Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
From Sky News:

iPad Mini Heist: JFK Airport Worker Held

Last Updated 00:47 18/11/2012
A cargo worker has been arrested after the theft of thousands of iPad minis worth £1.2m ($1.9m) from New York's JFK airport.

Renel Rene Richardson was held by agents who are investigating the possibility that the crime was an inside job.

Thieves driving forklift trucks got away with about 3,600 of the sought-after gadgets - bound for China - on November 12.

In Pics: The iPad Mini Launch
Richardson allegedly had two helpers in the heist at the Cargo Air Services building, where he also worked, according to a criminal complaint filed in Brooklyn federal court and cited by the New York Post.

Detectives believe Richardson acted as a lookout while the two unidentified individuals loaded pallets of iPad minis onto a truck.

Those responsible for the theft are believed to have arrived at building 261 at around 11pm, in a white tractor trailer marked with the name Ceva on the side.

They are reported to have pulled up to a side of the airport building which faces onto a street and has less security than the other side.

It is not known if the iPads have been recovered.

The thieves could have got away with more iPads, but were reportedly foiled by three other workers returning from a dinner break.

The cargo site where the theft took place is the same building where £3.1m ($5m) went missing in 1978, in a heist later made famous in the Goodfellas film.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
What gets me about crime of this nature is that Apple have the serial numbers and ID's of these devices and can render them useless...Who is going to buy a stolen newly packaged Idevice? I know that JB'rs etc. can probably get them working after a fashion, but it just seems a rather pointless crime.

Original poster
Aug 5, 2012
But now Apple has another 1.9million of insurance money coming their way!

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
What gets me about crime of this nature is that Apple have the serial numbers and ID's of these devices and can render them useless...Who is going to buy a stolen newly packaged Idevice? I know that JB'rs etc. can probably get them working after a fashion, but it just seems a rather pointless crime.

parts alone would be a pretty hefty amount of money to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.