Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
WOW!

Just watched two YouTube videos on this phone and I was blown away!

I thought Apple was meant to be so innovative? The things this phone/OS can do just wipes the floor with the iPhone/iOS?

My iPhone 5 is being collected on Monday and a new (retail boxed - completely new unit) is being shipped out to me ... I am SERIOUSLY contemplating not even unwrapping the iPhone and selling it to buy a Galaxy Note II.

I have had so much bad luck with Apple products, so maybe this is a good time for me to try something else?

Before everyone jumps on me, I am NOT slagging off the iPhone ... I just had to share my thoughts on the two videos that I just watched of the Galaxy Note II.

Do any of you lot have any experience of this phone, in comparison to the iPhone?

jgag

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
I got a G-Note 2 from AT&T last week. I just traded it for a case of Twinkies.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
We don't care. Enjoy your tablet.

Can't wait til the phablet phase is over. And everyone who has one will then look MORE like an idiot.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
It's just I've had such bad luck with Apple's QC that it would be nice to try something else.

I must admit, the Galaxy Note II does appear to be pretty large, though - haha!

I dunno ... I'm just intrigued by it, I guess?

Also by Android, which I have never previously considered.

I have been blinkered by Apple for the past few years (since buying my iMac) so my options have been narrowed to their offerings only.

Have you yourself owned Galaxy/Android phones or tablets?

Last edited by a moderator:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The Galaxy Note II is one amazing smartphone. I've only had mine a few days, and already I understand why it strikes fear in the hearts of those who don't own one.

Like any phone, or tablet, or laptop, it's not for everyone, no device is. But for those who use a smartphone as they were designed to be used, it's a very impressive model. The amount of time I spend on my companies website, handling emails, and reading reports, is made far more efficient and enjoyable with it's gorgeous large screen.

With the robust demand growing stronger by the day, lots of people are experiencing it's undeniable advantages. I'm sure glad I was open minded & gave it a try. It's the very best smartphone for my preferences by a very wide margin.

It's also enhanced the enjoyment I get from my iPhone 4S. That's because now I don't expect that much from it. Anything I need to do with great speed & efficiency I can do with the Note II, then just use the iP4S for other things.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Have you yourself owned Galaxy/Android phones or tablets?

I had an original Nexus One after having an original iPhone and an iPhone 3G. Android was fun to play around with, but I really missed the iPhone. Since then I've had a 4, and now the 4S. I'm currently waiting for T-Mobile to get their iPhone coverage up and running in my area and then I'm going to pick up an unlocked 5.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
The Galaxy Note II is one amazing smartphone. I've only had mine a few days, and already I understand why it strikes fear in the hearts of those who don't own one.

Like any phone, or tablet, or laptop, it's not for everyone, no device is. But for those who use a smartphone as they were designed to be used, it's a very impressive model. The amount of time I spend on my companies website, handling emails, and reading reports, is made far more efficient and enjoyable with it's gorgeous large screen.

With the robust demand growing stronger by the day, lots of people are experiencing it's undeniable advantages. I'm sure glad I was open minded & gave it a try. It's the very best smartphone for my preferences by a very wide margin.

It's also enhanced the enjoyment I get from my iPhone 4S. That's because now I don't expect that much from it. Anything I need to do with great speed & efficiency I can do with the Note II, then just use the iP4S for other things.

It's nice to get a sensible, non tricky response to my original post/question ... thanks.

I've been watching more videos on the GN II and I really am intrigued by it. Android also seems to be really innovative.

The camera looks superb with features like best shot and slow mo video recording, all built into the OS.

Also split screen for running two things at once!

And being able to "float" a video while doing something else just amazes me ...

Hmm, I think the iPhone 5 could well be going!

----------

It's also enhanced the enjoyment I get from my iPhone 4S. That's because now I don't expect that much from it.

... haha!! Sorry, I had to laugh at this bit!

:D

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
You've just painted a big target on your back by posting this question in the iPhone forum. Be prepared to be flamed by Apple loyalists.

I was in the same boat as you, I could have got an iphone 5 but I eventually got the Galaxy Note 2 instead. I can definitely say that it is the right choice to go with the Galaxy Note 2. Everything is more efficient and easier to do on the Galaxy Note 2 compared to the iPhone 5, especially writing emails, copy and pasting, and copying your photos/videos/whatever. And don't give any credence to those who say it is big like an iPad because those Apple loyalists are biased and just trying to defend the iPhone when it is indefensible. You can easily fit in your pockets and typing on it is absolutely no problem.

It is still easy to use it as a phone to make phone calls. Apple loyalists say it is big because their sense of size have been warped by all the small screens in i-products. They don't know any better.

dennisjr631

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2009
I can't wait to try the galaxy note II for verizon! I've had every iphone and I have to admit it's getting boring. Apple hasn't really changed anything over the years. They upgrade the camera and make it faster. And Oh wait, this year they made the screen longer. It's like being married to the same women for years. She can change her clothes but she's still the same b**ch! Am I right or am I wrong!?!

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Android os is a dog. Had the razr maxx with ICS and it's a collective piece fragmented crap. And that's being generous.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
You've just painted a big target on your back by posting this question in the iPhone forum. Be prepared to be flamed by Apple loyalists.

... I think you just did the same thing!! :D

Seriously, I couldn't care less about negative feedback from Apple loyalists ;)

I am speaking as an "Apple person" myself, so there ya go!

I really appreciate you taking the time to feed back your views/experience of the GN II ... cheers, buddy.

Just finished watching another couple of YouTube videos on it and I am almost sold! I'd definitely get the white one, though, as I think it looks much more modern ... the black one looks plasticky to me.

I also love the fact that you can just replace the back of the phone so no more having to worry about scratching it, like I do with the iPhone.

Same goes for the battery, too ... when it knackers, you just buy another one!

Oh and I LOVE the fact that it has a built in radio ... why the hell does the iPhone not have one, when the iPod Nano does?? I like listening to talk radio but streaming over 3G is just not cost effective (plus it would drain the battery like no one's business) and WiFi is not with you all the time ...

The phone looks absolutely amazing and as I have had such a bad run with Apple products I may just get one of these GN II's and flog the unopened iPhone 5.

What did you find surprised you most about your GN II? Both good, and bad?

Thanks again ...

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
To me you have to be an idiot to get a note. Why not just hold an iPad to your head to make a call? This huge phone craze wont last.

Who still holds a phone to their ears???? Lol!! Seriously...

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Move this to the iPhone alternatives section.

Are we offending you, or threatening you in some way?

I am an IPHONE 5 owner/user who is asking for comparisons to another phone ... namely the Galaxy Note II.

Aaaaaannnnndddd rrrrrreeeeeeellllllaaaaaaaaxxxxxxxxx ...

;)

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
... I think you just did the same thing!! :D

Seriously, I couldn't care less about negative feedback from Apple loyalists ;)

I am speaking as an "Apple person" myself, so there ya go!

I really appreciate you taking the time to feed back your views/experience of the GN II ... cheers, buddy.

Just finished watching another couple of YouTube videos on it and I am almost sold! I'd definitely get the white one, though, as I think it looks much more modern ... the black one looks plasticky to me.

I also love the fact that you can just replace the back of the phone so no more having to worry about scratching it, like I do with the iPhone.

Same goes for the battery, too ... when it knackers, you just buy another one!

Oh and I LOVE the fact that it has a built in radio ... why the hell does the iPhone not have one, when the iPod Nano does?? I like listening to talk radio but streaming over 3G is just not cost effective (plus it would drain the battery like no one's business) and WiFi is not with you all the time ...

The phone looks absolutely amazing and as I have had such a bad run with Apple products I may just get one of these GN II's and flog the unopened iPhone 5.

What did you find surprised you most about your GN II? Both good, and bad?

Thanks again ...

I don't understand the drama with people talking about which is better. Really who cares they both have their advantages. I have the iPhone 5 and galaxy S3. I prefer the iPhone 5 as my everyday phone due to its size. Mostly everything Samsung puts into the phones is a gimmick. Androids are good phones as well, it is based on personal preference. I doubt anyone here will care if you get a note or not so why even post it in this forum or any forum? Go get your note and enjoy. People need to stop with this iOS v. Android crap.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I have a galaxy nexus but was playing with the note II at best buy yesterday. If my contract was up I would seriously consider it. Screen was gorgeous (IMO by far the best on any phone) and the thing was so responsive. Samsung has done a great job cleaning up touchwiz. Heard nothing but good things about the battery life as well. The size while cumbersome at first after a few days you'll be wondering why you used anything smaller. It was the same way with my galaxy nexus when switching from my droid incredible.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I can't wait to try the galaxy note II for verizon! I've had every iphone and I have to admit it's getting boring. Apple hasn't really changed anything over the years. They upgrade the camera and make it faster. And Oh wait, this year they made the screen longer. It's like being married to the same women for years. She can change her clothes but she's still the same b**ch! Am I right or am I wrong!?!

Here, Here !!

On a serious note (no pun intended!) I wouldn't have even considered moving away from Apple if I hadn't have had such a bad run with their QC.

I mean, just look at how a £2500 rMBP arrived from Apple (see attached image) ... with two dents on the bottom of the casing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 182

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Here, Here !!

On a serious note (no pun intended!) I wouldn't have even considered moving away from Apple if I hadn't have had such a bad run with their QC.

I mean, just look at how a £2500 rMBP arrived from Apple (see attached image) ... with two dents on the bottom of the casing!

Then you probably don't want to hear my story about Samsung quality control on a $5000 tv.

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
If the Note II was a bit smaller, I'd have one. It's just a bit too big for me. I used my mothers upgrade (we're not even on a family plan, but I am an authorized user and ATT made it easy) and got the 5 and gave her my 4S. Took her 4 and my old 3G and sold them to Gazelle for 200 total.

My upgrade is due in May. At that time, I'll most likely get the GS4 and pass on my 5 to my mom. With the increasing size of the GS series, would be nice if they included some of the Note features on it and allow you to purchase a S Pen separately, if not include it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I don't understand the drama with people talking about which is better. Really who cares they both have their advantages. I have the iPhone 5 and galaxy S3. I prefer the iPhone 5 as my everyday phone due to its size. Mostly everything Samsung puts into the phones is a gimmick. Androids are good phones as well, it is based on personal preference. I doubt anyone here will care if you get a note or not so why even post it in this forum or any forum? Go get your note and enjoy. People need to stop with this iOS v. Android crap.

Who the hell is comparing?

How can I compare if I don't even own the phone or have even used one??

I am simply stating how impressed I am with the YouTube reviews that I have just watched, and I am asking if anyone can give any feedback.

You say that "Mostly everything Samsung puts into the phones is a gimmick" ... well:

1: Have you not just contradicted yourself with regards to "People need to stop with this iOS v. Android crap"

and ...

2: Are you having a laugh? Siri was/is mostly a joke which doesn't really do much. And I won't even MENTION the "new" maps app ...

Look, before you or anyone else gets me wrong, I am an APPLE user ... honestly! I wear a T-shirt, a cap AND a badge!! I am a part of the Groovy Gang :)

But I was just asking if anyone could shed a bit of light with regards to the Galaxy Note II ...

----------

Then you probably don't want to hear my story about Samsung quality control on a $5000 tv.

My 3D Samsung TV cost me roughly the same price as yours and it has served me wonderfully.

I game on it with my 360 & PS3 and I simply cannot fault it.

I love the thing ...

Why does an innocent post/query have to become an Apple/Samsung mud throwing thingy?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Who the hell is comparing?

How can I compare if I don't even own the phone or have even used one??

I am simply stating how impressed I am with the YouTube reviews that I have just watched, and I am asking if anyone can give any feedback.

You say that "Mostly everything Samsung puts into the phones is a gimmick" ... well:

1: Have you not just contradicted yourself with regards to "People need to stop with this iOS v. Android crap"

and ...

2: Are you having a laugh? Siri was/is mostly a joke which doesn't really do much. And I won't even MENTION the "new" maps app ...

Look, before you or anyone else gets me wrong, I am an APPLE user ... honestly! I wear a T-shirt, a cap AND a badge!! I am a part of the Groovy Gang :)

But I was just asking if anyone could shed a bit of light with regards to the Galaxy Note II ...

Like I said I own both and I like both. Yes I agree Siri is a gimmick which Samsung poorly tried to copy with their "S-voice". If you truly just wanted to compare devices you would have posted this in the correct forum. The iPhone alternative forum was made for this type of thread. By you posting it in here it's obvious you are trying to annoy people. Personally I couldn't care less what device you get.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012

... thanks ;)

I just thought us Apple lot were happy go lucky people? A right friendly bunch kind'a thing, where we can share advice etc?

I thought of Macrumors as a kind of bar, like Cheers! You know, "where everybooooody knows your naaaaaaaaame" ... you know how the song goes, I'm useless at singing!

----------

... you is DANG right, buddy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.