Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Does anyone have an opinion on the best free blog hosting site? Not exactly a Mac question I know, since most blog hosting sites are OS impartial but I’m curious of any cater to Mac users.

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
What sort of services would a hosting provider be able to provide that would be relevant to a mac user, and not a PC user?

Honest question.

Yea, that's my question. Back in the MobileMe days Apple would host blog sites and obviosuly those were for Mac users. I guess I'm wondering if WordPress, Blogger, Tumble, etc are optimized in any way for Safari since that is what I use. Perhaps there is no difference whatsoever.

Lambros

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Hmm either blogger or wordpress. If you honestly think Google would stop supporting Safari, you are horribly mistaken. There are two reasons for this:
  1. Google benefits from people using blogger, as it actually generates revenue for Google. Why do you think Google is still developing apps for iOS devices?
  2. Google Chrome and Safari both use webkit, so if they were to prevent Safari from being able to run blogger (which, again, wouldn't happen in a million years), then they would also prevent their own browser from running blogger.

So, all in all, it's really a personal preference. I prefer wordpress, because there is much more support, and it is widely used and recognised by many (myself included) as a fantastic blogging platform (I am a web developer). I can't say the same about blogger.

PS Facebook and Google don't get along, as their social networks are rivals...doesn't mean Facebook will prevent Chrome users from visiting Facebook.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have my own web server for many of my customers sites which I build from scratch. However I use WordPress for a few others that I maintain, only for the ease of use of it.

DitteVilladsen

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
My feeling is that WordPress is more likely to pull off a blog that they feel violates their terms of service, or rather, their terms of service are vaguer and are subject to more subjective interpretation. Back before they got more venture capital and some grownups were put in management positions, WordPress used to "disappear" blogs for all kinds of trivial reasons or for no apparent reason at all. They are like PayPal is with your credit balance in that way.

Google on the other hand fights strongly for a blogger's right to say whatever he feels like, even when it is arguably pretty nasty. They are like the ACLU in that respect. Google has the money and legal muscle to go up against law enforcement, private tort attorneys, judges, the feds, and the NSA. They are really aggressive in not folding and giving up your personal information when asked for. They put up a fight.

All in all, I'd go with Blogger over WordPress any day. If you want to do WordPress, buy a Dreamhost account. They will install WordPress for you and update it regularly for you. Don't host on WordPress.com.

Last edited:

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Google on the other hand fights strongly for a blogger's right to say whatever he feels like, even when it is arguably pretty nasty. They are like the ACLU in that respect. Google has the money and legal muscle to go up against law enforcement, private tort attorneys, judges, the feds, and the NSA. They are really aggressive in not folding and giving up your personal information when asked for. They put up a fight.

All in all, I'd go with Blogger over WordPress any day. If you want to do WordPress, buy a Dreamhost account. They will install WordPress for you and update it regularly for you. Don't host on WordPress.com.

good points. I never saw a pr0n WordPress hosted blog, but there are many on Blogger. Google even hosts some government critique Blogs.

bronxred

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Bronx
Dreamhost

Does anyone have an opinion on the best free blog hosting site? Not exactly a Mac question I know, since most blog hosting sites are OS impartial but I’m curious of any cater to Mac users.

I can't say Dreamhost CATERS to Mac users, but I've been a Mac guy since the beginning and with Dreamhost for nine years, and they've never made me feel like a second class citizen (something that can't be said for GoDaddy and many others).

If you just want a simple blog, have you looked at Tumblr? That's what I use. Hosting is great for email/privacy and custom stuff, but not everyone needs it anymore.

Jake :D

Last edited by a moderator:

mormogh13

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
Best Blog Hosting

One of the biggest misconceptions for Mac users is that you have to select the same operating system for your hosting account that you use on your own computer. This is simply not true. In other words, you can select Linux for your hosting account if you currently use Windows or Mac operating systems on your own computer.

You need a reliable web host providing easy 1-click installation and management of Wordpress.

Refer to BH Wordpress Hosting. As an experienced webmaster I recommend BH which I’m sure it would work for you and fulfill all your requirements. They have a really great offer for blog hosting & I have used them for over 5 yrs now, and have never had a single problem with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.