Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
It seems as though Apple has pulled the specialized 10.8.2 update for the 2012 mini from the App Store. I did a fresh install on the mini and now I am stuck at 10.8.1. I wonder if they did this because 10.8.3 is imminent. I can't even install iPhoto because it requires 10.8.2 for installation.

Dax71

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
ya, noticed that to and now i cant install Garageband etc thx to that needs .2

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
I don't think 10.8.3 is that imminent as I haven't yet got the pre-release beta-test seed of the project. I'm not Apple so it could of course come out tomorrow! The removal of 10.8.2 is annoying but it's better than losing data... maybe '.8.2 is proving to be a flakey OS when dealing with the new Minis or the 13" retina. When I tested pre-release seed project 10.8.2 I didn't have the mini to play with...

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
You're telling me that the standard or combo 10.8.2 update does not install on late 2012 Minis? Has anyone tried it?

They certainly haven't pulled 10.8.2 anywhere else, so it seems the problem could be related to the so-called machine specific fixes making things worse, not that there is anything wrong with the core 10.8.2 software.

The late 2012 Minis are having all sorts of reported problems that are partly related to the Intel HD4000 integrated graphics, so that may be the reason it was pulled. Maybe they'll re-release it so that the blackouts are fixed.

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
You're telling me that the standard or combo 10.8.2 update does not install on late 2012 Minis? Has anyone tried it?

They certainly haven't pulled 10.8.2 anywhere else, so it seems the problem could be related to the so-called machine specific fixes making things worse, not that there is anything wrong with the core 10.8.2 software.

The late 2012 Minis are having all sorts of reported problems that are partly related to the Intel HD4000 integrated graphics, so that may be the reason it was pulled. Maybe they'll re-release it so that the blackouts are fixed.

I have tried the 10.8.2 combo update and IT DOES NOT WORK. You get a message that it can't install

You also can't get 10.8.2 through auto update either, and as others have noted, the update specifically for the mini has been pulled

Eric Heyworth

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
Update pulled - official response

Hi everybody. Bought a new Mac Mini on Friday, and tried to update to 10.8.2 so I could update iPhoto. No joy. Manual downloaded and would allow me to install, so phoned Apple Care guys. After about 30 mins of trying all kinds of weird stuff they got a senior tech involved and he confirmed the update has been pulled. Apparently on certain machines it was causing "keychain issues", so it was pulled from the servers late Friday/early Saturday morning. They said they are working on a fix now, and should issue a new update "in a few days". Really annoying because I can't turn on iCloud mail, or update iPhoto. Especially frustrating as already installed on my MBA! Hope that helps. Eric

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Hi everybody. Bought a new Mac Mini on Friday, and tried to update to 10.8.2 so I could update iPhoto. No joy. Manual downloaded and would allow me to install, so phoned Apple Care guys. After about 30 mins of trying all kinds of weird stuff they got a senior tech involved and he confirmed the update has been pulled. Apparently on certain machines it was causing "keychain issues", so it was pulled from the servers late Friday/early Saturday morning. They said they are working on a fix now, and should issue a new update "in a few days". Really annoying because I can't turn on iCloud mail, or update iPhoto. Especially frustrating as already installed on my MBA! Hope that helps. Eric

Thanks for the info.

RiderX

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012

This is interesting, as the new Mini I bought almost 2 weeks ago came with 10.8.2 preinstalled.

Carl Spackler

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Outer Space

Very interesting. I have my 2012 Mac Mini sitting right next to me, ready to return after two unresolved calls to Apple's support line. The first issue, being that the RAW Compatibility Update does not install on the these new Minis, and the second is the snow/HMDI sync issues.

For the fist issue, I was told it was a software issue, with no fix in sight (though I'm sure we'll see it eventually, they said).

I wonder if the "downgrade" won't fix things.

MacXperte

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
Vienna, Austria
For the impatient and the desperate

Now that OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Supplemental Update 2.0 is released that supposedly fixes at least some of the issues with the pulled 10.8.2 special Update, some of us may wish they had it installed while it was there.

Actually it is still available from Apple's direct download link. However, some words of advice:

Pro
  1. If you immediately afterwards install the two supplemental Updates, you are in the same boat with those who installed 10.8.2 before it was pulled - no better, but also no worse.
  2. You can install iPhoto 9.4.2, Aperture 3.4.2 and RAW 4.01 right now.
Con
  1. This is unsupported! Apple must have had good reasons to pull that Update.
  2. Although there is a fix for the keychain issue, you cannot be certain that there aren't any other unfixed problems with this 10.8.2 build.
  3. It might only be due to Thanksgiving that the re-release of this update lags behind, who knows. But the Supplemental Update 2.0 might also be a quick and dirty patch as an emergency measure for those who already installed the pulled Update, with a more solid solution to follow later.

So, if you are desperate and/or impatient enough, you know the risk involved and are willing to take it, here is the direct Link to the infamous OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Update for 13"Macbook Pro with Retina Display, 21.5" iMac (Late 2012)Mac mini (Late 2012) (aka http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1603):
http://supportdownload.apple.com/download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/Mac_OS_X/downloads/041-7343.20121023.Zzw23/OSXUpd10.8.2.dmg

Needless to say, I don't take any liabilities whatsoever …

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Now that OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Supplemental Update 2.0 is released that supposedly fixes at least some of the issues with the pulled 10.8.2 special Update, some of us may wish they had it installed while it was there.

Actually it is still available from Apple's direct download link. However, some words of advice:

Pro
  1. If you immediately afterwards install the two supplemental Updates, you are in the same boat with those who installed 10.8.2 before it was pulled - no better, but also no worse.
Con
  2. Although there is a fix for the keychain issue, you cannot be certain that there aren't any other unfixed problems with this 10.8.2 build.
  3. It might only be due to Thanksgiving that the re-release of this update lags behind, who knows. But the Supplemental Update 2.0 might also be a quick and dirty patch as an emergency measure for those who already installed the pulled Update, with a more solid solution to follow later.

So, if you are desperate and/or impatient enough, you know the risk involved and are willing to take it, here is the direct Link to the infamous OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Update for 13"Macbook Pro with Retina Display, 21.5" iMac (Late 2012)Mac mini (Late 2012) (aka http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1603):
http://supportdownload.apple.com/download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/Mac_OS_X/downloads/041-7343.20121023.Zzw23/OSXUpd10.8.2.dmg

thanks to you I now have a choice.

so I use the missing 10.8.2 or the 10.8.1 best of both worlds!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-25 at 9.29.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-25 at 9.29.47 AM.png
    932.6 KB · Views: 271

eizen

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012

Pro
Con

Sweet! Thanks for the download links.

TedRysz3

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Syracuse, NY
It seems as though Apple has pulled the specialized 10.8.2 update for the 2012 mini from the App Store. I did a fresh install on the mini and now I am stuck at 10.8.1. I wonder if they did this because 10.8.3 is imminent. I can't even install iPhoto because it requires 10.8.2 for installation.

So does anyone have any clue as to when the 10.8.2 update will be released? I just bought a new Mac Mini for video editing and photo editing/management and I cannot use Aperture without 10.8.2.

Edde1

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
Hello. How can i update my 2 days old mini i 7 from 10.8.1. Cant update an app because that? Whats the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.