Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
cool story:

After 2 days of my new iPad mini, I have to declare that using the mini for games is awesome. More awesome than an iphone 5 AND and ipad 3 combined. Sure the 9.7" is great for game display but it's heavy and definitely a chore to play with. On the mini, it's absolutely perfect. No real analog controls but the light weight and smaller size is a joy to use for gaming. The graphics is fantastic as well and nearly all the games run so well, it's absolutely amazing.

I didn't expect this because I was so infatuated with the "terrible screen display" - which it is not but only when not compared to the retina ipad. The mini is a wonderful device!

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I was waiting for a gaming thread to inquire what cool games are on iOS and not on android that you can recommend?

I like racing and shooters. I tried and love RR2, not sure that is on android but it rocks on the Mini!

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
I was waiting for a gaming thread to inquire what cool games are on iOS and not on android that you can recommend?

I like racing and shooters. I tried and love RR2, not sure that is on android but it rocks on the Mini!

Real racing for me is OK - I was expecting GT5 quality (if you can call it quality) but it's still OK...but being a hard core GT5 and Forza player, I can tell you it's not even close.

For racing stuff, I like riptide (it's also on android but better, has all the graphics bells and whistles (water splash, effects) - it's only now available on the iphone 5 (the effects that are present on the android tegra 3 devices).

There's sling shot racing, there is the other vector unit racers as well. Most of the racing stuff is average stuff - but shooters there are so many!

I can't even begin to list the great ones but you should visit toucharcade they are the best for ios gaming.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Real racing for me is OK - I was expecting GT5 quality (if you can call it quality) but it's still OK...but being a hard core GT5 and Forza player, I can tell you it's not even close.

For racing stuff, I like riptide (it's also on android but better, has all the graphics bells and whistles (water splash, effects) - it's only now available on the iphone 5 (the effects that are present on the android tegra 3 devices).

There's sling shot racing, there is the other vector unit racers as well. Most of the racing stuff is average stuff - but shooters there are so many!

I can't even begin to list the great ones but you should visit toucharcade they are the best for ios gaming.

I actually tried Sling Shot racing today at an Apple store as it was already loaded on one of the display modes. I liked it, it's different but I can see myself getting tired of it quickly.

I have riptide on andriod, I'll stick with that.

Thanks for the tip on toucharcade. I bookmarked it and will dive into it shortly.

I wouldn't want to hold a larger device in my hand when I connect HDMI to my HDTV. This size and weight of the Mini is great.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I read on the Touch Arcade forum that GTA works pretty well with the Mini. Any experiences here with that game?

I thought there would be more posts on this thread. Gaming is something I thought lots of folks would be interested in. And now with the size and weight of the Mini, .....

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have never had an issue gaming on the iPad 4. The retina display makes it great. Need for speed looks awesome and is a lot of fun...really easy though. GTA looks like same as it does on ps3....granted it's an older version of the game. I mostly use the mini for checking email and very light browsing. Gaming is still better for me on the whopping 1.5 pound ipad 4

maddux2005

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
I have an iPad mini
iPad 4
iPhone 5

Without question the iPad mini is the best iOS gaming device on the market. It's the perfect size. Not too small. Not too big. Fits perfectly in the hands.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I find it is, it has a large enough screen, it's light and easy to hold in two hands or one, the unit itself is more comfortable in your hands.

If the A6X had been in here it would have been phenomenal!

Thats the only reason why I would expect the 4 to be better for gaming.

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
I have Fifa 13 and infinity blade 2 and they're incredible on the mini. What racing game should I invest in? Asphalt, nfs:mw, or real racing 2 hd? Any other great games?

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
I was playing real racing 2 HD last night, it works well and much easier to steer, though once I stopped accelerating as my right thumb was too close to the edge and I think the iPad decided it was just my thumb resting there.

I will say it wasn't the smoothest I've seen the game though, I could see it stuttering a bit in race but YMMV.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I have Fifa 13 and infinity blade 2 and they're incredible on the mini. What racing game should I invest in? Asphalt, nfs:mw, or real racing 2 hd? Any other great games?

Tower Madness
Zombie Highway
Zombie Gunship
Dead Trigger (more zombies!)
Tiny Troopers
Kingdom Rush
Shadowgun
Dungeon Hunter (1 or 2)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Now we are getting somewhere with game recommendation.

Why does every thread on this forum start to compare different iPads? I own the Mini and I'm new to apple ecosystem so that is my focus, recommendations and not comparing different iPads.

----------

I was playing real racing 2 HD last night, it works well and much easier to steer, though once I stopped accelerating as my right thumb was too close to the edge and I think the iPad decided it was just my thumb resting there.

I will say it wasn't the smoothest I've seen the game though, I could see it stuttering a bit in race but YMMV.

Thanks awhile to get use to. I palm the Mini with my left hand and my thumb is completely under the device. Any touch I make with my right hand slows down the car.

I only had this game as a demo on android. I'm not sorry I purchased it on IOS. It rocks IMHO on the Mini.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Gaming is the main reason I have wanted the iPad mini for a long time. These are some of the games I am playing on the mini and highly recommend.

Bastion
Rayman Run
Arc Squadron

I am hoping to find a good RPG (story and gameplay) for my next game to play over the holidays.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
What kind of battery life do you get when gaming? My ipad 3 would last about 11 hours web browsing only or 6 if gaming. Is the mini the same?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.