Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

google0912

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012
It's not purely an HDMI connection issue, because I have had a few momentary video dropouts to black screen using the Mini's MDP/Thunderbolt port with an adaptor to DVI to connect a 20" Apple Cinema Display.

Rarely happens, but it does do it on my 2012 Mini.

Since I switched to the MDP-adapter some days ago the problems are gone here... strange...

spookle

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
This is all very annoying. I was going to get a new mac mini (would be my first apple product) but don't want to whilst there is a significant chance of display problems (via hdmi). Like others here if I spend money to get a brand new computer I'd expect it to work as it should.

I don't want to try one and have the disappointment of it not working properly and the hassle of having to return it. I will wait until this issue is properly sorted out. I guess I might be waiting til next year but oh well.

wafl iron

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
yes this is rather unfortunate to hear. On the bright side, this issue seems to be getting a lot of visibility, so hopefully intel/apple work together to fix it soon.

larryinca

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Sonora CA
Come on guys, "it just works" (I haven't heard that in a while) lol! Seriously, ever since I stopped using the HDMI out, I haven't had any problems 5 weeks and counting....

Me too, using MDP to DVI and working perfectly. However I understand the frustration of those who need the HDMI for TV connection.

spookle

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
It just works...!

Yes I was thinking about that. To me it just isn't good enough if there's an element of the machine that's not working as it should. Why should I pay full price for something that isn't? (Apple are sitting on $100bn!) Plus I don't see why I should have to buy an extra cable and use up a port that I might well want to use for something else at a later date.

I want it working as advertised.

However, and despite not being a mac user to date, I will wait and see if they sort this out and buy one if they do because it seems like a great little machine otherwise.

iwhisper

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Come on guys, "it just works" (I haven't heard that in a while) lol! Seriously, ever since I stopped using the HDMI out, I haven't had any problems 5 weeks and counting....

Me too, using MDP to DVI and working perfectly. However I understand the frustration of those who need the HDMI for TV connection.

unfortunately, just using mdp to dvi is no option for us dual monitor users. so i do not feel very happy about that situation. not buying another mac mini until this is fixed and it is sure that this is a software/driver issue. i will not buy a device with a hardware error.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals

Agreed. Apple needs to address this issue, and soon.. BTW, I was having more than just black screen issues on my mid 2011 base mini (Intel 3000 GPU) I had snow as well as kernel panics on reboot issues as well. I probably mentioned this 50 times already in various threads, but who's counting :)

spookle

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
Nice to see this thread has turned into a place to bitch and cry about things rather than actually talk about a fix. Crap a bunch of the people bitching and complaining don't even own the new mini. Sure accomplishes a lot by just complaining about it.

I hate the low oil pressure issue with the Porsche 911 Turbo. I can't believe that they haven't fixed that problem. How dare they.

Companies must love you. Buy their faulty products and fix them for them. Then they can add to their $100bn stash.

As has been said only Apple can fix this and it's not unreasonable to complain about it. Yes even for me who doesn't yet own one.

Internet forums are place to exchange tips and information *and* express/share your opinions about something even if it is negative. That's life.

Jig3n

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
I swapped my mac mini for a new one yesterday afternoon (for the 2nd time) with hopes that they're not all affected by the hdmi display problem.

What I find interesting this time around is that they've disabled the 10.8.2 update for the new macs. I can't even install it manually.

I guess thats their solution for now.

So far so good.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
well, i owned one - and gave it back. you know, there is NO real fix for that problem. only apple and/or intel can provide a fix if it is a software based issue.

since there is a thread in the intel forums about pc users having the same issue since june i wonder if it is software based after all - maybe it is a faulty design. we'll see...

Yeah, I'm betting this is a hardware fault in the HD4000 GPU. Intel has released at least two versions of updated Memory Resource Code (MRC 1.5, 1.6), and still NO GO! This is mid-way through Ivy Bridge lifespan, and Intel has no solution by now.

The Apple design team really screwed up this time: 1) pulling out the Radeon GPU option and putting all their eggs on Intel's HD4000 GPU, 2) waiting a half year to update the Mini to Ivy Bridge, and then releasing it with a known HDMI issue that Intel has known about since June.

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.

For some of us (myself included), using a MDP to HDMI adapter will do... but for people that want dual monitors it won't do :(.

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
For some of us (myself included), using a MDP to HDMI adapter will do... but for people that want dual monitors it won't do :(.

Unfortunately that DID NOT work for me. Basically if HDMI is anywhere in the chain for me, I get blackouts.

The only thing that I have that does stop the blackouts is by going mini display port to VGA. My monitor only had HDMI and VGA inputs, no DVI. The downside is a noticeable drop in sharpness which to me is worse than the 3 times a day blackout. But my tolerance is wearing thin.

For our company, It a good thing we always buy one of any new model first before doing mass replacements. The mini for work has the dropout much worse than my machine.

The plan was to replace all 12 current minis (1st gen intel core duo ) with the i7 configs. As of now that purchase is on hold pending resolution of these issues

boeingcaptain

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
Lost a customer

My first commuter was a Mac SE back in the 80's and I was a loyal Mac User until shortly after the PowerPC came along. Migrated to the "dark side" due to job software only on Windows. I have retired and was finally ready to give Mac another shot. I was waiting for the iMac or mini. I waited over a year a new version of either. My PC finally died and since the iMac seems to be slightly delayed for some reason and I need a computer NOW. I decided to order the mini. Then this blinking screen thing came up and frankly I'm not buying a flaky computer. Sorry to say I just bought a Win 7 all-in-one computer that can upgrade to Win 8 if desired for $15.

Sad but Apple lost a customer. If they had just acknowledged the problem and promised a fix, I would have pulled the trigger on the mini.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Companies must love you. Buy their faulty products and fix them for them. Then they can add to their $100bn stash.

As has been said only Apple can fix this and it's not unreasonable to complain about it. Yes even for me who doesn't yet own one.

Internet forums are place to exchange tips and information *and* express/share your opinions about something even if it is negative. That's life.

Sitting around and bitching about it does nothing to solve the problem. It's totally worthless and a waste of bandwidth and time for everyone involved.

If you have a problem, the best thing to do is call Apple and open a ticket for it. Nothing else will fix it.

Companies must love you. Buy their faulty products and fix them for them.

Where did I EVER say that this is acceptable? I've said countless times that this is an issue that Apple needs to resolve but the only way they'll put more effort into resolving it is to call them and make them aware that more and more users are experiencing problems. Simply said that complaining about it fixes nothing. Sure for some people complaining and ranting makes them feel better but the next day, the problem is still there and nothing has changed.

Last edited by a moderator:

mlwx

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2003
Me Too

Thought it could not happen to me. 2 black screens which last for about a second. one today and yesterdayHDMI-HDMI connection.

rdpbass

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2011
Got My new server on 11/16. A couple of black screens on saturday and the first grey screen today, called the boy's up and went thru their routine like I'm the only one having this issue. Next time letting them have it.

eizen

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2012
I spoke too soon. My base mac mini i5 REALLY started playing up today.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=34qwdw1&s=6

Registered to join the crowd with problems.
I got a mini this Saturday, the 2.3 i7.
The same snowy screen happened, turning off my dell 2412m and then back on resolved the problem. That's just silly of course.

I'm using the provided hdmi to dvi adapter. Maybe I'll return it since there is the 14 day return period.

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Thought it could not happen to me. 2 black screens which last for about a second. one today and yesterdayHDMI-HDMI connection.

And what if you use Thunderbolt>HDMI connection?

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
And what if you use Thunderbolt>HDMI connection?

Think more people need to look at posting on the Apple discussion board about this. They have a large thread there. That forum is monitored by Apple so they're more likely to see the size of the issue if people are posting there.

ofmyeye

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Sitting around and bitching about it does nothing to solve the problem. It's totally worthless and a waste of bandwidth and time for everyone involved.

If you have a problem, the best thing to do is call Apple and open a ticket for it. Nothing else will fix it.
You know what else is a bigger 'waste of bandwidth'? Going on message boards and assuring people this is a minor issue occurring on only a small percentage of minis when in reality you don't know jack about the situation.
Stop being such a cheerleader fan boi.

You know what another option is besides opening a worthless Apple Support Ticket? The best option is to march to your local Apple Store and return for a refund!
I did that, got a new retina iPad instead and couldn't be happier.
I'm going to stick with building hackintosh for all my software engineering needs. Apple apparently can't build a quality desktop anymore.

DocBru

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
Germany
After reading the posts here I went ahead and bought myself a cheap MDP => HDMI cable (since I don't like adapters). So far works perfectly.

ofmyeye

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
It shouldn't be about what will make do. It should work or they should not sell.
All these people with band-aid solutions are going to be sad when they decide to try a 2nd monitor someday. I can't imagine paying top dollar for a computer and then having to make do because it's not ready for prime time.
Bad job Intel, worse job Apple.

lerxstz

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Got my worst video glitch yet: literally about 10 seconds of alternating black screen/snow. Connected via HDMI to a tv (with a second monitor on the thunderbolt port using a mini-display-port to VGA adapter). This is extremely disappointing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.