Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Just wondering if anyone has run an iTunes library from within a Virtual Machine??

I have Win7 running in parallels and in an effort to have a separate library for my teenage daughters with 'only their' stuff on it, I built a library that accessed the files from the existing storage location for my main library.

It shared fine in that I could see it from the ATV, but could not load it. I'm guessing something to do with firewalls?

Any ideas appreciated.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Just wondering if anyone has run an iTunes library from within a Virtual Machine??

I have Win7 running in parallels and in an effort to have a separate library for my teenage daughters with 'only their' stuff on it, I built a library that accessed the files from the existing storage location for my main library.

It shared fine in that I could see it from the ATV, but could not load it. I'm guessing something to do with firewalls?

Any ideas appreciated.

Yep, I run my iTunes server via a windows 2008 vm. Just make sure that networking is set to bridged and that, like you said.. Turn off firewalls

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
According to your signature, you dont have enough Apple TVs. You need more.

Also, you shouldn't have to set the network to bridged, but firewall is definitely a possibility. Apple TV's go through iTunes Home Sharing based upon network ID's of iTunes, not the IP address of the machine. Bridged would only help if you needed a separate IP.

Just make sure your iTunes library for your daughters has a different name.

The other option is to set up a separate account as well for the machine rather than go through parallels, but either way will work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.