Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
First to admit I'm not an audiophile... but I could use my TAM as the sound system for a party in my house, without moving the TAM out of my study... only thing I did was connect a 3-changer CD player sound-in port, so I could leave it running longer...

Yes but it had a dedicated subwoofer lol Which in my opinion isn't something Apple would likely be planning to bundle or even create. Imagine getting your incredible all in one iMac with a single cord for power and taking up only the deskspace of a screen, then having a giant tower looking subwoofer that you are forced to wire the whole thing through. Apple has grown from that, they know people who want better sound systems can buy them from other people, and they will do the best they can in their small packages.

By the way, you owned a TAM!? Are you loaded or something those things were like $10,000

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Macs are among the best computers you can buy, and often competitively priced or even cheaper than PCs. You can get PCs with comparable specs for less, but they usually skimp on quality, design, or performance.

Bose, on the other hand, are among the best marketed but most over priced "decent at best" speakers (not headphones) you can buy.

Annnnd... it still sounds like what windows people say.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Yes but it had a dedicated subwoofer lol Which in my opinion isn't something Apple would likely be planning to bundle or even create. Imagine getting your incredible all in one iMac with a single cord for power and taking up only the deskspace of a screen, then having a giant tower looking subwoofer that you are forced to wire the whole thing through. Apple has grown from that, they know people who want better sound systems can buy them from other people, and they will do the best they can in their small packages.

By the way, you owned a TAM!? Are you loaded or something those things were like $10,000

Whilst pictures will show the TAM set up with the subwoofer/base section on your desk, most TAM owners I knew put it on the floor under the desk. It's a sub - doesn't need to be in a special position, and yes - takes up space otherwise. So you had the power cable going into the base unit, then the "umbilical" cord running from that up to the head unit. So, in terms of desk space - the TAM and the modern iMac would in fact be very similar. Actually - the TAM's keyboard was designed to slide under the TAM when not in use, so possibly the TAM beats the iMac.

I had my hifi sitting on a table next to my desk, and a mini-din audio cable connecting it to the TAM, out of sight - so no biggie. It was certainly a better option than the Cube's/iMac G4's Harmon Karmon sound package, with all external speakers.

As per my post on page 4, I bought my TAM when Steve had them marked down to only $1,999. The $10,000 price tag was I believe only an estimated price given at MacWorld 1997, though when they went on sale, it was for $7,499. This price was reduced several times over 1997, until the firesale that saw all remaining stock sell out very rapidly. With postage and import duties/exchange rate, it cost me around AU$4,400. Certainly am not rich... but I'd dreamed of owning one since they were first announced, so wasn't going to miss the opportunity.

Still own my TAM... Get plenty of people asking if I want to sell it... the answer is, and will always be, No!

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The Nexus 7 you describe does not exist, but you’re right a roughly equal Nexus 7 is cheaper than an iPad mini. Of course you’re cherry picking specs; you conveniently forget to mention the lack of LTE on the Nexus 7; or the fact it has dramatically worse battery life (like 65% of the iPad mini); a noticeably smaller screen (web browsing in landscape is awful); or the cheap build quality.

Show me some reviews of products that are cheaper than Apple, but have the same build quality. I’ve yet to see one, outside of perhaps Lenovo which make some top notch kit.

Oh really? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Desktop-Computers/All-in-One-Computers/abcat0501005.c?id=abcat0501005

Supply & demand.

So many? How many? And what exactly is your point? Should we judge the Nexus 7 on the small number of units that started to fall apart or Google’s ridiculous exchange policy (i.e. send us your Nexus we’ll get it back to you in 2 weeks).

The Lumia 920 is a great phone and Windows 8 is a wonderful OS. I’m really hoping Nokia/Microsoft succeed with the Lumia series, they both bring something valuable and unique to the mobile phone market, it’s certainly vastly superior to Android. Simple facts though, when you’re desperate to (re)gain market share and you can’t markedly outperform the competition you have to compete on price.

Umm many reviewers actually got better battery life with the nexus 7 especially during video playback.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
No Hair?

His head looks like Steve's used to with the whole chrome dome thing he's got going on now. Will we see him regrow his hair?

It seems like his veracity is unchanged since he made this vid.

aliasfox

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
The TAM was electronically pretty much the same thing as a PowerBook 3400, with a slightly faster processor (250mhz vs 240mhz). Even the keyboard and screen were the same, if I recall correctly.

For those who are asking about sound systems that are better than Bose:

- For significantly less than a Bose audio cube surround sound system, get a KEF surround sound set up that sounds better and more stylish

- For an iPod dock, the B&W Zeppelin blows the Sounddock out of the water.

- For a movie oriented system with real speakers, Paradigm Mini Monitors will provide a good punch

- For a budget, good all around system, build either a stereo or surround system off of PSB Alpha B1 speakers ($280/pair) and a midrange Onkyo/Denon/Yamaha/Pioneer receiver. PSB's Imagine towers that go for ~$3k/pair sound incredible too.

Personally, I run a pair of B&W 804s speakers for my fronts, MM-1 for my surrounds, off of a McIntosh amplifier (fronts) and Denon receiver (preamp processor and rear amps).

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
The TAM was electronically pretty much the same thing as a PowerBook 3400, with a slightly faster processor (250mhz vs 240mhz). Even the keyboard and screen were the same, if I recall correctly.

The TAM and PB3400 certainly shared the same keyboard (internals) and similar processor, even the same sized screen. The TAM of course had a lot more connectivity and video in/out capabilities however.

When Steve dropped the price on the TAM, any existing owners who complained about having paid the original higher price were bribed with a PowerBook (or 2!)... Not sure which model any more, but would laugh if it was the 3400...

theanimaster

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
So THATS where all the other companies copied the specked-metal finish for their plastics!

----------

I guess that's why they no longer produce the iPod HIFI?

designtopdefault20060228.jpg

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Brand new 1988 Hyundai Excel, on the lot, stickered at $7499. I was 19 years old.

The engine in that thing was ludicrously underpowered. If I was going 55MPH on the highway, downhill, and the air conditioner kicked on, it would slow down. Not kidding!

Jesus, that thing must have had a tiny engine - Because usually (well, in my experience, anyway) small cars are quite zippy because of their light weight, so they don't need that big of an engine...

...At least it had airconditioning tho :D

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
How many of you have actually heard one of these? ;)

On that Q, as someone who has... even if you've listened to the TAM's unique startup chime on another computer... it's not the same... It just doesn't sound right... You've gotta hear it on a TAM...

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
On that Q, as someone who has... even if you've listened to the TAM's unique startup chime on another computer... it's not the same... It just doesn't sound right... You've gotta hear it on a TAM...

It is intoxicating to the ear drum hahaha. I agree, it must be heard on a TAM to get the true sound.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
I bought my first LCD based all-in-one in 1997:

image.jpg

Made by Monorail Computers, lacked oomph but was a really fun little computer to use. Years later, after getting my first broadband connection (3.5Mbps in 2000 - WOW! :eek:), threw a ethernet card in the one available ISA slot and set it in the kitchen as an internet terminal for the family.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Back in the day, this Bose system was KING across any & all competitors! Single evenhandedly or even if the competition was a collaboration.

No, no they weren't.

No highs no lows, it must be Bose!

The only thing Bose ever made worth buying are their travelers headphones. Everything else is super overpriced.

This is my experience with BOSE products, some others might perfer them. But everything Ive ever heard from bose just sounds kinda " Mushy "

Last edited:

sagnier

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Bring back the Large Rubber Component! Things have never been the same since that was abandoned...

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Umm many reviewers actually got better battery life with the nexus 7 especially during video playback.

Just curious: where are you getting this information? You seem to say things that aren't at all true. I can't find a single review where the Mini doesn't best the 7 by at least a couple of hours. You mentioned Engadget in another post about the Nexus 7 getting better battery life. Engadget got 12:43 for the iPad Mini and 9:49 for the Nexus 7.

You seem to have a bad habit of posting completely false information. It's fine if you don't want or like Apple products (I assume that you like Android, nothing wrong with that), but you can't just make up things and state them as fact.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD
just because i complemented his sexiness does not mean its a spam, dumbass

Wasn't you dumbass. The mods removed the spam. Let me tell you how the board works since you lack intelligence. If you reply twice in a row, the board joins the posts together, but separated by a -------- line. Your post, I actually liked and placed two :D :D after. But now I realize you are not a likable person.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003

Nope. Before I debunk that notion though, you missed the point entirely, cherry picking tech specs is a fallacious way to make an argument. I was pointing out I could do the same with the iPad mini.

The Verge
I squeezed roughly six hours out of a fully charged device on 65 percent brightness, with webpages loading constantly

Anandtech
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6073/the-google-nexus-7-review/7

Gizmodo
It (Nexus 7) lasted for 9+ hours of battery life with pretty heavy use, so no worries there.

Engadget
In our standard battery run-down test, which entails looping a video with WiFi enabled and a fixed display brightness, the iPad mini managed an astounding 12 hours and 43 minutes. This gives it the longest battery life of any tablet we've ever tested

Nexus 7 9:49

ArsTechnica
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012...-googles-nexus-7-is-a-fantastic-200-tablet/4/
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/11/the-skinny-on-the-mini-its-not-the-size-that-counts/3/

When reading, I found that I got about nine hours and 45 minutes out of the battery on the Nexus 7—just shy of Google's estimate

From playing that modern cinema classic Transformers: Dark of the Moon, we found that the Nexus 7 got a solid nine hours and 15 minutes of battery life

I was able to squeeze an almost surprising 12 hours of solid Internet-surfing time out of the iPad mini before it needed a recharge

The results from this test were even longer than the Internet-surfing test: 13 hours and 30 minutes. I often get more life out of watching video than active use of the Internet, so this wasn't a huge shock. The iPad mini didn't get warm at all during this test either

I’m not saying the Nexus 7 is a bad device, or the battery life is poor I actually own one, and being fortunate enough to use both I know, objectively speaking the iPad mini hardware is definitively superior. Again that doesn’t make the Nexus 7 anymore than a BMW doesn’t make a Honda bad.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Back in the day, this Bose system was KING across any & all competitors! Single evenhandedly or even if the competition was a collaboration.

No, no they weren't.

No highs no lows, it must be Bose!

The only thing Bose ever made worth buying are their travelers headphones. Everything else is super overpriced.

This is my experience with BOSE products, some others might perfer them. But everything Ive ever heard from bose just sounds kinda " Mushy "

See, this is a perfect example of what I wrote earlier. Are either of you discussing products even close to each other? I can't tell what product either of you mean, so a blanket "no" statement is either questionable or downright pointless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.