Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MorganJones

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
London, UK
I already know that the RAM is not user upgradable but does this new stir friction welding make it even harder for us to pull apart the iMac to install our own RAM anyway?

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
I already know that the RAM is not user upgradable but does this new stir friction welding make it even harder for us to pull apart the iMac to install our own RAM anyway?

I would guess that the RAM on the 21" iMac might just be soldered into the motherboard, if their latest laptops are any indication....

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012

We have no idea until someone does a teardown. It might not be upgradable at all - ie, soldered to the logic board.

It might just be hard to get to. Until someone actually gets their hands on one and takes it apart, the only people who can give you a definitive answer are Apple themselves.

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012

The new welding process will have no effect on getting into the iMac. Everything depends on if they still use magnets or some kind of clips to hold the glass/display in place. If they do still use magnets or clips, it will be possible if the ram is not soldered to the logic board. If the display is held in place with any kind of adhesive, you will probably be out of luck.

JaHull

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2009
England
I would guess that the RAM on the 21" iMac might just be soldered into the motherboard, if their latest laptops are any indication....

looking at the Tech Specs page on the iMac webpage it says "8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory" under the memory section which would indicate that it is not soldered on, since it would be on 1 chip if it was soldered on.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
looking at the Tech Specs page on the iMac webpage it says "8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory" under the memory section which would indicate that it is not soldered on, since it would be on 1 chip if it was soldered on.

It's 2 x 4GB because it's dual channel RAM. The total number of actual chips involved could be 4, 8, or 16, depending on the density of the individual chips. The original 4GB that came with my MBP had 32 total chips, 16 on each module, the 8GB I upgraded to has 16 total chips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.