Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
10/27 - Ordered the Mini WiFi, was told I could tether it to my iPhone 5 and get GPS

11/02 - Mini WiFi comes, tethering carrying GPS statement was inaccurate. need cellular

11/02 - Ordered Cellular Mini, Est Delivery 11/16

11/04 - Site updated my delivery from "Delivers 11/16" to "Ships Mid November"

11/07 - I received email from Apple saying "We will be shipping your iPad within 5 days"

11/12 - 5 days passed. No shipment.

11/13 - Apple site updated showing my order delivers 11/21

11/16 - I get shipping notice that says "Shipped: Delivers 11/22"

11/16 - I call FedEx and they said Apple missed the cutoff and as a result, the true delivery date would be 11/26

11/17 - I go into store and buy the Mini Cellular, and plan to return the one shipped to me.

11/17 - I get home, set up the Mini, and it has FOUR dead pixels

11/17 - I call the store back and they said all they can do is make me an appointment at the genius bar for two days later, and replace it with a brown box "refurb"

11/18 - I go into another store, and they happen to have them, and exchange it. I try it in the store, and it powers up, the screen flashed, then the entire right side of the screen died. Ouch. They exchanged it again, and now I SEEM to have one that works.

Tell me that's not a story worth being upset about.

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
What is the point of tethering the wifi Mini to an iPhone? The wifi Mini has no GPS capabilities in the first place and if you have an iPhone which already has one, why would you even need to do anything other than using the iPhone for GPS?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
What is the point of tethering the wifi Mini to an iPhone? The wifi Mini has no GPS capabilities in the first place and if you have an iPhone which already has one, why would you even need to do anything other than using the iPhone for GPS?

You can do anything on an iPhone you can do on an iPad but clearly that doesn't stop people from buying both.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I'm trying to buy a WiFi iPad mini Black 32GB and they're all SOLD OUT in NYC.

I've been trying to place an order for pick up on the Apple website but "no shipments" are in, apparently.

I wish foreigners would just buy stuff in their own country.

I am livid at how ridiculous it has become to buy an Apple product.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011

I've been trying to place an order for pick up on the Apple website but "no shipments" are in, apparently.

Devaluation of the dollar, apple controlling supply to artificially create a sense of urgent demand, crappy fulfillment process as of late. Take your pick its the new apple.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Apple didn't have the foresight to see how crazy sales were going to be on the iPad mini during a holiday season? Surely they're not that naive.

I almost feel like buying a Nexus 7.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Apple didn't have the foresight to see how crazy sales were going to be on the iPad mini during a holiday season? Surely they're not that naive.

I almost feel like buying a Nexus 7.

Then do it.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Not sure how you got an estimated delivery 11/16 ordering on 11/2, since you didn't order on launch day. On preorder launch day they were listed as available to ship mid November and estimated deliver date between 11/20-11/23 depending on when ordered on launch day. Your estimated delivery did change, but guess what, your cellular shipped out mid November like it stated from the beginning. It shipped on 11/16. Most launch day cellular Minis shipped 11/13-11/15.

Those whining and complaining on here remind of little kids saying, "Are we there yet?" It was stated that they were available to ship mid November and that's when they shipped. It's not like it's December 1st and they missed the mid November shipping guarantee.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Bottom line is that Apple is struggling to meet demand. These new displays and Apple complicated assembly because these things are so thin have created havoc in the manufacturing. Not making excuses that is just the reality of the situation. You don't think Apple wants these things in the hands of everyone that wants to buy one?

Last edited by a moderator:

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
One person's issue does not make a failed launch. Really, the only issue I am seeing with the launch is lack of stock, which is pretty common with many new Apple products.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
the iPad 4's pre-order launch was botched as well.

go check out those threads and see countless customers (such as myself) who pre-ordered right when pre-ordering went live yet our's shipped 5 days after people who pre-ordered 2 weeks ago. the whole process got messed up for so many people, apple was dishing out smart covers left and right. i got so fed up with the nonsense from Apple that i demanded $50 off and a smart case. long story short, they complied plus they gave me a $45 off $300 coupon code as well. my ipad 4 lte didn't ship until last night, whereas many others shipped earlier in the week.

the iPad Mini and iPad 4 pre-order rollouts were an epic fail. throw in the ongoing iPhone 5 supply issues. it really makes you wonder what the heck is going on. imagine what the iPad 5 will be like when it's a total redesign - perhaps Apple will lease out a squadron of C17's

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Like the previous poster a couple of people having some delivery issues doesn't make for a failed launch. I understand people wanting these things, but I also believe Apple wants to deliver them and if they had the stock without the manufacturing issues that have been expressed this wouldn't be an issue.

AlanKA

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
I've paid attention to the launch of every product since the first iPhone in 2007. I've had ever model of iPhone, and every iPad. This launch, by far, was the most bungled launch in Apple's history. I could go on an on with the sob story about my Mini order..but no one really cares about that.

That said, I think the fact that Apple is shelling out free smart covers, and $100 shopping sprees if you complain enough (I got both, btw)....clear evidence that even Apple knows what screw-up this launch was.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I don't imagine the ipad heist helped matters any either. I understand your frustration OP. Hopefully Apple gets it together soon.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Frankly you should by a Nexus 7. It may not be the thing of beauty that a Mini is but the screen is vastly superior and the device is a better shape to use and once you stick it in a case who cares.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
Wow hahaha. A tad frustrated? It's ok, I'm annoyed as well. Apple charges premium prices and I don't feel like I'm getting premium products anymore. Before anyone starts attacking me. What I mean is: apple puts out devices just good enough compared to competitors. I guess it's smart business strategy and the average person doesn't calculate apples costs or even bothers to take the time to think about their marketing ploys.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Devaluation of the dollar, apple controlling supply to artificially create a sense of urgent demand, crappy fulfillment process as of late. Take your pick its the new apple.

This is the most ridiculous FUD being spread as do late. Apple does NOT need to limit supply in order to create demand. Apple wants to sell as many of these things as they can. Limiting supply = fewer sales.

----------

Wow hahaha. A tad frustrated? It's ok, I'm annoyed as well. Apple charges premium prices and I don't feel like I'm getting premium products anymore. Before anyone starts attacking me. What I mean is: apple puts out devices just good enough compared to competitors. I guess it's smart business strategy and the average person doesn't calculate apples costs or even bothers to take the time to think about their marketing ploys.

This has been said about Apple since forever. Yet people keep buying their stuff. Tell us exactly what's just "good enough" about the 4th gen iPad or iPhone 5?

Dstopsie

macrumors 68010
Jun 22, 2010
LOS ANGELES BABY!!
I don't understand what the big drama is if you want the iPad so badly just call Mac Mall they have every model in stock except for the 16 gig white mini. they don't have the cellular versions yet but they have all the Wi-Fi versions and they are the same price as the Apple Store and you get free standard 2 to 3 day shipping.

I have a friend of mine who is leaving the leaving the country tonight and he thought he could just walk into the Apple store and buy an iPad mini this morning as he had no idea they were in such short supply and high demand. He was adamant that he had to have this before he left the country. And he tells me this on Friday. I called Mac mall and had it overnight delivery and I received it yesterday. It's perfect no stuff marks nothing, delivery was as promised service was as promised and he's happy he has his iPad Mini.

I totally understand the frustration of not being able to get it when it was promised and when you wanted but in that case I would just take other measures to be able to obtain what I want. In other words I would try the reservation system Best Buy target and in the last ditch scenario I would order it from someone who has it in stock such as Mac mall. After all it still has the same 1 year warranty and if he has any problems he just takes it to apple for warranty issues.

I myself sold my iPad 3 and pre-ordered my iPad 4 16 gig white Wi-Fi which I received on November 2. It wasn't till Sunday, November 5 that I decided to get an iPad mini for portability issues. I went on the reservation system and granted it did take four nights but I was able to get my white 16 gig iPad mini.

In the future if I'm ever in a pinch again I would definitely order from Mac mall if I was not able to get it from the Apple store in a timely manner.

I don't think the big honchos it Apple sit around and their board room and decide what they can do to create hype and create demand for their products. I think they have better things to do like running their company. What i do think is that the public likes the quality of their products and how easy it is to use the iOS operating system. while it maybe not the best out there is really the most intuitive system out there and it just is so easy to operate. And don't forget it's not just the demand in the United States Apple also releases these products through out the entire world and there are many many other countries which want their products. So there is a worldwide demand for anything Apple.

I'm sorry for the long post but I guess what I'm trying to say is if you want something bad enough you just go out and find other measures to get it.:):):)

Aspasia

macrumors 65816

Have you considered that maybe Hurricane Sandy had something to do with the delay?

Quoting the FedEx red-lettered notice on my own order:

Service has resumed throughout the Northeast. Note that some isolated areas remain inaccessible and there may be on-going service delays due to power outages, flooding, storm debris or other conditions as a result of Superstorm Sandy.

As always, FedEx appreciates your business and your patience during weather-related disruptions. We encourage you to continue to check fedex.com for the latest news. You can also contact FedEx Customer Service at 1.800.GoFedEx 1.800.463.3339 or stay up to date by subscribing service disruption e-mail notifications FedEx E-Mail Subscription Center.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
If you want an android device, then the Nexus 7 is very good for the money.

I don't see it as an alternative to anything Apple. Totally different OS. Guess one has to decide what they want.

By the way the nexus 7 launch failed big time. Go talk to Staples and EBX about that for starters.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
10/27 - Ordered the Mini WiFi, was told I could tether it to my iPhone 5 and get GPS

11/02 - Mini WiFi comes, tethering carrying GPS statement was inaccurate. need cellular

The iPad (mini included) will use your iPhone's GPS if tethered. I've heard it's not fast enough for turn-by-turn while driving, but it does work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.