Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmw16

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
I am going to be replacing the drive in my 2011 iMac with an SSD. I've narrowed my choices down to either the Samsung 830 or the Crucial M4 (both 256GB).

The Samsung is about $40 more than the Crucial. I am not worried about the money unless the M4 is every possible way just as good or better than the Samsung.

I had originally planned on the Samsung because Apple uses Samsung SSD's in their computers and I figured that was the best way to go. But then I read depending on which firmware version of the 830 I get I may not get the best performance.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
I just put a Samsung 830 120GB in a MacBook Pro and it worked like a charm. I would watch Newegg like a hawk this week and I'm sure one of those drives you're after might go on sale again. You can set up watchlists too if there is a specific model you're after.

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I've previously put a Crucial M4 into a Mac Mini and, two days ago, a Samsung 830 into my iMac. I bought the Crucial M4 solely based on the price as it was the cheapest quality SSD in UK-Amazon. I've had no problems with it. Truth be told, I've read so much more mixed comments about the M4 firmwares and even after a period of reading wasn't sure which firmware is the best.

The reason I chose Samsung 830 was because so many people are raving about its speed, reliability and the fact that, unlike Crucial, Samsung builds
its own SSDs. Moreover, I think Apple uses Samsung 830 SSDs. You do have to update these using Windows but mine came with the latest firmware (and I do use Windows via Boot Camp). One thing to bare in mind though is that these Samsung SSDs are extra-thin (thinner then M4 I believe). I paired the Samsung with an all-metal SSD SATA converter by Ice Dock.

dmw16

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
I've previously put a Crucial M4 into a Mac Mini and, two days ago, a Samsung 830 into my iMac. I bought the Crucial M4 solely based on the price as it was the cheapest quality SSD in UK-Amazon. I've had no problems with it. Truth be told, I've read so much more mixed comments about the M4 firmwares and even after a period of reading wasn't sure which firmware is the best.

The reason I chose Samsung 830 was because so many people are raving about its speed, reliability and the fact that, unlike Crucial, Samsung builds
its own SSDs. Moreover, I think Apple uses Samsung 830 SSDs. You do have to update these using Windows but mine came with the latest firmware (and I do use Windows via Boot Camp). One thing to bare in mind though is that these Samsung SSDs are extra-thin (thinner then M4 I believe). I paired the Samsung with an all-metal SSD SATA converter by Ice Dock.

Thanks for all of that. So will I need to flash the firmware? What happens if I don't? I don't really have easy access to a windows machine.

Or will I likely get the latest firmware?

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks for all of that. So will I need to flash the firmware? What happens if I don't? I don't really have easy access to a windows machine.

Or will I likely get the latest firmware?

I think you will likely get the latest firmware.

Samsung's Magician software is used to flash the firmware and it is only Windows-compatible.

dmw16

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
I think you will likely get the latest firmware.

Samsung's Magician software is used to flash the firmware and it is only Windows-compatible.

Will I be able to tell when I put it in my computer?

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010

Crucial, (Micron), does build its own SSDs. Crucial is the consumer products arm of Micron. Micron and Intel jointly own IM Flash Technologies, which manufactures the NAND flash chips for both companies, at plants in Utah and Singapore.

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
Will I be able to tell when I put it in my computer?

I'm not entirely sure since I didn't check my Samsung 830 but the firmware version it has should be printed on the drive or on somewhere of what came with the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.