Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anfield

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Hi Guys,

I received my iPad mini yesterday (2 days late!) and I was wondering how I should have charged it for the first time?

I think I made a mistake and charged it over night ready for work today. Should I have just let the battery run down to 0% and then charge it to full capacity?

Thanks in advance.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Charge it up fully and enjoy :)

I'd avoid deep drains as that will shorten the lifespan of the battery

Anfield

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Right, thank you.

I am letting it run down now and then will charge it fully.

Last night I charged it out the box from 85% overnight, I hope it hasn't worsened the battery life.

:(

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am letting it run down now and then will charge it fully.
Why let it run down, I'd avoid draining it just for the sake of draining it. Batteries are measured by cycles adding draining/charging cycles decreases the lifespan.

You charged it up last night as you should have, but I'm not sure why you want to drain it

Anfield

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Why let it run down, I'd avoid draining it just for the sake of draining it. Batteries are measured by cycles adding draining/charging cycles decreases the lifespan.

You charged it up last night as you should have, but I'm not sure why you want to drain it

Okay, I'm currently at 20% battery life after 5 hours and 18 minutes usage with 12 hours and 28 minutes in standby. I did Facetime for over 2 hours though.

The only reason I wanted to let it run out and then charge it was due to reading a few articles online stating that was what should be done and not charging it out the box like I did last night.

Thanks for advice guys.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
FWIW Apple recommends users deplete the battery fully once a month to recalibrate the device's battery meter. Except for that, it is best to recharge before 50% drain when possible.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
FWIW Apple recommends users deplete the battery fully once a month to recalibrate the device's battery meter. Except for that, it is best to recharge before 50% drain when possible.

Why would it be best to recharge before 50% drain? Doesn't that increase the number of charge cycles therefore killing the battery faster? I always thought that the battery had a set number of charge cycles and charging fewer times by plugging it in at, say 10%, resulted in fewer cycles.

Enlighten this noob please :D

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Why would it be best to recharge before 50% drain? Doesn't that increase the number of charge cycles therefore killing the battery faster? I always thought that the battery had a set number of charge cycles and charging fewer times by plugging it in at, say 10%, resulted in fewer cycles.

Enlighten this noob please :D

Sure, but who has time to charge at 10%. I'm using 50% at the max to let to go down before charging. If you can do it before that's good too. It's worse on the battery once you drop below 50% for charge, but sometimes it's not possible to charge and ultimately most trade up these devices before the battery really gets bad.

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
I drained it when we got ours. Got it at 52% and 2 days later it went off totally flat. Charged to 100% which doesn't take long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.