Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOzzie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
Melbourne
In that case I would say go with the Nexus 7 as Google Maps is far better integrated with everything else in Android than the Google Maps app in iOS will be, with Apple not allowing you to choose default apps for anything and all.

Thanks, I have a galaxy nexus as my phone, really like the mini, but a 3g n7 for 100 less is tempting. Let's see how this pans out though. Tablets and mapping are very important for me when traveling, really want g maps there! Apple maps in Australia are a joke 90% of the time unfortunately.

----------

I didn't know the nexus 7 allowed users to change its default maps app from Google?

You can choose defaults for every app on Android, but for maps why would you, Google maps and nav is brilliant.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
You do know your own picture proves Google does not own all the data. It is also safe to say they buy a lot mapping data from other 3rd parties to check their data against.

In my own post I said Google dropped third party mapping information in a MAJORITY of countries. My earlier post was to point out that Google does own MOST of its own data, as the person who I originally directed this response towards didn't believe Google owned any data. His reasoning behind why Google didn't offer free turn by turn to iOS users as they would have to pay heavy licensing fees to third party companies.

This is just incorrect. Google does in fact own a majority of the worlds maps. Do they own every map in every country? Of course not, but they do own the maps in the areas where iOS devices are primarily sold, leading me to believe that licensing fees are a drop in the bucket for the few countries where Google didn't own the data.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
In that case I would say go with the Nexus 7 as Google Maps is far better integrated with everything else in Android than the Google Maps app in iOS will be, with Apple not allowing you to choose default apps for anything and all.

I haven't tried it but wether it is possible or not how is that relevant to my response to iOzzie?

Thin skin, much? Your complaint with iOS was that you can't change the default maps app. It seemed like you were saying you could change the Android maps app with the Nexus. I asking if that was really possible.

iOzzie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
Melbourne
Thin skin, much? Your complaint with iOS was that you can't change the default maps app. It seemed like you were saying you could change the Android maps app with the Nexus. I asking if that was really possible.

It is, see below -

I don't have any other mapping programs installed, if I did they would also appear.

2rvyno3.png

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Then why don't you buy an android device? Apple maps work perfectly fine.

yeah I'm gonna switch to another phone for ONE app....

if Apple Maps "works perfectly fine" then Tim Cook wouldn't have released a statement about it.

if getting rid of transit information, not showing the numbers of highway exits, showing that a shopping center is an airport and mislabeling street names is "perfectly fine" for you, then ok.

but for me it's not...

Apple Maps will get better with time (hopefully), but they need to approve Google Maps ASAP.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
If Google Maps gets into the App Store, then I can upgrade to iOS 6. In the mean while I'm sticking with iOS 5 while traveling.

If Apple EVER rejects Google's Maps app, I swear... this is ****ing ********. Microsoft would've gotten a 500 billion anti-trust fine for that. Just like that EU 10% of all revenue fine BS because of lack of browsing choice popup on installation of Windows 7 SP1. And what about UIWebView lacking the JS Nitro engine? Isn't that killing competition? The only reason I don't use Chrome on iOS is because of that.

I wish the legal system would apply equally for everyone.

Unfortunately anti-trust laws are not about anti-competitive behaviour, but about monopolist anti-competitive behaviour. The more market share that Android takes, the less legal grounds there are for forcing Apple to be more open.

Unless you're in central London, where I just tried this and it recommended I go to a "supermarket" (actually a corner shop) a mile away, which doesn't actually sell petrol at all.

Well there's your problem, asking to find a gas station when you want a petrol station ;)

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
It is, see below -

I don't have any other mapping programs installed, if I did they would also appear.

Are those other two options web browsers or map apps? Can I load an alternate Maps app on Android 4.x and set it as the default without Google having 24x7 location data?

iOzzie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
Melbourne
Are those other two options web browsers or map apps? Can I load an alternate Maps app on Android 4.x and set it as the default without Google having 24x7 location data?

They are both browsers, Android is asking, what would you like to open this link with by default (either once or every time)

I don't have any other mapping apps installed (don't want/need them) but it would appear if I did. If you revoked Googles location data rights and just set them to the new app, that would work. But the loss in functionality across the rest of the Google Apps suite would not be worth it IMO.

Happy to be corrected, but that is how I understand it. Choice is nice, and Android gives that too you. I can't (read: wont) see Apple allowing G Maps to replace Apple maps with full Intergration across the OS.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

yes you can. I have had google earth appear as one of the choices. You can even uninstall google maps.

Hell you have been able to do this stuff since 2.x and I would not be surprised if the 1.x could as well.

In android you can replace and change the default for almost everything in it. Maps can be replaced. The voice search function can be replaced.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Indeed - even how you share can be replaced with a different sharing app.

Not necc the OP - but there are so many people who criticize Android and how bad it is otherwise and don't know a thing about it. Quite sad. And ignorant. I don't enter into a discussion about a movie I haven't seen and start comparing it to another I have. Don't do it with a book. Or any other tech. I'm happy to talk about my experience and/or ask questions to others. But I'd never make claims or accusations for products I'm not familiar with.

yes you can. I have had google earth appear as one of the choices. You can even uninstall google maps.

Hell you have been able to do this stuff since 2.x and I would not be surprised if the 1.x could as well.

In android you can replace and change the default for almost everything in it. Maps can be replaced. The voice search function can be replaced.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
They are both browsers, Android is asking, what would you like to open this link with by default (either once or every time)

I don't have any other mapping apps installed (don't want/need them) but it would appear if I did. If you revoked Googles location data rights and just set them to the new app, that would work. But the loss in functionality across the rest of the Google Apps suite would not be worth it IMO.

Happy to be corrected, but that is how I understand it. Choice is nice, and Android gives that too you. I can't (read: wont) see Apple allowing G Maps to replace Apple maps with full Intergration across the OS.

Thanks for the info, guys!

I have to upgrade a 2.x Android phone for work (which doesn't appear to be able to change the Maps, not that I've found anyway) and it would be nice to be able replace the Maps app with something else.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Thanks for the info, guys!

I have to upgrade a 2.x Android phone for work (which doesn't appear to be able to change the Maps, not that I've found anyway) and it would be nice to be able replace the Maps app with something else.

Settings - Applications - Maps - Restore default settings button

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Same study based made by a "user" that failed to realize what API he was using and thus got wrong results?

Citation? I showed you my references. If you're going to make claims, show me yours.

----------

The problem was, as I recall, that he used a function in the API that didn't actually corresponded with what you would get if you searched on Google or directly in the iOS 5 application. If you try some of his searches on Google Maps via a browser you will find that they actually come back with the correct result (at least the ones I've tried).

If that's the case it's not something I heard about. Do you have a link?

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
but it does work, completely fine for me in my city.

saying it doesnt work at all is a stupid thing to say when clearly it does work at all.

"I've invented a new form of deodorant can. Sure, it's got a few issues - 50% of the time it's used it kills the person holding it. But I've just used it, and I'm still alive, so what's the problem!"

:rolleyes:

jrodsep

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Would love to see an official Google Maps app on the App Store. But I would prefer for them to update the YouTube app first.

dv8r

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2012
Copenhagen
Citation? I showed you my references. If you're going to make claims, show me yours.

Sorry for the speed of this - that will teach me not to bookmark some of the more interesting ones...

It was a question - but never mind, I believe this is what's being debated in these posts:
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15921290/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15921345/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15921378/

Including referenced post at stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11614721/clgeocoder-geocoding-is-hopelessly-inaccurate

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Sorry for the speed of this - that will teach me not to bookmark some of the more interesting ones...

It was a question - but never mind, I believe this is what's being debated in these posts:
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15921290/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15921345/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15921378/

Including referenced post at stackoverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11614721/clgeocoder-geocoding-is-hopelessly-inaccurate

Please add some explanation - do you really expect us to follow four naked links and try to figure out your argument for you?

dv8r

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2012
Copenhagen
Please add some explanation - do you really expect us to follow four naked links and try to figure out your argument for you?

I think they are pretty straightforward - manually verification of the searches provided to the Google API did show more correct results.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
I think they are pretty straightforward - manually verification of the searches provided to the Google API did show more correct results.

The tests I linked to were done using the iOS 5 and iOS 6 Apple geolocation/mapping APIs. Both versions make the *same* API calls, but the iOS 5 routes those API calls through Google Maps on the back-end, while the iOS 6 version uses the new Apple back-end.

If the iOS 5 version were using the 'wrong' Google Maps API calls, then people would have been complaining about the accuracy of the *OLD* maps app.

If you can find something that addresses the results of the tests I linked to, rather than an arbitrary programming question, feel free to revisit this. Otherwise, you're drawing a direct line from point A to point B where there is no apparent connection.

dv8r

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2012
Copenhagen
The tests I linked to were done using the iOS 5 and iOS 6 Apple geolocation/mapping APIs. Both versions make the *same* API calls, but the iOS 5 routes those API calls through Google Maps on the back-end, while the iOS 6 version uses the new Apple back-end.

If the iOS 5 version were using the 'wrong' Google Maps API calls, then people would have been complaining about the accuracy of the *OLD* maps app.

If you can find something that addresses the results of the tests I linked to, rather than an arbitrary programming question, feel free to revisit this. Otherwise, you're drawing a direct line from point A to point B where there is no apparent connection.

Marco's Excel sheet with the results is easily checked towards Google directly, and they do not give the same result (e.g. the China example in the linked posts) - they do correspond more with the results coming out of the new CLGeocoder. Therefore the question is relevant - did he do this test towards the wrong API?

Feel free to believe something else - but that doesn't make it any more true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.