Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Wow this is really getting annoying the constant whining on the screen and I actually own a photography forum and this is beyond stupid. If anyone should complain is us old farts that can't see **** without reading glasses. I'm one of them I wear 275 magnification reading glasses and I'm 56 years old and what we have here are folks that can actually freaking see without help. Folks get over it . It is what it is and it won't change till it does if ever. This is better than my Ipad2 . Tell you what maybe the money you don't spend buying a mini than donate it to people that lost there homes and still without power from hurricane Sandy. They could use it more. I already donated a minis worth. Maybe you should to so you can feel better and not be so grumpy.

I say this with a smile so don't flame me.

I can't belief I'm actually going to post this I should know better. Lol

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
I can clearly tell the difference between 1080 and 720, even on a 32 inch tv.

That's a meaningless statement in isolation. At a minimum, you need to state the viewing distance, the native resolution, and the type of material you're viewing. Then there's this chart to ponder:

resolution_chart.jpg

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
When you throw small text in there, the difference becomes more obvious. We're not all alike, and what one persons sees clearly another may not.

There are only a small percentage of this entire human population that can resolve the most finest detail in the difference in resolutions especially in this case of 720p vs 1080p on a 47" HDTV at a distance of 10 feet. If you fall in this super vision class that is unfortunate for you because companies build products for the majority use. You would fall under the minority group.

Just as some men with size 20 shoes you're not going to be able to find som shoes at the local mall. That's just too bad for you. Wile the majority will get to enjoy their devices, you will have to deal with these trivial differences. It's like watching a movie but complaining about how batman's costume is not made of real bullet energy absorbing material when no one gives a Fk. Just like the non issue with the iPad 4 screen (non-flaw).

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Tell you what maybe the money you don't spend buying a mini than donate it to people that lost there homes and still without power from hurricane Sandy. They could use it more. I already donated a minis worth. Maybe you should to so you can feel better and not be so grumpy.
I agree. Haiti, Cuba and Jamaica have all been hit terribly by hurricane Sandy.

I say this with a smile so don't flame me.
It seems like you're a good person. :) (This is not sarcasm or anything like that).

I can't belief I'm actually going to post this I should know better. Lol
You should have known better, haha.

Personally, I'd love to see these kind of high pixel density displays. I'm still quite young and I, luckily, don't need any reading glasses (yet). I can see how the 326 pixels per inch display on the iPhone is enough for a lot of people, and I can even see why the iPad 3's 264 ppi display is sharp enough, but I can personally still 'differentiate' the pixels on an iPhone 5's display (let alone an iPad 3's/iPad 4's display).

And I'm gladly looking forward to the day that I can not differentiate any pixels at all (as in: those displays have become better, and not as in: my eyes have become worse).

Needless to say, I think the iPad mini's 163 pixels per inch display is still sufficient anno 2012. Next year, however, I'd like to see a display with a higher pixel density.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I bought the mini because I wanted that size device, Apple finally made one, I prefer the Apple ecosystem, I got the mini, I put my stuff on the mini, the mini works great, I don't have a problem with the mini in any way (battery, finish, function), I like it better than the smaller mid-size tablets i was using in the meantime, case closed FOR THIS CONSUMER.

Why the mods permit this endless honking on why people have bought their mini iPads is just beyond my ken. Overburdened, perhaps.

Agreed. Buy what best fulfills your requirements and let others do the same.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Looking at the text examples on this web site; 440ppi is my new minimum standard for a hand-held device. They say perfect human eyesight max's out at 477ppi; 440 is close enough for me. The Mini only has 163ppi.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/440-...xy-S-III-vs-Nexus-4-screen-comparison_id36602

First off, get a life troll.

Secondly, the reason I want it is because it runs iOS, is 32g lighter than a Nexus 7, and has more screen real-estate (and not 16:9 ratio, which sucks!)

http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/specs/

http://www.google.com/nexus/7/specs/

BTW I noticed that Google even copied Apple's website look for the Nexus. Pathetic.

Guy Mancuso

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
I agree. Haiti, Cuba and Jamaica have all been hit terribly by hurricane Sandy.

It seems like you're a good person. :) (This is not sarcasm or anything like that).

You should have known better, haha.

Personally, I'd love to see these kind of high pixel density displays. I'm still quite young and I, luckily, don't need any reading glasses (yet). I can see how the 326 pixels per inch display on the iPhone is enough for a lot of people, and I can even see why the iPad 3's 264 ppi display is sharp enough, but I can personally still 'differentiate' the pixels on an iPhone 5's display (let alone an iPad 3's/iPad 4's display).

And I'm gladly looking forward to the day that I can not differentiate any pixels at all (as in: those displays have become better, and not as in: my eyes have become worse).

Needless to say, I think the iPad mini's 163 pixels per inch display is still sufficient anno 2012. Next year, however, I'd like to see a display with a higher pixel density.

LOL. Thanks

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
$199 and I believe it is thinner than the iPhone 5.

No it's $600. $200 is when you buy it with the 2-year contract subsidy.

Also it's thicker than iPhone 5. 0.38 vs 0.30 inches. As a reference iPad mini is 0.28 inches thick.

I'd love a higher resolution iPad mini display but let's remember that it's a 5" phone. An 7.85" display on a thin form factor cannot have the same density right now unless you sacrifice the battery life and increase the price.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Let's remember that retina comes with trade offs. iPad 3 was thicker, hotter, heavier, took longer to charge, and had a shorter battery life than iPad 2. All to support the retina display. Not saying it's not worth it, but there's a cost benefit analysis to just cramming every possible pixel in there.

A little thicker, heavier, hotter, took longer to charge and shorter battery life. Hardly noticeable.
It helps that the iPad 4 now comes with a 12 watt adapter but doesn't everyone let their iPads charge overnight?

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
A little thicker, heavier, hotter, took longer to charge and shorter battery life. Hardly noticeable.
It helps that the iPad 4 now comes with a 12 watt adapter but doesn't everyone let their iPads charge overnight?

My mbp 17" is heavier, eats more power,takes long to charge, isn't all that portable these days and after the iPad mini, I hardly even use my iPad 3.

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
The average hyena can see over 12,000 PPI. Show an iPad Mini display to a hyena, and it will laugh.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
So, this is an area where there has been discussion ever since the retina display came out. Some that is missed all the time is the fact that PPI resolution is only one part of the story. You MUST also consider the viewing distance. It is pretty well explained here, and, toward the end of the page it gets to the punch line.

When visually inspecting an object for a defect such as a crack, the distance (d) might be around 12 inches. This would be a comfortable viewing distance. At 12 inches, the normal visual acuity of the human eye is 0.00349 inch. What this means is that if you had alternating black and white lines that were all 0.00349 inch wide, it would appear to most people as a mass of solid gray.

As a point of reference, 0.00349 inches equates to about 286 PPI. Therefore, to get to a viewing distance that would allow you to resolve 477 PPI, you would have to hold the screen about 7 inches away from your face.

Also, for those who are debating the visual images on a 720 vs. 1080 HD TVs, you do have to be careful about a number of factors there, too. First off, the difference between looking at a 1080 picture and a 720 picture on a 1080 TV is of course going to be visible, because the 720 picture will be scaled up and you'll have anti-aliasing effects. Also, two different TVs will have different screen quality. I've looked at 720 and 1080 screens side-by-side where the 720 had the better screen, hands down.

In any event, screen resolution has been substantially lower than "retina" levels for a long time. While these new high res screens are great, they can hardly be considered deal breakers for usability.

hkfan24

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Just ignore this troll. He's been touting nothing but Android and Windows products on these boards. Just read his post history. I have nothing against Android or MS products but this guy clearly has an agenda. Mods, lock this up and put it in Wasteland.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
Just ignore this troll. He's been touting nothing but Android and Windows products on these boards. Just read his post history. I have nothing against Android or MS products but this guy clearly has an agenda. Mods, lock this up and put it in Wasteland.

I do own an iPad 3 and a 2012 15" cMBP; that should qualify me to post my experience and personal preferences on MacRumors and on this iPad forum in particular.

Have the rules changed and now this forum is only accepting posts from iPad fanboys? Or is the fact that I also purchased a Nexus 7 that I am pleasantly surprised with and that I plan to buy a Win 8 convertible this holiday season disqualify me from posting?

ibarrett94

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2011
People do not strictly buy a device based on screen quality.
Perfect eyesight is 447 PPI? Where do I sign up to see life in pixels?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I dare you to see the visual difference between a 47" HDTV @1080p vs @720p from a viewing distance of at least 6+ feet. You will not be able to tell the difference. If you are able to, then nothing on this planet will satisfy you. That's just too bad....FOR YOU!

720p and 1080p on a huge screen is VERY noticeable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.