Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogboy3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
I'm on Verizon grandfather unlimited data plan with personal hotspot. I am using heavy data, about less than 5 hours of video chat per month. I am not using streaming very often. I have Macbook Pro, PC desktop, Wii, and Wifi iPad 2. All of them are sharing to my iPhone 5 as personal hotspot. My Wii cannot get connect it and I don't know why. I'm thinking about to ditch my home internet service to save money. The speed average is 3Mbp down and up on LTE. I'm only person to use personal hotspot. Con is that if I lost/stolen my iPhone 5 and I won't have internet. Any advice should I keep my home internet?

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
If the only con is the lose of Internet when losing the phone then why not ditch it.

Dreamer216

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012
NYC
What if you lose the phone, or its damaged?

I would just keep my home internet. And just use hotspot when travelling.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Give it a try for a few months. If you are happy with it, then you win. If not, the cable provider will gladly take your money again. It doesnt hurt to try.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
You're not helping those of us who are still on the grandfathered plans. Until internet landlines become obsolete like phone landlines, carriers are moving quickly to hasten the demise of unlimited data plans.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
You're not helping those of us who are still on the grandfathered plans. Until internet landlines become obsolete like phone landlines, carriers are moving quickly to hasten the demise of unlimited data plans.

Not really. He has to pay an extra $30 a month to tether with his unlimited plan. Verizon wouldnt offer the unlimited tether for that price, if it was a problem. They would just not offer it, or jack up the price even more.

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011

Full of it. You're either using or would use just as much as Op, or don't use enough to even justify its worth to you.

I say go for it and save the money.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Not really. He has to pay an extra $30 a month to tether with his unlimited plan. Verizon wouldnt offer the unlimited tether for that price, if it was a problem. They would just not offer it, or jack up the price even more.

Full of it. You're either using or would use just as much as Op, or don't use enough to even justify its worth to you.

I say go for it and save the money.

They will most certainly find a way to make up for lost revenue once more people do what the OP is considering, including eliminating the grandfathered plans entirely when you upgrade to the next generation iPhone.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
I'm on Verizon grandfather unlimited data plan with personal hotspot. I am using heavy data, about less than 5 hours of video chat per month. I am not using streaming very often. I have Macbook Pro, PC desktop, Wii, and Wifi iPad 2. All of them are sharing to my iPhone 5 as personal hotspot. My Wii cannot get connect it and I don't know why. I'm thinking about to ditch my home internet service to save money. The speed average is 3Mbp down and up on LTE. I'm only person to use personal hotspot. Con is that if I lost/stolen my iPhone 5 and I won't have internet. Any advice should I keep my home internet?

That's easy. Of course you should keep your home internet. Who wants to rely on just a phone for their online needs? Especially if it's an anemic 3 Mb/s. If you want to save money get a wireless router and get rid of the tethering plan. And get rid of the unlimited data as well if you can get something that's closer to what you actually use a month.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Can't exactly have a real network without home internet either, no sharing printers or files or anything if the computers are all operating independently. as you need that home Wi-Fi network. Any other devices you need to worry about like internet connected TVs etc?

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
I say dump it. Make Verizon give you as much data for free as you can for the rest of us that lost unlimited data.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010

Seems like its worth the risk. You can always get home Internet back.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I did that once. I even dumped cable TV and used Netflix. It was OK, saved quite a bit of money...Now I have Fios.....

Applefan17

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2012
I'd say you would be fine without it but like people said before, there won't be any sort of unification such as the ability to print over wi-fi or the ability to sync your things over wi-fi either.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
If you are in the top 5% and use like over 5gb I heard they do. http://rootzwiki.com/topic/14945-yes-verizon-does-throttle-4g/
It's supposed to be rare though and only on congested towers, so if the tower is congested and you use a lot of data they will slow down your speed until it isn't congested anymore

I'm well in the top 5% over 10GB a month and no throttling.

From verizon. You will only be throttled if you meet ALL of the following

A data customer on an unlimited data plan;
Have a 3G Verizon Wireless device (if you have a 4G LTE device you will not be impacted); and
Among the top 5% of data users in a given month.

Last edited:

phil1995

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008

I am on the unlimited plan and I recently inquired about the usage of the hotspot feature. I was told, that the hotspot was not unlimited, and was subject to a 1 GB limit for the $30 charge. Where are people getting that the hotspot is unlimited along with the phone usage. Not what I was told from Verizon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.