Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natd1993

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Great Britain
I've had my iPhone 5 since launch day and have had no problems up until about a week ago. It's one of my most prized possessions (along with all my other Apple products) so I've been super careful with it, and have never dropped the phone. However, the sleep/wake button is very unresponsive. It's fine when pushing on the left most side of the button, but the rest to the right is completely unresposive. Any ideas as to how I go about fixing this?

Thanks.

treycopeland86

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2006
Kentucky
The same thing has happened to me. About two weeks ago, my sleep button started going out on the right side. You have to press the sleep button on the left side for it to respond. I have never dropped the phone and have it inside an Otterbox.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
Mine still works, but I've noticed its becoming more flush with the rest of the case. Anyone else noticed something like this?

princeyatx

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
I'm on my 3rd iPhone 5 - first two had this problem

This is apparently a known iPhone 5 problem, though Apple doesn't discuss it much.

My first iPhone 5 sleep button was inoperable. They replaced it at the store. I had my 2nd iPhone 5 for the past 90 days. Sleep button worked great. All of a sudden, in the past 2 weeks, it started working only intermittently.

I had it replaced today at the store. There is a workaround they'll tell you about turning on accessibility features to be able to lock the phone.... no one wants to do this, of course.... have them replace the phone.

The rep I talked to says he sees a lot of these.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.