Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JCstudios

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2012
Don't waste your time replacing your iPads for a while

We ordered a few of them, received them yesterday and every single one of them has a piece of dust almost in the exact same position of the screen

Went to the store today to exchange my ipad for a white one. Exact same thing with the dust

Don't even bother

+1.
They all does , but go ahead with the exchange. You will eventually settle for one once your sick and tired of exchanging it.

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
I'd exchange it until I got the perfect one or I'm truly happy with it :D

I will exchange mine again sometime. Found another speck. These iPads are seriously having an issue with dust behind the screen. Was there even a QAQC process??

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
I have dust under a lot of my older Apple products. Any advice on how to get rid of dust under glass screens? Or is there almost nothing you can do to get rid of it?

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
I will exchange mine again sometime. Found another speck. These iPads are seriously having an issue with dust behind the screen. Was there even a QAQC process??

I know and I got really pissed off about every Apple products that I bought this year.

1. I had A LOT OF problems with the screen on the iPad 3 early this year. I had 5 exchange and returned it at the end! Pink tint and dead pixels :(

2. Bought the MacBook Pro with Retina Display straight after launch, again screen problems such as the most popular ghosting issues and recently I've found a dead pixel. It wasn't' there before!! I am going to get my screen replace. :(

3. iPhone 5 (Black), I love it but I had a home button issue then exchange other one got a screen issue. Finally got a brand new retail unit from Apple Care without any hardware issues, but guess what, there is a tiny little scratch on the right hand side :mad::(

I'm just going to leave it for now! I've had enough seriously! I'm really disappointed that the iPad 4's screen still having problems! I was going to get it but I really don't want to upset myself at the end and can't enjoy the iPad!

Last edited:

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I've replace two now for this exact issue. I would recommend just waiting until manufacturing has time to catch up to retail.

I appreciate that Petey but all I have is my iMac, iPhone and (this) iPad ... I have no laptop or other mobile device so I need something for around the house.

I have become so used to the iPad now that a laptop would simply be overkill ... my iMac never sees any use, these days!

Therefore, waiting is not really an option for me.

I'm not going to waste my time returning this iPad over the weekend as my confidence in picking up a perfect unit is null, but I'll try to get out early on Monday to do it.

Thanks for the advice, though ...

----------

Maybe everything will be better when they begin using the Foxbots to make all the iPads. Should go a long way towards eliminating hair under the screen. Returned my iPad 4 tonight because of a similar issue.

You gonna buy another one, Harry?

----------

Apple precision engineers their devices. They need to engineer them for mass production.

... they also need to engineer them for real world usage (antenna gate, scuff gate - ahem!).

----------

They all does , but go ahead with the exchange. You will eventually settle for one once your sick and tired of exchanging it.

... I'm sick & tired of it already, but why should I/we settle for sub par products? None of my 559 pound notes were ripped, stained or damaged in any other way so I stuck to my end of the deal!

I'm not popping you off, so please don't think that. I'm just saying, I got bored of this returning fiasco a looooong time ago!

I just feel like Apple is either robbing me, or taking me for some kind of mug because the odd defective unit is one thing, but when it is clearly obvious that they have a flaw in their manufacturing process it just pizzes me (and a LOT of other people) off ...

I mean ... I just wanna enjoy the stuff I buy!

:(

----------

I have dust under a lot of my older Apple products. Any advice on how to get rid of dust under glass screens? Or is there almost nothing you can do to get rid of it?

... nothing, which is why I am so determined to get a "good" one at the very beginning.

And I am not interested in Apple exchanging it down the line because I am not interested in no "remanufactured" unit!

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I know and I got really pissed off about every Apple products that I bought this year.

1. I had A LOT OF problems with the screen on the iPad 3 early this year. I had 5 exchange and returned it at the end! Pink tint and dead pixels :(

2. Bought the MacBook Pro with Retina Display straight after launch, again screen problems such as the most popular ghosting issues and recently I've found a dead pixel. It wasn't' there before!! I am going to get my screen replace. :(

3. iPhone 5 (Black), I love it but I had a home button issues then exchange other one got a screen issues. Finally got one without any hardware issues, but guess what, there is a tiny little scratch on the right hand side :mad::(

I'm just going to leave it for now! I had enough seriously! I'm really disappointed that the iPad 4's screen still having problems! I was going to get it but I really don't want to upset myself at the end and can't enjoy the iPad!

Henry ... don't get me started on the retina MBP!

I had to return two of them, and gave up in the end! I even had to postpone my uni start date 'til February as my iMac had prematurely died (now repaired, at my expense) and both rMBP's arrived with issues!

The first one had dead pixels and a dodgy eyesight camera.

And the second one ... in addition to dead pixels, it arrived with two dents on the bottom of the casing!!

They were both 16gb BTO machines.

Check out the image (click/tap on it for a larger/clearer view) ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    719.9 KB · Views: 283

Moneymiike420

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
I've replace two now for this exact issue. I would recommend just waiting until manufacturing has time to catch up to retail.

Just wait until march when the next ipad comes out..then u can get another dusty one,and moan some more ..:p

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Just wait until march when the next ipad comes out..then u can get another dusty one,and moan some more ..:p

Mike ... show me the moneeeeeeeeeeey!

Seriously, getting an iPad with junk under the screen is definitely something to moan about, so let us have our moment :p

Do you reckon there will be a (nother!) refresh in March?

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Henry ... don't get me started on the retina MBP!

I had to return two of them, and gave up in the end! I even had to postpone my uni start date 'til February as my iMac had prematurely died (now repaired, at my expense) and both rMBP's arrived with issues!

The first one had dead pixels and a dodgy eyesight camera.

And the second one ... in addition to dead pixels, it arrived with two dents on the bottom of the casing!!

They were both 16gb BTO machines.

Check out the image (click/tap on it for a larger/clearer view) ...

Holy ****, this is really bad! I'm really confused with Apple, this is the best and the worst laptop I've ever had. They need to improve their QC right NOW, this is unfair for every single customers. Some might not notice anything but that doesn't mean Apple should keep doing this. I'm very disappointed with Apple, the thing is I'm stuck with Apple so I've no other choices really lol If Apple is not good enough, than no one does.

----------

Mike ... show me the moneeeeeeeeeeey!

Seriously, getting an iPad with junk under the screen is definitely something to moan about, so let us have our moment :p

Do you reckon there will be a (nother!) refresh in March?

If the iPad is not a necessary tool for you, then maybe you should consider waiting for the next generation? I know it sounds silly, it will be next year in October :eek:

Unless you have time to play the exchange game haha. Now when I buy anything from Apple, I expected at least 2 exchange for every single Apple products now! Luckily, they have got the best customer services in the would.

Last edited:

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Holy ****, this is really bad! I'm really confused with Apple, this is the best and the worst laptop I've ever had. They need to improve their QC right NOW, this is unfair for every single customers. Some might not notice anything but that doesn't mean Apple should keep doing this. I'm very disappointed with Apple, the thing is I'm stuck with Apple so I've no other choices really lol If Apple is not good enough, than no one does.

----------

If the iPad is not a necessary tool for you, then maybe you should consider waiting for the next generation? I know it sounds silly, it will be next year in October :eek:

Their QC is getting worse by the day ...

I mean, if we was talking about a £500 laptop I wouldn't really mind but this lappy was two & a half GRAND!

It's BS, it really is :confused:

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012

----------

It's necessary for me, Henry, as I use it all the time (eg I'm lounging on my sofa right now, replying to you).

The only reason I tried to buy (!) a rMBP was because my iMac died, but I've had that repaired now.

So I only have my iMac, iPhone and iPad ... I couldn't go back to being "chained to" my iMac all the time and buying a laptop is overkill, so the iPad is perfect for me (I never use my iMac now!).

I really do love the iPad & I really embraced it while my iMac was out of action (approximately 6 weeks) and I simply couldn't be without one now.

However, I simply will not accept a unit with faults, especially as I have already lost money by selling my 3rd gen iPad to upgrade ...

----------

----------

Luckily, they have got the best customer services in the world.

This is the frustrating thing ... they have excellent products, great staff and the best customer experience in the world ... but appalling QC!

I'm not really interested in all smiles and a willingness to exchange something countless times ... I just want a perfect unit in the first place so that I can go away and enjoy it :rolleyes:

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
What don't understand is how Samsung and Asus can build kit without this problem. I'm on my 3rd Nexus 7 - first one the screen was lose, second one developed a row of dead pixels after a few months. But all had perfect screens. As have all my Samsung phones. No dust, even colour.

Must be the Apple assembly process.

soldierblue

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
What don't understand is how Samsung and Asus can build kit without this problem. I'm on my 3rd Nexus 7 - first one the screen was lose, second one developed a row of dead pixels after a few months. But all had perfect screens. As have all my Samsung phones. No dust, even colour.

Must be the Apple assembly process.

They can't really, not any more than Apple can anyway. I remember having two Transformer Primes with crazy backlight bleed, a TF300 with dust under the screen and two Galaxy Tab 8.9s with tinted screens, one of which had dust under the glass.

This is a larger problem. It's not, "why can't you stop getting dust in the gap between the glass and the screen?" It's, "why is there a gap between the glass and the screen? why aren't you using optically bonded panels?"

Foxconn can't keep dust out, right? So leave it out of their hands completely.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
They can't really, not any more than Apple can anyway. I remember having two Transformer Primes with crazy backlight bleed, a TF300 with dust under the screen and two Galaxy Tab 8.9s with tinted screens, one of which had dust under the glass.

This is a larger problem. It's not, "why can't you stop getting dust in the gap between the glass and the screen?" It's, "why is there a gap between the glass and the screen? why aren't you using optically bonded panels?"

Foxconn can't keep dust out, right? So leave it out of their hands completely.

Been watching YouTube vids of the Galaxy Note II and I am blown away!

SERIOUSLY considering breaking free fom Apple and getting one of these phones instead?

I'd just return the iPad, and sell the brand new iPhone 5 replacement which I will be receiving next week ... I won't even unwrap it, and what with the supply constraints I'd no doubt be able to get almost full price for it, if not the whole price.

Please tell me, buddy, what are your experiences/views/opinions of your Galaxy products?

Apart from the screen issues, that is :p

I'd be really interested to hear ...

Thanks ;)

soldierblue

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
How is your iPad 4?

It's fine. I might even live.

Nexus devices are Google-curated collaborations with other manufacturers. The 4 is made by LG, the 7 by Asus, and the 10 by Samsung. They all run stock Android and get their updates directly from Google.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
It's fine. I might even live.

Nexus devices are Google-curated collaborations with other manufacturers. The 4 is made by LG, the 7 by Asus, and the 10 by Samsung. They all run stock Android and get their updates directly from Google.

Really appreciate the info ... cheers fella ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.