Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
But what makes it better than iPad? Cheap price? Yes but there are trade offs. Maybe it doesn't matter to you but it's worth noting.
I agree, and it's not that I don't like the Mini, and for all I know, I'll end up with one as well, although I've really come to like the plastic-backed tablets due to their better innate comfort.

But the fact that it is cheaper - I mean, look, a 32GB cellular model is still $30 less than the 16GB WiFi iPad Mini - is a huge deal (provided it does what you want, granted).

If I needed yet another iOS device, or if I had no such devices, the iPad Mini would be worth the price to me. With all my various devices, I don't need another one from Apple right now, so the facts the N7 does all I want, costs less, and does things I can't do in iOS make it compelling to me.

But yes, there are equally good reasons to get the Mini. The only important thing is that people be happy with the device(s) they choose, and, lucky for use, there's a metric crapload of relatively cheap devices that are all pretty damned amazing given where things were even a few years ago.

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
It makes sense for Apple to call for more, because they actually want to profit off the hardware, although, I do think starting it at $299 instead of $329 would've been wise because it breaks into that sub-$300 category and makes the gap look a lot smaller in the customer's mind. However, this would've cut into Apple's profit margin that is already smaller than normal with the mini. I wonder if they'll manage it in a generation or two...

pizz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
So ended up getting a nexus 7 and I like it. Well built, fast, jellybean is slick, display is right up with retina. Does everything I would use a mini tablet for. Really u cant go wrong for $199! One gripe i have is no rear camera but there are workarounds, u can use front camera for quick videos and pics if u need. Only thing iPad mini has over it right now is the app selection and screen size.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The Nexus 7 performs quite poorly compared to iPad mini. It's got no camera on the back, the front one is low resolution. It's made of plastic and build quality is craptastic. The main drawback is no video out of any kind. I'd have to reply on Google's wireless features which are poor at best at the moment. Let's not forget that basically every single "tablet" app on Google's ecosystem is basically a blown up smartphone app. It's a poor use of what is already a pretty poor bit of screen real estate. But hey, you get what you pay for. If you buy an Android device, it's obviously inferior to an Apple device. Whatever floats your boat, go for it. The rest of us don't care.

The cameras are similar and the N7 can be unlocked for 720p recording. 4.2 introduced miracast mirroring which is an HDMI cable minus the cable. Soon we will be plugging appletv into miracast enabled HDTV's since its now an industry standard. Apple convinces everyone they need an app for every web page, guess what? Apps are designed to condense a web page to a mobile phone size screen, use the non watered down web page instead of a web based app. That alone will cure 90% of your "tablet app issue"...

Btw 50% of Apple products cost is profit margin. I do sales, if I got 50% profit then I just ripped someone off...literally. That's something a shady salesman would do to a little old lady. Just because it cost more doesn't mean its better....Look at the crappy screen! My Xoom has a screen like that! Lol

I only buy subsidized iPhones so the carrier eats the cost and the mini seems something they through together as an answer to the Nexus 7. I'll be more curious about the iPad mini 2, maybe it will have the current technology if it has a premium price tag.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Lol the rear camera on an iPad is useless. I took maybe two pictures with my iPad 2 and 0 with my 3. I MIGHT use it more if it had a FLASH, seriously what is up with that. I don't think you'll ever see an android tablet with a rear camera and no flash with it. Its such a dumb pro for an iPad it shouldn't even be mentioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.