Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I just installed an EVGA GF680 2GB card into my 2010 MP today. I installed the NV drivers, and also their CUDA drivers.

First, I was surprised to see a CUDA applet in System Preferences but nothing for the card itself.

Second, what's the secret to searching for the latest drivers from NV? I see the links in the OP but there has to be a way to search their site an I've not figured it out.

When updates are available, is there a way to remove the old driver? Is that necessary?

Thanks

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Currently, to find latest driver on Nvidia site, you do a google serach for "Nvidia Driver"

It should get you to their driver search page.

Choose "Quadro" and "Mac Quadro 4000" then your version of Mac OS.

If you don't see choices for Mac, you haven't choosen right Quadro section from the top.

Basically, depending on your choices on top part, the choices below will change.

Hopefully this will change soon when the (delayed) K5000 for Mac is released.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
When updates are available, is there a way to remove the old driver? Is that necessary?

Thanks

Not necessary, if a Software Update contains new drivers it will overwrite the existing ones. Same with the NVIDIA installer.

MDangerous

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2008
Gotcha!
1. Mac Pro 3,1
2. 10.8.2 and 304.00.05f02
3. What exactly am I looking for in /var/log/system.log? I went to Console and System Logs and filtered NVDA. I see the following error repeated over and over but not sure if this is what I'm looking for....

Nov 1 20:57:18 my-name-mac-pro-2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error

Edit: I also see these...
Oct 31 15:55:14 my-name-mac-pro-2 kernel[0]: NVDA: Unable to use shared channel!
Oct 31 15:55:14 my-name-mac-pro-2 kernel[0]: NVDA: Calling glrKillClient for task 0xffffff802eb4d1a8

Oct 31 18:30:28 my-name-mac-pro-2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!
Oct 31 18:30:28 my-name-mac-pro-2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error

The some more errors I got this morning after trying to run Google Earth 7.0.1.8244 (beta) again.

Nov 3 10:23:15 my-name-mac-pro-2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x8 = Fifo: Watchdog Timeout Error
Nov 3 10:23:15 my-name-mac-pro-2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x20 = PBDMA Error
Nov 3 10:25:05 my-name-mac-pro-2 kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel timeout!

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
The some more errors I got this morning after trying to run Google Earth 7.0.1.8244 (beta) again.

Right, so there's definitely something going wrong, all of those errors point to memory access problems by the GPU. Could be an app bug, a driver bug, who knows.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
There's a new driver for 10.7.5 up:

295.00.05f03

Interestingly enough, it lists the MacPro1,1 (2006) and MacPro2,1 (2007) as officially supported. Might be worth updating, especially if you're using a PC card in one of those systems. I'm going to try my GTS 450 to see if that hang bug has been fixed later today.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
I'm going to try my GTS 450 to see if that hang bug has been fixed later today.

Confirming that this driver does appear to contain the same fix that shipped in the 10.8.1 web driver, my GTS 450 handles sleep/wake and modesets just fine. Good news for anyone stuck on Lion that was using one of those cards.

combo

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2011
There's a new driver for 10.7.5 up:

295.00.05f03

Interestingly enough, it lists the MacPro1,1 (2006) and MacPro2,1 (2007) as officially supported. Might be worth updating, especially if you're using a PC card in one of those systems. I'm going to try my GTS 450 to see if that hang bug has been fixed later today.

Hey Asgorath, it might be good to update the OP with the fact that you need to select Quadro and Quadro 4000 as the card type when checking the nvidia website for the latest and greatest drivers (as MacVidCards just noted).

I kept scratching my head for a few days when I selected selected my actual card (gtx 670) and couldn't find Mac as a suitable OS. Once I backtracked a bit from the links you provided, I figured out what was going on. Might save some people a little bit of grief.

Either way, thanks for consolidating all that information. Friggin' beautiful.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Hey Asgorath, it might be good to update the OP with the fact that you need to select Quadro and Quadro 4000 as the card type when checking the nvidia website for the latest and greatest drivers (as MacVidCards just noted).

I kept scratching my head for a few days when I selected selected my actual card (gtx 670) and couldn't find Mac as a suitable OS. Once I backtracked a bit from the links you provided, I figured out what was going on. Might save some people a little bit of grief.

Either way, thanks for consolidating all that information. Friggin' beautiful.

Well, that's why I have all the drivers listed in the OP, to avoid any confusion. Don't forget that the drivers won't show up for cards like the GTX 670 because they're not officially supported, they just happen to mostly work pretty well. I'll update the OP with the Quadro 4000 info just in case, though.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
LOL I think my question has been overlooked so I apologise for asking again... but..

Are there any 670 or 680 cards with two display ports?

I'd love to run my twin 24" Cinema Displays without the need for a converter box for DVI > MDP.

Scottie

Anderton

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
Sweden
Confirming that this driver does appear to contain the same fix that shipped in the 10.8.1 web driver, my GTS 450 handles sleep/wake and modesets just fine. Good news for anyone stuck on Lion that was using one of those cards.

Can also confirm that my GT 520 works with sleep/wake and modesets just fine in Lion.

Last edited:

stmp

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
new 10.7.5 drivers

Hi Asgorath,

Thanks first and foremost for all the effort you have put into this thread.

Curious if you or anyone had a chance to test any Kepler 6xx series cards in a Mac Pro 1,1 or 2,1 using the new drivers you posted about in this thread on 7 November.

Thanks again!

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Hi Asgorath,

Thanks first and foremost for all the effort you have put into this thread.

Curious if you or anyone had a chance to test any Kepler 6xx series cards in a Mac Pro 1,1 or 2,1 using the new drivers you posted about in this thread on 7 November.

Thanks again!

I don't have access to a MacPro1,1 or MacPro2,1 so no, unfortunately not. AFAIK there aren't any Kepler GPUs that work with Lion (10.7.5 + 295.00.05f03), even though the MBPs shipped with Lion to begin with. Fermi GPUs should work fine though, including the 6xx cards based on them.

Edit: TBH I'd just get a GTX 560 Ti or a GTX 570 if you have a MacPro1,1 or MacPro2,1.

zerb

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
i recently put a GTX570 2.5gb in my 09 pro, the install went flawlessly on all fronts...CUDA, OpenCL, etc. My one question i have here though is what ports work/dont work on the card? i am looking to hook up a spare 32" HDTV i have to the HDMI port on the GPU, will that work out for me?

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
i recently put a GTX570 2.5gb in my 09 pro, the install went flawlessly on all fronts...CUDA, OpenCL, etc. My one question i have here though is what ports work/dont work on the card? i am looking to hook up a spare 32" HDTV i have to the HDMI port on the GPU, will that work out for me?

Why don't you plug it in and see if it works? You can't damage anything by trying this. To be clear, everything we've learned has come from trial and error, my FAQ post is just an up-to-date summary of all this information.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Hi I was wondering what are the best Nvidia cards that are known to work on a Mac Pro 2.1?

What OS are you running? If Lion, then pretty much any Fermi generation card will work. If Snow Leopard, then your options are very limited.

Assuming you are running Lion, then:

- Get a GTX 570 if you have an unlimited budget
- Otherwise, get a GTX 560 or GTX 560 Ti

A quick NewEgg search suggests the 560s are down in the $170 range, which is great for a card of that generation.

Edit: When I have some time, I'll update the OP with more details for MacPro1,1 and MacPro2,1 owners such as yourself.

zerb

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
Why don't you plug it in and see if it works? You can't damage anything by trying this. To be clear, everything we've learned has come from trial and error, my FAQ post is just an up-to-date summary of all this information.

Good call. I only have one monitor at the moment but I can confirm that the HDMI out on the GTX570 2.5gb (non flashed) works on my 09 pro. Once I get my second monitor I will play with plugging things into other ports at the same time and see what works and what doesn't.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
What OS are you running? If Lion, then pretty much any Fermi generation card will work. If Snow Leopard, then your options are very limited.

Assuming you are running Lion, then:

- Get a GTX 570 if you have an unlimited budget
- Otherwise, get a GTX 560 or GTX 560 Ti

A quick NewEgg search suggests the 560s are down in the $170 range, which is great for a card of that generation.

Edit: When I have some time, I'll update the OP with more details for MacPro1,1 and MacPro2,1 owners such as yourself.

Hi yes I am running Lion, so pretty much just in play and they should work out of the box? Wow thanks I would sure like some more details this is my first Mac Pro :)

RipperG

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
MacPro 3,1 with GTX 560 Fermi

Thanks for this post Asgorath,

I installed a Gigabyte GTX 560 Fermi as I was on a budget but wanted a card that was quiet and ran cool! Runs great! I have been using my ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT since 2008! I was way overdue for an upgrade!

This is the one I installed http://ca.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3881#ov

FSX runs great and X-plane 10 runs very well.

Cheers

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
No EFI so no boot screen but with my SSD in the MP it's okay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.