Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warhurst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Hello everyone,

I just bought Beats Audio Studio from an unauthorized seller and suprisingly serial number behind battery cover (7 digits) has registered successfully on the official website of Beats by Dre. The box was untouched and covered. But there are some really suspicious factors that lead me here to ask you guys;
- No batteries came out of the box.
- There are some "printing mistakes" as seller called them when I asked, on the documentations (like moster.com instead of monster.com behind the black user manual and some other various spelling mistakes like "perfor mance" instead of "performance" and poorly printed pictures inside small blue Monster pamphlet.)
- There is a slight sound difference between the one I have and the one sold at the local store where I live which im sure they're authorised seller in Turkey (there are no Best Buy, Amazon etc here). Seller explained it as " demo versions of the products are always better than the actual sold products so that they would leave a good impression on the customers that try them. Just like fragrance testers." The one sold at store seemed to have clearer mids and highs, while on mine heavy bass cause humming and loss of mids and highs. After playing on EQ with PowerAmp app, its better now, but still im skeptical on this.
-Price was around 200 dollars which seller explained; he gets them from UK through his good business relationships and via his relatives. He buys them directly from the company that distributes, not from the final selling point, so that he can sell them a lot cheaper from the actual market price without having to put a lot of profit, tax etc.

All things considered, I'm happy with them. My question is, can the fake ones have serial numbers that can be registered on official website and got all these things that I've listed here? I would call my Beats Studio fake if it wasn't the serial number registration... Would be great to have your opinion on this! Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Warhurst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Also it is important to mention that the headphones ive tested, both mine and the one at store, are tested on the same device (HTC One X) and on same song.

anc1en7z

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2010
Liverpool
The serial number that is printed under the battery cover could have been taken off of a genuine set, and mass printed on the fake ones, only to have them change it every so often.

There's so many fakes of Beats by Dre on the market, if its not from an authorised seller, they're more than likely fake. These fakes are sometimes amazing quality, near original, but you've essentially paid $200 for some headphones which you could of gotten for much cheaper.

Essentially buying beats, if its cheaper than the retail price they're fake, with the exception of authorised resellers.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
But honestly though... why would you buy Beats? They are nowhere near worth the money. I'd sooner spend the money on Sennheisers, Grados, or even Sony. The only thing Beats have is a great looking design; albeit cheap materials.

At this point though. The fakes might just be the same OEM parts as Beats. Monster is no longer the maker.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
They are fake. Simple and true. If you feel they are worth less than you paid, file a claim with your credit card company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.