Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
This morning, this message popped up on my phone, with a big "OK" button to press at the bottom of it.

"Email Address Added to 'MacPro'

'MacPro' is now using '*my email*' for FaceTime."

Who is MacPro? And what does this mean?

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
This morning, this message popped up on my phone, with a big "OK" button to press at the bottom of it.

I would guess macpro is the name of your computer? Or someone elses. I would guess that you've used FaceTime on your phone, and then opened it on your computer and it let you know that your computer is now using facetime too. And is using your appleID as its address.

That's usually when you see that message: the first time you logon to facetime from a new location.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon

macbook pro? and I'm guessing someone registered your email to their macbook and got the password right for facetime

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Do you have a tower-style computer somewhere in your household that goes by the name of Mac Pro?

My desktop machine is a Mac Pro.. but I've never seen it referenced anywhere as "MacPro" on my iPhone or on the desktop.

Should I change my email password?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
My desktop machine is a Mac Pro.. but I've never seen it referenced anywhere as "MacPro" on my iPhone or on the desktop.

Your desktop is probably "MacPro"
Did you recently try to activate facetime on your desktop?

If so thats why

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Nothing to worry then. You're using the same Apple ID on your desktop and iPhone so they're sharing the contact you can be reached for FaceTime (namely your email).

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
I didn't do anything different than what I've done the last several months. I don't use FaceTime anywhere.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
I didn't do anything different than what I've done the last several months. I don't use FaceTime anywhere.

You probably clicked the icon by accident. Or your wife/kids turned it on. Either way the call is coming from inside the house, you turned it on yourself.

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
I'd rather know if someone was using my FaceTime without me knowing.
It's telling you that someone went to their mac,and added your email for theirs and now it's hooked up with yours. They either messed up, or are going about hacking the totally wrong way.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
It was turned on on the phone, and I have used it a bit in the past.

The thing is, this happened randomly, before I plugged it in for syncing this morning.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It was turned on on the phone, and I have used it a bit in the past.

The thing is, this happened randomly, before I plugged it in for syncing this morning.

I bet you're not the only one using the Mac Pro. Your wife/kids must have messed with it and turning it on will detect your Apple ID and automatically add your email on file to it. Is it currently turned on on the Mac Pro?

----------

FaceTime was switched on on the computer as well, but the program was not open or anything. Again, nothing different from the last several months.

This will automatically add your email to it, as the computer is logged to your Apple ID just from syncing. Nothing to worry about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.