Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ITGuy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
Ah well, just searched for Cairns on an iPhone 5, iPad 3, iPhone 4S, and iPad mini - all show the town to be in the right location. Indeed, great job Apple ;)

It seems that it if your iOS device has cached map data, it can/will ignore the new live corrected map data for up to seven days. Folks in another thread figured out Apple Maps has caching issues. In order for my iPad to see Cairns in the correct location, I had to go to iOS General Settings and Reset All Settings. Pathetic.

So, no it's not a good job by Apple. If Apple makes a badly needed correction affecting your neck of the woods, you may not see it for a week. Hopefully this BS is fixed in iOS 6.1, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it's eventually fixed in iOS 7.0. The programmers have to figure out how to tell if the cached data is stale and to use the live data instead.

-ITG

Last edited:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Yes... They do...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19536269

I believe sometime in 2010 Google dumped third party data in a majority of countries. This was the main reason behind Street View. Not only does street view provide pictures of the area providing a "virtual tour", but Google's software also analyses the pictures captured through their Street View project to find road signs and other pertinent information. See below picture for more information on the matter.

----------

Not 100% world-wide, but in a majority of the countries. See the picture below for more information:

You do know your own picture proves Google does not own all the data. It is also safe to say they buy a lot mapping data from other 3rd parties to check their data against.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
"Air Field" in Dublin Ireland. It's a cafe and farm (everyone with kids in Dublin knows it). Apple maps has it down as Dublin's second airport!

Yeah, but I was asking for specific locations where the map data is bad or the pictures bad. Everywhere I've looked at has been basically the same as Google Maps except for Faroe Islands, which they fixed a while ago.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
It seems that it if your iOS device has cached map data, it can/will ignore the new live corrected map data for up to seven days. Folks in another thread figured out Apple Maps has caching issues. In order for my iPad to see Cairns in the correct location, I had to go to iOS General Settings and Reset All Settings. Pathetic.

So, no it's not a good job by Apple. If Apple makes a badly needed correction affecting your neck of the woods, you may not see it for a week. Hopefully this BS is fixed in iOS 6.1, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit if it's eventually fixed in iOS 7.0. The programmers have to figure out how to tell if the cached data is stale and to use the live data instead.

-ITG

Oh no, not up to seven days! However will we cope :eek:

ITGuy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
Oh no, not up to seven days! However will we cope :eek:

LOL, like clockwork, I knew an apologist would chime in. A map is useless if it sends you in the wrong direction, especially in a tourist region that you're visiting.

My vacation will be over in less than seven days, before the iOS device would have flushed the cache of bad map data. Having to reset your iOS device to delete the maps cache before performing a search is a feature, right?? Cuz that's the point of a cache - to serve up bad data even if the live data is correct?? That's inventive, revolutionary, and magical. They should call it the iCache. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: LOL!

It's amateur hour for Apple when it comes to maps.

-ITG

Last edited:

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
LOL, like clockwork, I knew an apologist would chime in. A map is useless if it sends you in the wrong direction, especially in a tourist region that you're visiting.

My vacation will be over in less than seven days, before the iOS device would have flushed the cache of bad map data. Having to reset your iOS device to delete the maps cache before performing a search is a feature, right?? Cuz that's the point of a cache - to serve up bad data even if the live data is correct?? That's inventive, revolutionary, and magical. They should call it the iCache. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: LOL!

-ITG

Do you actually have any idea how quickly rival services respond to such changes, or are you happy to just make demands?

Expecting Apple to respond to the dates of your vacation is beyond ridiculous.

ITGuy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
Do you actually have any idea how quickly rival services respond to such changes, or are you happy to just make demands?

Expecting Apple to respond to the dates of your vacation is beyond ridiculous.

Not to bring up the G word, but Google Map corrections sometimes go live in hours when reported.

I was providing a reply with but one example of why seven days may not work for ANY PERSON on vacation in an unfamiliar area, not limited to myself. The live map data on Apple's servers is correct in my case. There's nothing wrong with expecting the live correct data to be provided when performing a search, which it wasn't.

-ITG

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I believe most people who do not have problems with apple maps are living in developed or so called 1st world countries. But for people like me who live in country like India, apple maps is a total waste and we have very detailed google maps and even turn by turn navigation.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I read this story and all I can think of is "Great on both fronts"

If a Google Map app is submitted and approved - it's a win for those that want to use google maps (unfortunately it won't be integrated). And those that don't want google maps don't have to use them

And if Eddie is hard at work on Apple Maps - then they should improve which is a win for those that want to use Apple maps (and currently have issues with other apps that use them).

The arguing back and forth is silly.

ITGuy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
You mean the Airfield Park that was corrected months ago?

People are discovering that Apple Maps has caching issues where it will still display stale cached map data even if Apple has corrected the data on their servers. Users have to reset their iOS device in the General Settings if they want to see the correct live info. Apple will probably describe a fix as one of the 200+ features of iOS 7.

Apple brought a paper cutout of a knife to a gunfight and have been royally embarrassed as a result.

-ITG

lucasgladding

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario

-ITG

Ignoring the attitude that accompanies the post, how much do you know about how Maps caching works? Have you looked at different strategies, and how they might impact server load and performance? I'm not saying the cache couldn't be more intelligent, but your blanket suggestion that the server should just know when to ignore the cache is short-sighted.

You wrote a post that invited a sarcastic response, and someone responded with sarcasm. I think that has more to do with your post than whether someone can be objective about Apple.

----------

People are discovering that Apple Maps has caching issues where it will still display stale cached map data even if Apple has corrected the data on their servers. Users have to reset their iOS device in the General Settings if they want to see the correct live info. Apple will probably describe a fix as one of the 200+ features of iOS 7.

Apple brought a paper cutout of a knife to a gunfight and have been royally embarrassed as a result.

-ITG

Stale data from months ago? It's more likely that they recalled a story they read.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I believe most people who do not have problems with apple maps are living in developed or so called 1st world countries. But for people like me who live in country like India, apple maps is a total waste and we have very detailed google maps and even turn by turn navigation.

Indeed. Where I live, Apple Maps has practically no data, nearly all streets are blank with the exception of a couple of the main avenues. Even Nokia's "Here" maps has far more complete data than Apple Maps in my country.

ITGuy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
Ignoring the attitude that accompanies the post, how much do you know about how Maps caching works? Have you looked at different strategies, and how they might impact server load and performance? I'm not saying the cache couldn't be more intelligent, but your blanket suggestion that the server should just know when to ignore the cache is short-sighted.

You wrote a post that invited a sarcastic response, and someone responded with sarcasm. I think that has more to do with your post than whether someone can be objective about Apple.

----------

Stale data from months ago? It's more likely that they recalled a story they read.

Hysterical, in true fashion. I resolved my issue based upon the valid information others have generously provided on Macrumors. But go ahead and dismiss it, LOL!

I hope it's a bug, but if it's Apple's Maps caching strategy then I'd have to think about using a different maps app, such as Google's. I'd rather have the most up to date information when I do a search, especially since that's the point of me needing to use the map in an unfamiliar area.

Apple can well afford to provide the appropriate server infrastructure to provide customers with the best mapping experience. They don't get a pass on that one.

-ITG

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Indeed. Where I live, Apple Maps has practically no data, nearly all streets are blank with the exception of a couple of the main avenues. Even Nokia's "Here" maps has far more complete data than Apple Maps in my country.

I live in a heavily populated major metropolitan city, and still Apple's maps are dreadfully blank in so many areas. In others they suggest the wrong off ramp, or some other errant move, it's so bad it's laughable.

Dumping Google, seems to be an ego driven move on Apple's part.

Long the company that's always thought of themselves as far superior to the rest, this time they've really blown it.

The whole world uses Google maps.

Why Apple actually is crazy enough to believe they need to reinvent the wheel is pure lunacy. This move has really bit them in the ass, and left mud on their face.

lucasgladding

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
Waterloo, Ontario
Hysterical, in true fashion. I resolved my issue based upon the valid information others have generously provided on Macrumors. But go ahead and dismiss it, LOL!

I hope it's a bug, but if it's Apple's Maps caching strategy then I'd have to think about using a different maps app, such as Google's. I'd rather have the most up to date information when I do a search, especially since that's the point of me needing to use the map in an unfamiliar area.

Apple can well afford to provide the appropriate server infrastructure to provide customers with the best mapping experience. They don't get a pass on that one.

-ITG

What are you talking about? What did I dismiss? Everyone understands that emptying your cache provides the latest data. How is this different than flushing the cache on your web browser? Should I complain that Firefox doesn't know that a cached javascript file is outdated? The server would need to be polled to determine whether the file is stale. I'm more than happy to empty my cache when I know the data is out-of-date.

Agreed, they don't get a pass on it. I didn't suggest that they should. They can change how they evaluate cached data with a software update, and they might. That said, they might not need to once the data has improved to a point where week-old data doesn't make a difference.

ITGuy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
What are you talking about? What did I dismiss? Everyone understands that emptying your cache provides the latest data. How is this different than flushing the cache on your web browser? Should I complain that Firefox doesn't know that a cached javascript file is outdated? The server would need to be polled to determine whether the file is stale. I'm more than happy to empty my cache when I know the data is out-of-date.

Agreed, they don't get a pass on it. I didn't suggest that they should. They can change how they evaluate cached data with a software update, and they might. That said, they might not need to once the data has improved to a point where week-old data doesn't make a difference.

That's basically my point, that a person may not know the cache is out of date until they get to the wrong location. Not very helpful when you're on vacation, but it can be more disastrous if you're headed to a business meeting and end up being late as a result.

Yeah, eventually it will work itself out, but this may be something I might consider as a competitive issue in deciding on a Maps app. If a competing Maps app such as Google Maps can serve up revised map data in hours instead of days, then Apple Maps may not meet my requirements.

Cheers.

-ITG

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Maps is still an embarrassing disaster.

A disaster is right!

Yet despite the apology, Apple lacks the conscious to be embarrassed. Steeped in unlimited arrogance they will continue to waste valuable time creating an app no one needs.

What an incredible waste of resources. It just bothers the crap outta Apple to think there's a possibility that the world does not revolve around them.

But the good news is, once maps is finished, and Apple's run out of companies to sue, they can get back to doing what they do best.

That is, if they haven't forgot what their strengths are ha..ha..ha.. :D

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
You would want to approve it apple, my ipad mini vs nexus 7 decision is dependant on it.

In that case I would say go with the Nexus 7 as Google Maps is far better integrated with everything else in Android than the Google Maps app in iOS will be, with Apple not allowing you to choose default apps for anything and all.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
In that case I would say go with the Nexus 7 as Google Maps is far better integrated with everything else in Android than the Google Maps app in iOS will be, with Apple not allowing you to choose default apps for anything and all.

I didn't know the nexus 7 allowed users to change its default maps app from Google?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.