Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Brothers iPhone 5 went for a swim. Instantly retrieved it apparently, and the LSI didn't get triggered. Nevertheless, it's sitting in a bag of rice to play it safe.

Now the important part: Since there is no hard proof that it ever came into contact with water, do geniuses open the phone up to examine it before replacing it? Because it had WiFi and sync issues since he purchased it recently, and was going to get it replaced anyways. However, I'm guessing if the phone is opened up then there's bound to be some visual damage or maybe liquid still there.

Can any geniuses or owners speak from first hand experience in regards to this situation? Will they in fact open and thoroughly examine it, or just see that the LSI was not triggered and replace it on the spot?

Thanks!

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Brothers iPhone 5 went for a swim. Instantly retrieved it apparently, and the LSI didn't get triggered. Nevertheless, it's sitting in a bag of rice to play it safe.

Now the important part: Since there is no hard proof that it ever came into contact with water, do geniuses open the phone up to examine it before replacing it? Because it had WiFi and sync issues since he purchased it recently, and was going to get it replaced anyways. However, I'm guessing if the phone is opened up then there's bound to be some visual damage or maybe liquid still there.

Can any geniuses or owners speak from first hand experience in regards to this situation? Will they in fact open and thoroughly examine it, or just see that the LSI was not triggered and replace it on the spot?

Thanks!

LSI means liquid submersion indicator guys just clearing that up. And if there is visual damage they will not accept it back and render it user damage. There's no harm in trying but I'm sure they won't open it up, they'll restore your phone and see if that fixes the problem and if it isn't then they'll just replace it.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
LSI means liquid submersion indicator guys just clearing that up. And if there is visual damage they will not accept it back and render it user damage. There's no harm in trying but I'm sure they won't open it up, they'll restore your phone and see if that fixes the problem and if it isn't then they'll just replace it.

There is no visual damage, so the only possible way they would suspect anything would be if they open it up.

It charges but iTunes won't recognize it though.

I guess I'm just trying to determine to what extent they will waste time trying to investigate, versus seeing that it has problems but the LSI isn't triggered and just replacing it to keep the genius bar line going? Because many of the issues were pre-existing conditions ...

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
There is no visual damage, so the only possible way they would suspect anything would be if they open it up.

It charges but iTunes won't recognize it though.

I guess I'm just trying to determine to what extent they will waste time trying to investigate, versus seeing that it has problems but the LSI isn't triggered and just replacing it to keep the genius bar line going? Because many of the issues were pre-existing conditions ...

Well then you're screwed if iTunes won't recognize it, theyll try to run a test and the diagnostic thing won't recognize the phone.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
There is a third option... you could say it had scratches from when you got it. Happened to mine, they replaced it instantly without looking any further (granted, mine turned on).

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
How about next time buy the AppleCare+ and when the device swims, pony up the $49 or whatever it is and be happy you had the care policy. Grow up!

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Well then you're screwed if iTunes won't recognize it, theyll try to run a test and the diagnostic thing won't recognize the phone.

Actually, I fail to see why this is an issue.

The phone is new for one. Two, iPhones don't NEED iTunes as of iOS 5, so it's plausible it was never connected to iTunes

There is a third option... you could say it had scratches from when you got it. Happened to mine, they replaced it instantly without looking any further (granted, mine turned on).

That's true. It actually has two scuffs on the bands that are not from wear and tear.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Actually, I fail to see why this is an issue.

The phone is new for one. Two, iPhones don't NEED iTunes as of iOS 5, so it's plausible it was never connected to iTunes

That's true. It actually has two scuffs on the bands that are not from wear and tear.

If you got the phone more than a few days ago you will have a hard time saying that there were already scuffs. And since you're having syncing issues they will try to test that, which will be done by connecting it to their diagnostic machine and since it won't recognize it they will check the phone for water damage.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
If you got the phone more than a few days ago you will have a hard time saying that there were already scuffs. And since you're having syncing issues they will try to test that, which will be done by connecting it to their diagnostic machine and since it won't recognize it they will check the phone for water damage.

Okay thanks for the input. He'll have to suck it up and buy apple care + in advance or the replacement cost.

And I think a few days is acceptable to complain about scuffing. Since he didn't buy it instore and not very one has time to rush to apple right away.

Still, not sure how they could analyze water damage if the moisture is absorbed by the rice and the LSI isn't triggered, with the phone still working. Seems like a tough consumer argument to win without any concrete proof.

----------

How about next time buy the AppleCare+ and when the device swims, pony up the $49 or whatever it is and be happy you had the care policy. Grow up!

Actually the phones fine, it's the preexisting problems that are not, and I don't want him to get screwed because the water damage did nothing.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Okay thanks for the input. He'll have to suck it up and buy apple care + in advance or the replacement cost.

And I think a few days is acceptable to complain about scuffing. Since he didn't buy it instore and not very one has time to rush to apple right away.

Still, not sure how they could analyze water damage if the moisture is absorbed by the rice and the LSI isn't triggered, with the phone still working. Seems like a tough consumer argument to win without any concrete proof.

Anybody can accidentally scuff their phone and say it was already scuffed. I don't know how he will prove it and I'm guessing they will know somehow when the phone randomly stops connecting.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
~snip~ Actually the phones fine, it's the preexisting problems that are not, and I don't want him to get screwed because the water damage did nothing.

The water damage is why you started this thread. If the phone worked you could be complaining about scuffs in some other thread instead of being happy that it worked after going for a swim. It doesn't work after the swim. So you made a thread about the swim. ?!

The takeaway lesson is AppleCare+ is worth considering since it massively reduces your cost (and hassle) for replacements when accidental damage occurs.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
They won't open it up but they'll have to connect it to iTunes to see what his syncing issues are.

Doesn't seem like iTunes will recognize it. But as I said above, I'm not sure if it even did before as the phone is new. My brother, like most people I know, rarely if ever connect it to a computer. Especially since the cord was cut with iOS 5, it's very easy to never connect it to your computer.

The water damage is why you started this thread. If the phone worked you could be complaining about scuffs in some other thread instead of being happy that it worked after going for a swim. It doesn't work after the swim. So you made a thread about the swim. ?!

The takeaway lesson is AppleCare+ is worth considering since it massively reduces your cost (and hassle) for replacements when accidental damage occurs.

If you read the thread, you would realize there were issues beyond the scuffing. Someone else brought that aspect into play. But thanks anyways.

Did you actually check the LSI? It's in a different place on the iPhone 5 (sim card tray area).

I'm well aware. Unlike the 4S and lower, there is only one, in the tray, which I checked. It's white as ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.