Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jomarr

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
Wow this is a great find. I'm planning on selling iPod Touch because storage is getting very limited and an SSD Classic sounds really great! I'm buying a 160 GB Classic for $146. This will be great! Thanks.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
My classic hdd died (0 retracts and a lot of reallocs), it was the second since the first was toast after the first year, really well taken care of, since it never leaves home now the replacement got toast and I have no warranty left.

Anyway I managed to open it without bending the casing (the only device worse that I opened was one that was completely filed with epoxy). I used lots of really small blades to open the ipod.

Still I managed to foobar the headphone connector (the cable itself got torn), on the bright side it works with an 30gb hdd that I had laying around, albeit no sound at all.

Anybody went with the compact flash route?

jomarr

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
Just bought a classic! I'll be doing this eventually. I just realized that I need more storage than apps! Lol.

iPhisch

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Indiana
Bringing this back to the top. My 160gb fat classic is not working properly and I need a new project. For thos eof you who have attempted this ssd swap, how did you get the software to work properly on the new drive? Carbon Copy Clone? Or did you just plug it into itunes and restore the software. Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread. I was looking at the OWC PATA 2008 MacBook air replacement drives, or any other ZIF PATA options out there. I figure if the iPod from 2007 doesn't work, what's the harm in ripping it apart?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Bringing this back to the top. My 160gb fat classic is not working properly and I need a new project. For thos eof you who have attempted this ssd swap, how did you get the software to work properly on the new drive? Carbon Copy Clone? Or did you just plug it into itunes and restore the software. Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread. I was looking at the OWC PATA 2008 MacBook air replacement drives, or any other ZIF PATA options out there. I figure if the iPod from 2007 doesn't work, what's the harm in ripping it apart?

I second this - looking at a kingspec on eBay. Seems like a good price and seller has 99% feedback....

Anyone put in a kingspec 1.8" zif pata?

metroidnemesis

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2009
I second this - looking at a kingspec on eBay. Seems like a good price and seller has 99% feedback....

Anyone put in a kingspec 1.8" zif pata?

The kingspecs are too low voltage. They won't work. Check my link I posted--there is a lot more info about what works and what doesn't.

jailwut wunnow

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
[/COLOR]
Does everyone that performed the upgrade's iPod still work? My 120 gb 6th gen just died and I am probably going to install a super talent in it. Anyone else should check out this thread. Apparently it's a thing.

I did mine in may 2011 [post #65]. Of course I did not take any pictures. It has been running just fine since then. I used the SuperTalent 64gb in my 6th gen, and yes it must be 3.3v.

Here is the exact one I bought: https://www.superbiiz.com/query.php?s=FZM64GF18H

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Bumping this again......

I created another thread, but figured maybe people would check back here...

In the middle of finishing my refurb job and am trying to fit the SSD. I bought a Super Talent 128GB DuraDrive ZT2 Pata ZIF SSD and have had no luck so far.

I ordered my first and was immediately met with the "red x" so I returned it as defective. Now I'm not so sure....my second one has also shown a "red x" and I can't get the drive to be read while in the iPod (6th gen 80GB slim). I know all the other components work as the original HD still boots up and everything.

It seems like others who have used Super Talent drives used the MasterDrive version (FZM28GF18H) versus the DuraDrive (FZM28GW18P) I used. I've been searching for days, but haven't been able to come up with ANY difference that would cause the failure of the DuraDrive - and its a newer, faster drive.

I have an enclosure coming to see if there's some formatting issue. I hope that's all it is. Otherwise, I will be returning yet another drive and simply ordering the older MasterDrive from Amazon (provided they still have any in stock by then).

I'll report back when I've figured some of this out - if it works, I'll post pics.

But for now, I'd advise people to stay away from the DuraDrive ZT2 if you're modding a 6th gen 80GB Slim (unless anyone has any suggestions)?

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
Bumping this again......

I created another thread, but figured maybe people would check back here...

In the middle of finishing my refurb job and am trying to fit the SSD. I bought a Super Talent 128GB DuraDrive ZT2 Pata ZIF SSD and have had no luck so far.

I ordered my first and was immediately met with the "red x" so I returned it as defective. Now I'm not so sure....my second one has also shown a "red x" and I can't get the drive to be read while in the iPod (6th gen 80GB slim). I know all the other components work as the original HD still boots up and everything.

It seems like others who have used Super Talent drives used the MasterDrive version (FZM28GF18H) versus the DuraDrive (FZM28GW18P) I used. I've been searching for days, but haven't been able to come up with ANY difference that would cause the failure of the DuraDrive - and its a newer, faster drive.

I have an enclosure coming to see if there's some formatting issue. I hope that's all it is. Otherwise, I will be returning yet another drive and simply ordering the older MasterDrive from Amazon (provided they still have any in stock by then).

I'll report back when I've figured some of this out - if it works, I'll post pics.

But for now, I'd advise people to stay away from the DuraDrive ZT2 if you're modding a 6th gen 80GB Slim (unless anyone has any suggestions)?

from the spces, it looks like the DuraDrive is a 5volt drive, and the MasterDrive is a 3.3volt drive. the ipod needs the 3.3volt version.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Amazon shows 5v power:
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Talent-128GB-DuraDrive-Solid/dp/B0055QM2LE

SupoerBiz shows 5v:
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FZM28GW18P

it is POSSIBLE that the store pages are wrong, but i would second guess and go with the known working drive.

Damn.....this is the page I ordered from

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CAS1SW/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No voltage specs - I just went with what I saw and read - that it wasn't until you get to 256GB drives that you hit 5V.....

Oh well. I guess I'll just return it and grab the MasterDrive.

hadezheremans

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2013
Ipod Classic 7th gen (?) 160gb

Hi guys

I have read this thread completely and I do want to change my iPods hdd. I bought this one only 1 month ago and it just died. Hdd is broken. You can hear it trying to start but without results.
So i decided to change it myself (no warranty since they will replace it with the same hdd). Now that sdd you guys used (FZM28GF18H) is not that common any more (and not at all in Belgium, which is where i'm from).
Do you have any other suggestions that will work? Do i just need to make sure that it is a 1.8 inch, 3.3v, Pata Zif connector or are there other requirements? Anyone else who has installed other sdd that worked?
Ty already for all the usable information on this forum :)

Kind regards
Alexander

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Want to confirm - I got the new SSD and it works....only problem is, I had trouble clicking it back together and had to dismantle the thing again, effectively ruining the new faceplate and backing I had bought.....also busted the LCD again.

SOOO

I have ordered a new faceplate, backing and LCD and when they get here I'll be a lot more careful about how I fit the pieces back together - I was in too much of a hurry last night, late and I was tired and wanted the damn thing completed!

Oh well.....at least the most expensive piece is here and finally works!

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
any one want to buy my classic for one of these projects? i really dont use it anymore. it has a working 120gb HDD in it currently. let me know, and i'll make it official in the "For Sale" section.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
And here it is! All finished :D

Attachments

• 2013-07-11 18.19.05.jpg
    2013-07-11 18.19.05.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 402
  • 2013-07-11 18.19.12.jpg
    2013-07-11 18.19.12.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 396

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Unfortunately, I wasn't as careful as I should've been and got a hair (likely from my puppy) stuck between the screen and LCD.....will probably bug the heck out of me, though not enough to go through the trouble of opening it up again! :p

Almost done loading all my music on it - not sure why only 115GB free.....probably should've done a re-format before loading music onto it but at this point, I'm still a ways off from hitting the 100GB mark for my music anyways!

Its amazing how much lighter the iPod seems with the SSD - and I'm stoked at the additional 35GB of space!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.