Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
This has been happening more and more frequently lately. I'll plug my 2010 11" MBA in, and after a minute or two, the light on the charger will turn off. This doesn't happen every time, but I've noticed it happen 4 times this past week. Disconnecting and reconnecting the magsafe resolves the issue, at least until the next time.

Yesterday, I ran the battery down until it was almost dead. I plugged it in for a couple hours, and when I came back, the battery symbol was "charging" but the charger's light was off. When I disconnected the charger, the battery was at the same place it was when I had left it a couple hours before. So basically the battery didn't charge, but the laptop was still being powered that whole time.

Any suggestions? I'm out of warranty, and it doesn't happen that often, so I'm not sure I could reproduce the issue in front of a genius.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This has been happening more and more frequently lately. I'll plug my 2010 11" MBA in, and after a minute or two, the light on the charger will turn off. This doesn't happen every time, but I've noticed it happen 4 times this past week. Disconnecting and reconnecting the magsafe resolves the issue, at least until the next time.
What was the charge level when you plugged it in? If it's over 93%, it's normal that it may not charge any more, until it drops below 93%.

See the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
What was the charge level when you plugged it in? If it's over 93%, it's normal that it may not charge any more, until it drops below 93%.

See the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

It was below 10% when I plugged it in.

supernet33

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
I had the SAME issue with my MBA 2010. I took it into apple 3 times. They replaced the cable(inside MBA going to the power socket) and the Moho to fix the issue.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I had the SAME issue with my MBA 2010. I took it into apple 3 times. They replaced the cable(inside MBA going to the power socket) and the Moho to fix the issue.

Wow, so they'll have to open it all up. I doubt that they would take care of that for free for me since its been out of warranty for a year, but I will still need to get it fixed. What did you say when you went in? Just what I explained in my original post, or was there more to it? Also, I don't know how to reproduce the issue at will for them. It only happens intermittently.

And what is a Moho?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Wow, so they'll have to open it all up. I doubt that they would take care of that for free for me since its been out of warranty for a year, but I will still need to get it fixed. What did you say when you went in? Just what I explained in my original post, or was there more to it? Also, I don't know how to reproduce the issue at will for them. It only happens intermittently.

And what is a Moho?

What you are seeing is definitely not normal.

I think he means motherboard (Mobo) and it was a typo.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
this happens with my 2010 macbook pro occasionally. usually if the green light goes out it goes out within the first minute ot two of being plugged in. if it stays green longer then that it is usually ok.

This was a problem along time ago and it went away when i got a new power adapter. it was good for about 8 months now its acting up again.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I cleaned the contacts a few days ago with a clean pencil eraser, works so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.