Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
My less than 1-year old HTC One X is dead. I expect to get a warranty replacement but have been wanting to get an iPhone 5 because the Sense skin on the HTC is so awful (prefer it otherwise because of the bigger screen, but oh well...). What is the best way to do this? I feel like I should have a lot of leverage with AT&T -- customer for almost a decade with smart phones for the whole family. I wonder if instead of a new HTC One X I can get a free switch to the iPhone -- or equivalently some cash toward purchasing it.

Or should I take the brand new HTC One X and sell it and use the money I get for the iPhone?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

----------

One more question, is it true that it is essentially still impossible to tether from an iPhone because they see how the data are used even if it's hacked?

I tether about 100 MB of my unlimited plan every month and this was the other reason (apart from the bigger display) for switching to the HTC.

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
My less than 1-year old HTC One X is dead. I expect to get a warranty replacement but have been wanting to get an iPhone 5 because the Sense skin on the HTC is so awful (prefer it otherwise because of the bigger screen, but oh well...). What is the best way to do this? I feel like I should have a lot of leverage with AT&T -- customer for almost a decade with smart phones for the whole family. I wonder if instead of a new HTC One X I can get a free switch to the iPhone -- or equivalently some cash toward purchasing it.

Or should I take the brand new HTC One X and sell it and use the money I get for the iPhone?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

I doubt you have any substantial leverage unless you are out of contract. If you are near out of contract, they might give you an early upgrade, or discount on a new phone, etc.

That said, I think you should sell what ever they give you and buy watever you want.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I doubt you have any substantial leverage unless you are out of contract. If you are near out of contract, they might give you an early upgrade, or discount on a new phone, etc.

That said, I think you should sell what ever they give you and buy watever you want.

What's a good marketplace for selling phones?

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
What's a good marketplace for selling phones?

I do not know about good, but eBay will rape you with fees and paypal will tag team you on a second set of fees.

Craigslist: You will get less, but you have no fees. That site is full of cheap skates and time wasters and depending how much your phone is worth, you should meet at a safe place in the day time and be careful of not getting robbed.

There are too many crazy people everywhere.

Choose the lesser of 2 evils.

Maybe someone can chime in here with better avenues.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
There are places like Best Buy and Amazon and Gazell that you can trade your phone in to. You'll get less money, but its safe and easy. I'd try Craigslist before I'd go eBay because of the fees and the higher chances of getting ripped off.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
----------

[/COLOR]One more question, is it true that it is essentially still impossible to tether from an iPhone because they see how the data are used even if it's hacked?

I tether about 100 MB of my unlimited plan every month and this was the other reason (apart from the bigger display) for switching to the HTC.

Depends which plan you are on (you can get tethering plans which allow it, you will lose unlimited however I think). If you want to tether using a jailbreak app you are out of luck as, as of the current situation the iPhone 5 is un-jailbreakable.

Jinksv8

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
I would sell and go with the iPhone. Craigslist has worked before but chances are good you may not get much.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Just get the replacement One X and sell it, then get the iPhone 5.

I just recently sold my unlocked 32gb iPhone 4S for $400 on Craigslist.

Jungle Jack

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Hello,
I have sold a number of phones on CL and all in all it has been quite positive. If listing there, do be careful of the cabal of out of area buyers offering hundreds more Dollars if you agree to use PayPal. It is a well known scam.

I actually sold the Motorola Photon I was using immediately prior to the iP5 for $250 there which was absurdly fantastic. I met the buyer at the Sprint Store to provide both a safe meeting place and to provide peace of mind for the buyer that the ESN was clean.
Cheers,
JJ

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Thanks Guys. I got the iPhone 5 while waiting for the HTC replacement, since I need a phone anyway during the waiting time (which is one week). I really like the iPhone, especially ability to sync my photos and use iMessage with the family. I could live with the screen but the lack of ability to do small amounts of tethering off my unlimited plan may be the dealbreaker. It is truly astonishing to me that Apple wasn't able to use its leverage on providers there. Seems so utterly insane to be unable to use ones data plan to ones liking. I use much less than most people since I don't facetime and stream video while on the go, yet my provider should dictate me that I can't send a couple of emails and do some remote terminal sessions from my Macbook Pro while on the go? Ridiculous.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
CL is perfectly safe, and by far the best place to sell. Just follow a couple common sense safety guidelines, and the experience can be great. I've been selling for years on CL and have had nothing but perfect transactions. Every. Single. Time.

Once you find a buyer, establish a line of communication before making the transaction. Email, text, phone, etc. Talk about when/where you can meet, answer any questions the buyer may have, confirm the price, etc.

Always meet during the day and at a public place.

Bring someone with you if possible.

That's pretty much all I do.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
It seems that these days, it doesn't matter if you're a 10 year customer or 10 day customer. Good luck though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.