for us. Auto Away is still in learning mode, it won't help us much for the Work week since we have scheduled temp drops with when we leave for work and rises when we get home but for the weekends it should work well. We have a constant temp set Sat-Sun but there are some weekends when we aren't home all day or all weekend and we wouldn't change our old programmable thermostat. If we forget to open the app and set to away, auto away should set quickly and save us some $.

We love that it knows the weather outside and learns how long the house takes to heat up underh certain conditions so tat it only starts as early as it has to to hit our wake up temp. Airwave seems like it should save us a bit when A/C season comes around.

This thing is awesome, even if it saves us nothing it was still worth it :). Next project is to fill in the holes in the drywall and paint so we can get rid of the wall plate. Will do this in the spring so we can have the HVAC off for a day or two.

8086AD81-7D95-4C45-B53E-27B94971A434-18095-00000713322D7125.jpg

AAF2FB88-6ED7-4BD6-B551-6E6F5923A12F-18095-0000071345DD3707.jpg

5E2F32E4-F8D3-416F-BF31-70C54E5BF796-18095-0000078AFBB81092.jpg

7BC3F548-A368-46B0-9C8E-16C90E097196-7100-00000272362C2C50.jpg

Last edited:

aprofetto8

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Clicking the Nest

I had the first gen Nest and loved it. I now have a second gen Nest and love it as well. I do however have one question. The second gen Nest I have doesn't seem to 'click' on the bottom of the unit - specifically where the new solid plastic piece is (formerly the grill on the first gen).

When I operated my first gen, I always used to click the bottom of the unit on the grill and it worked great. Now with the second gen, when I click at the bottom, it doesn't register the click. Not a huge deal, just more curious.

I called Nest support and the guy said this is done purposely to prevent people from pushing on the new plastic piece as its a special plastic. I'm just curious if other 2nd gen Nest users notice the same thing?

PS. It's not due to installation, I removed the unit off the wall and clicked all over the back of the unit and found the same thing.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
I just checked mine too and seem to have that dead space. mine is not very responsive on the lower piece you described, but only on the left side of that piece.

majordave59

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2013
Guess you had better luck than I

I must have gotten the LEMON of the bunch because I hate the nest thermostat, I would not recommend it for anyone else and think they need to do some serious changes to the software. Just of few of my problems.... 1) It arbitrarily adjusts the temperature to settings we have never used! Ex. When we get up we set the temperature to 68 and when we go to bed we set it at 62 but during the day it will change to 64 several times. I go back and reset to 68 and within a couple hours I'm resetting the temp. again! 2) In thought, having the nest system remember your settings and adjust accordingly is a good thing but since we set the temp. to 68 in the day; the nest system starts the heater at 5am to reach the 68 mark by 8am. I do not want this because I want it 62 while I'm sleeping so ultimately I wake up sweating!!!! We've attempted to restart or flush all previous settings out but the problem remains!
3) Cost - you can get a programmable thermostat for all 7 days for as cheap as $21 but the nest system is at least 10x that cost so how is this feasible!!!!

Reactions: Katlynj

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
I must have gotten the LEMON of the bunch because I hate the nest thermostat, I would not recommend it for anyone else and think they need to do some serious changes to the software. Just of few of my problems.... 1) It arbitrarily adjusts the temperature to settings we have never used! Ex. When we get up we set the temperature to 68 and when we go to bed we set it at 62 but during the day it will change to 64 several times. I go back and reset to 68 and within a couple hours I'm resetting the temp. again! 2) In thought, having the nest system remember your settings and adjust accordingly is a good thing but since we set the temp. to 68 in the day; the nest system starts the heater at 5am to reach the 68 mark by 8am. I do not want this because I want it 62 while I'm sleeping so ultimately I wake up sweating!!!! We've attempted to restart or flush all previous settings out but the problem remains!
3) Cost - you can get a programmable thermostat for all 7 days for as cheap as $21 but the nest system is at least 10x that cost so how is this feasible!!!!

I'm so happy you took the time out of your day to not only register for this website, but also write that ridiculous post as well.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'm still unclear on the particular advantage of Nest (aside from looking cool) over any good programmable thermostat.

The argument that programmable thermostats are difficult to use doesn't seem reasonable to me. I'm a techno-boob of the first order...and if I can program it, any middling bright monkey can do it.

I have the Nest smoke/CO detector. I thought that was worth the extra money because of the features I liked...which are not available on standard smoke/CO detectors. But I don't get the advantage of the thermostat. And I certainly don't need a little green leaf to tell me how to engage in proper energy conservation. (My electric company sends ratings of usage compared to my neighbors, and I always score in the top 2-3%)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'm still unclear on the particular advantage of Nest (aside from looking cool) over any good programmable thermostat.

The argument that programmable thermostats are difficult to use doesn't seem reasonable to me. I'm a techno-boob of the first order...and if I can program it, any middling bright monkey can do it.

I have the Nest smoke/CO detector. I thought that was worth the extra money because of the features I liked...which are not available on standard smoke/CO detectors. But I don't get the advantage of the thermostat. And I certainly don't need a little green leaf to tell me how to engage in proper energy conservation. (My electric company sends ratings of usage compared to my neighbors, and I always score in the top 2-3%)

My favorite thing about it is being able to control it from my phone and get the house to a temperature I like before I get home from work or get back from a trip. Plus, I'm lazy and don't have to get off the couch or out of bed to adjust it.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
My favorite thing about it is being able to control it from my phone and get the house to a temperature I like before I get home from work or get back from a trip. Plus, I'm lazy and don't have to get off the couch or out of bed to adjust it.

Programmable thermostats do that without needing to be controlled remotely - I thought a Nest would do the same thing.

I'm with Shrink - if you actually program your thermostat to match your schedule, they will work wonders on your energy bill, for a fraction the cost of a Nest. Now, if you like the gadget factor, a Nest is undoubtedly the way to go.

Katlynj

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2019
Guess you had better luck than I

This cracks me up. I’m glad I randomly found this. I miss you so much dad. RIP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.