Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
So I'm getting an iPhone 5 today, hopefully. Before I make the final jump, I want your impressions with your iPhone 5. What's it give me that other phones don't? What's it lack, that other phones have?

I'm coming from an iPhone 4 if that makes any difference.

ryan.apham

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
So I'm getting an iPhone 5 today, hopefully. Before I make the final jump, I want your impressions with your iPhone 5. What's it give me that other phones don't? What's it lack, that other phones have?

I'm coming from an iPhone 4 if that makes any difference.

Oh my god.

Firstly, if you want opinions from people, you should have asked earlier. From what I understand, you are intending to get an iPhone 5 in a few more hours. What is the point of asking MacRumors folks now? To get some back-up? To soothe your soul that the phone you're getting is good?

If you are looking for non-biased opinions, I'm telling you, you have come to a wrong site. What's more, in the iPhone sub-forum. Will you expect people to have a balanced view, or more or less, opinions that are biased towards iPhone?

Then, your question is really vague. Other phones? Specifically, what phone? Lumia 820? Samsung Galaxy Note 2? Samsung Galaxy S3? HTC X One? Each and every phone has its own weakness and strength. You can't compare iPhone with a pool of hundreds types of smartphones. Tell us more specifically, for example, iPhone 5 vs Lumia 820, then, it's easier to answer your question.

I can only answer the question about the impression of the iPhone 5. Pros: bigger screen than iPhone 4, thinner, cool design, much faster chip, RAM and GPU meaning you will get much less stutter and lag compared to the iPhone 4. Cons: expensive, the screen dimension is a little stupid. Wish they have broadened it a bit more, then the phone wouldn't have looked like a TV remote.

Good luck in your purchase. I can see that the prices in Vietnam are still high, wait for few more weeks.

MikeTheVike

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2009
I got a white 64Gb 2 nights ago coming from a iPhone 4. I love the lighter weight, thinner profile, the SPEED is amazing, LTE is blazing fast. The taller screen is nice. I'm also enjoying all the software updates I couldn't use with the iPhone 4, like Siri, Maps features, panarama photos, etc.

VERY happy with it so far!

Edit: After reading about scuffgate and checking out the display phones in the store I decided on white. The display phones had knicks and scuffs. I'm really happy with that decision. I have a feeling the black one is going to get scuffed really easily and I don't use a case.

5enohpi

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
Philly/Vegas
Oh my god.

Firstly, if you want opinions from people, you should have asked earlier. From what I understand, you are intending to get an iPhone 5 in a few more hours. What is the point of asking MacRumors folks now? To get some back-up? To soothe your soul that the phone you're getting is good?

If you are looking for non-biased opinions, I'm telling you, you have come to a wrong site. What's more, in the iPhone sub-forum. Will you expect people to have a balanced view, or more or less, opinions that are biased towards iPhone?

Then, your question is really vague. Other phones? Specifically, what phone? Lumia 820? Samsung Galaxy Note 2? Samsung Galaxy S3? HTC X One? Each and every phone has its own weakness and strength. You can't compare iPhone with a pool of hundreds types of smartphones. Tell us more specifically, for example, iPhone 5 vs Lumia 820, then, it's easier to answer your question.

I can only answer the question about the impression of the iPhone 5. Pros: bigger screen than iPhone 4, thinner, cool design, much faster chip, RAM and GPU meaning you will get much less stutter and lag compared to the iPhone 4. Cons: expensive, the screen dimension is a little stupid. Wish they have broadened it a bit more, then the phone wouldn't have looked like a TV remote.

Good luck in your purchase. I can see that the prices in Vietnam are still high, wait for few more weeks.

Retarded post

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Really it wasn't that retarded at all. The OP waited until the last minute (almost literally) to try and get opinions about a significant purchase he's about to make. He couldn't possibly have expected to get a fair review from an iPhone forum. It sounds like the OP was just looking for reassurance that he was making a good choice. He just should have done it earlier that's all.

To the OP, remember you have the 14 day return policy. If for any reason you do not like it, just return it and use you're older iPhone or try out another phone on the market. You might surprise yourself with something else you like better.

cnguyen0320

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2012
Oh my god.

I actually didn't end up getting it cause it was still out of stock and I misunderstood a sale that a retailer was having... (Iphone 5 not covered under deal) Anyway, yea it was last minute but would still like opinions.

P.S. I don't live in Vietnam and I'm an American.

jpross123

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
Kentucky
I like that the internet and wifi speeds are better, along with the phone being faster itself. The bigger screen is a love/hate thing, I like that its bigger, but sometimes it can be a little awkward to hold. If you have small hands you can't press the power button as easily as on the other iPhones

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I actually didn't end up getting it cause it was still out of stock and I misunderstood a sale that a retailer was having... (Iphone 5 not covered under deal) Anyway, yea it was last minute but would still like opinions.

P.S. I don't live in Vietnam and I'm an American.

That sucks. Sorry to hear about that. Well now that you have time. I will say that coming from a 4s, the main improvements are LTE obviously. I can't notice an improvement on wifi because currently my home wifi kind of sucks (slow and will randomly cut out, not just on the iPhone, everything) and the only other place I've used it is at school, again, I can't really say I've seen an improvement. The front facing camera is a huge welcomed improvement for me. Those pictures are so much clearer now, especially in non-optimal lighting conditions. The rear camera does appear to be faster. I wouldn't say it's better in my opinion yet, but haven't really pushed it's limits. The stabilization does appear to be improved noticeably. Sound quality on phone calls is much better in my opinion. The speaker volume (on bottom) is also much louder. I really like the iPod layout now since I no longer have to tap the screen to get the progression bar to show up. It utilizes the extra space well. The weight decrease will really surprise you if you haven't held one yet.

Things I don't like. Maps: For the most part they are pretty good for my area. But it still has it's issues. Roads look different enough in some areas to confuse me as to where I'm actually supposed to be make my turn (almost like the scale is wrong or something). I will see roads/ramps that are incorrect (not there or the map it making a dog leg when there is no dog leg).

Borderline too skinny. It should not go past this point. Still feels good in the hand, but if I'm laying down with the phone above me, it seems more difficult to have a decent grip on it than previous models.

Some of my favorite apps still aren't optimized for the screen yet. Not the phone's fault really.

Passbook still could use some work I think. It will randomly pop up with a near by store when I'm sitting in my house a mile and half away from it. I made my own cards for a few different things that don't have official ones yet like GameStop Power Up rewards card. It's handy because I don't like carrying cards like that in my wallet and I just show the salesperson my card number.

As far as iPhone 5 specifics, that's all I can think of right now. Good luck with your choice and I hope you can find one soon if you want it.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Cons:

No indicator light for missed calls/texts, etc.

Wish the screen was a little wider, taller only, come on...

Apple to please stop with all the restrictions. Example: you can't download a song/ring tone directly from the internet and assign it as a ring tone. You gave to jump though tons of hoops with an app, conversion, hook up iPhone with iTunes, move the file back and forth, then able to assign the file as a ring tone. There are several more...but I don't want to get into it.

Customization of the home screens, etc. like Widgets.

Notification pull down menu... add more notifications.

Need USB/Micro USB standard so I can use ANYONE's charger and not have to carry my own lightning cable or purchase a second one or another adapter. 30-pin, lightning to USB/Micro USB, etc.

When I plug the iPhone into a computer, let me have access to other parts of the phone besides only the pictures.

Able to attach a Word/PDF file in an email etc.

When I see an address, be able to touch/press it and it will open up a map so I can see where it is on the map. (This one is hit or miss)

Able to add more than 1 (or is it 2?) work numbers in the contacts list. There are some businesses that have several numbers to a business. (EDIT: it appears on Verizon, u r only limited to 2 work numbers and AT&T is unlimited?)

Able to play more file formats of video without having to download another app or converting all files to an Apple format to be able to play it o an iPhone.

Wish Apple would be a little more innovative or rather than play catch up with the other manufactures. Come one, 2 years to get LTE?

Pros:

Build quality assuming you get an non-scuffed, non-nicked, non-scratched phone.

American product (even though it is assembled in a foreign county).

Warranty (Apple Care Plus) and local stores.

Apple has better refurbished/re-manufactuerd phones (warranty exchange/repair) compared to other manufactures/companies.

Better resale value.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

(flame suit on since I know no one wants to hear the cons of their phone :p)

Last edited:

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Cons:

Wish it was a little wider, taller only, come on...

Apple to please stop with all the restrictions. Example: you can't download a song/ring tone directly from the internet and assign it as a ring tone. You gave to jump though tons of hoops with an app, conversion, hook up iPhone with iTunes, move the file back and forth, then able to assign the file as a ring tone. There are several more...but I don't want to get into it.

Widgets.

Customization of the home screens, etc.

Need USB/Micro USB standard so I can use ANYONE's charger and not have to carry my own lightning cable or purchase a second one.

When I plug the iPhone into a computer, let me have access to other parts of the phone besides only the pictures.

When I see an address, be able to touch/press it and it will open up a map so I can see where it is on the map.

Able to add more than 1 (or is it 2?) work numbers in the contacts list. There are some businesses that have several numbers to a business.

Able to play more file formats of video without having to download another app.

Wish Apple would be a little more innovative or rather than play catch up with the other manufactures. Come one, 2 years to get LTE?

Pros:

Apple has better refurbished/re-manufactuerd phones (warranty exchange/repair) compared to other manufactures/companies.

Better resale value.

(flame suit on since I know no one wants to hears the cons of their phone :p)

The phone actually does do some of the things you listed it as unable to do under cons.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Being as objective as I can be, I personally hate that the 5 doesn't offer really anything more than the 4S, outside of screen size. By this, I mean the 4S does everything damn near as well. Sure the hardware is snappier in the 5, but honestly, even side by side, I don't really notice the difference. The difference from a 4 to 4S and especially the 3G to 3GS were much more noticeable to me. That said, you are coming from a 4. You will most certainly notice a performance increase, that I can guarantee.

I also loath maps. Severely. It has taken me to the wrong place more times than I can count. Once it even dialed a residential number when I tried calling a business. Did I mention we live in Boston now? So it's not a case of living in podunksville. So for that I prefer to use something like waze still. Others have reported having a great experience with maps, so your mileage may vary.

I ended up returning my 5, but my wife kept hers. I picked up a Lumia 920, and that is the most current gen phone I can compare it to (haven't played with the Nexus 4 yet). The 920 has its issues too. Hell, probably more issues than the iPhone 5, though maps aren't one of them. Well, some people are annoyed by the removal of Bing maps, but those are the Windows Phone purists. They have very little to add other than "I hate that they removed Bing maps".

Bottom line, if you like everything about the 4, you will probably like the 5 and there is no reason you shouldn't get it. If you are interested in other OS's, use this opportunity to try something new. Who knows, you might like it, and you have very little to lose (restocking fee, and some of your time)!

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
See my responses in Red.

Cons:

Technically there is, with the LED flash. Not ideal I know, but it's there.

Wish it was a little wider, taller only, come on...

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_quickly_make_ringtone_itunes
Do a bit of research before completely bashing something. Again, it's not as easy as we would like, but it's not as difficult as you describe. It can all be done mostly within iTunes itself.

Widgets.
Customization of the home screens, etc.
Please expand on these. What widgets do you want? What kind of customization do you want? What other types of notifications do you need that aren't already there? I'm only curious because I don't normally think of needing these. Wondering what you're ideas are.

Need USB/Micro USB standard so I can use ANYONE's charger and not have to carry my own lightning cable or purchase a second one.
I think the benefits of the lightning cable over USB Micro USB have already been discussed in length on the forums.

Would definitely be nice

Big +1 again. This would be very nice to have

When I see an address, be able to touch/press it and it will open up a map so I can see where it is on the map.
I think it does this sometimes on some websites. I know it tries to recognize numbers as phone numbers or dates to add to a calendar. It's usually wrong for phone numbers.

Able to add more than 1 (or is it 2?) work numbers in the contacts list. There are some businesses that have several numbers to a business.

Able to play more file formats of video without having to download another app.
This used to be a big thing for me. I guess I got used to converting everything I have to Apple's format.

Agreed except I didn't miss it that much since a majority of my state has not had LTE anyway until recently.

Pros:

Better resale value.

(flame suit on since I know no one wants to hears the cons of their phone :p)

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I LOVE the hardware. The software, not so much. Fantastic speed, battery life, camera, graphics, design, weight, you name it. iOS has a golden ecosystem, but the interface is getting a bit long in the tooth.

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
Like: LTE, slightly bigger screen, crisper/brighter screen compared to all others on the market, consistency among ecosystem (if you have a iPad and/or Mac, extremely light

Dislike: smaller screen than I prefer, the black scratches WAY too easy (I don't like cases), same old iOS (if you like iOS and are familiar with it this can be a like, it feels stale and boring to me), not as customizable as android (but I would argue iOS is more stable and smooth).

I chose to leave out hardware, apps, and camera because I find they are all about a wash across the board.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
See my responses in Red.

Thanks for the link on the ringtones. I will check it out.

See the link below entitled "Android Nexus 4 Vs Apple iPhone 5 Review Part 1", it is a really good information on a lot of things I do NOT like about Apple (Keep in mind it I am more focused on software, not the phones):

Fast forward and start at 2:15 (He s just rambling at the beginning unless you want to hear it).
Ringtones start at 11:50'ish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4721lNCuteQ

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Thanks for the link on the ringtones. I will check it out.

See the link below entitled "Android Nexus 4 Vs Apple iPhone 5 Review Part 1", it is a really good information on a lot of things I do NOT like about Apple (Keep in mind it I am more focused on software, not the phones):

Fast forward and start at 2:15 (He s just rambling at the beginning unless you want to hear it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4721lNCuteQ

Thanks, will check it out! Every time I play with an Android or hear my friends talk about theirs, I always find myself thinking, "well that would be cool to have."

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
Cons:

Wish the screen was a little wider, taller only, come on...

Customization of the home screens, etc. like Widgets.

Need USB/Micro USB standard so I can use ANYONE's charger and not have to carry my own lightning cable or purchase a second one or another adapter. 30-pin, lightning to USB/Micro USB, etc.

When I see an address, be able to touch/press it and it will open up a map so I can see where it is on the map. (This one is hit or miss)

Able to play more file formats of video without having to download another app or converting all files to an Apple format to be able to play it o an iPhone.

Pros:

Better resale value.

(flame suit on since I know no one wants to hear the cons of their phone :p)

You can add more than 2 work phone numbers (mobile,home,work,home fax etc..)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 80

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
You can add more than 2 work phone numbers (mobile,home,work,home fax etc..)

Ok, I just tried again on my phone, and I can only add 2 work numbers. How the hek did you do that? After I add 2 work numbers, the "work" option disappears on my phone.

When I transfered contacts from Google to iPhone, it did NOT move more than 2 work numbers and the other work numbers are in limbo, disappeared.

I am also on the latest update ios 6.0.1

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
Ok, I just tried again on my phone, and I can only add 2 work numbers. How the hek did you do that? After I add 2 work numbers, the "work" option disappears on my phone.

When I transfered contacts from Google to iPhone, it did NOT move more than 2 work numbers and the other work numbers are in limbo, disappeared.

I am also on the latest update ios 6.0.1

Its keep opening new "spaces" to add another numbers, and you change to work, mobile etc..

The new space is created when you touch the second "space".ex.. If you have 2 numbers 1)mobile and 2)work, and the second space is work. Edit and touch the work phone number,and a new space is open.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Its keep opening new "spaces" to add anothers numbers, and you change to work, mobile etc..

The new space is created when you touch the second "space".ex.. If you have 2 numbers 1)mobile and 2)work, and the second space is work. Edit and touch the work phone number,and a new space is open.

Thanks, that was the way added the work numbers. After I input the 2 work numbers, and then add a third number, the option for "work" is no longer there.

But thanks anyways. I had tried this on my previous iphone 5's, and the replacement iphone I have now. None of them will let me go past 2 work numbers.

I give up, but thanks for taking the time to reply. :apple:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
Thanks, that was the way added the work numbers. After I input the 2 work numbers, and then add a third number, the option for "work" is no longer there.

But thanks anyways. I had tried this on my previous iphone 5's, and the replacement iphone I have now. None of them will let me go past 2 work numbers.

In the third space, what option appear?
Lets say in the third option is now "mobile" if you edit and touch the word mobile its suppose to open a List for you to select or change.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 52

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012

In the third space, what option appear?
Lets say in the third option is now "mobile" if you edit and touch the word mobile its suppose to open a List for you to select or change.

I noticed u have AT&T and an option for "iPhone".

Thanks for your help. It appears to be a Verizon thing. My "work" disappeared after I entered the 2nd work number.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 57
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.