Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Google Music was launched in the UK on the 13th November and all I can say is wow! Am really impressed with it.

Google Music allows you to upload 20,000 tracks and access them on upto 10 devices. I uploaded 11,000 tracks and its great being able to access all my music everywhere for free!

Anyone else here using Google Music? What do you reckon to it?

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Pretty good, the Instant Mix thing i really like, plus us in the U.K get the match service which has'nt been launched in the U.S yet.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
The Music Manager refuses to launch on my MacBook so I can't use it. So I'm not buying a Nexus until they fix it. I've emailed back and forth with Google tech support but they're absolutely useless.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
Google Music is amazing, been using it for a while now. It syncs flawlessly with iTunes and I have my whole library (nearly 5,000 songs) uploaded to it.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I uploaded my iTunes in anticipation of the Nexus 4. Can't wait to really use it when my new phone gets here!

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Google Music was launched in the UK on the 13th November and all I can say is wow! Am really impressed with it.

Google Music allows you to upload 20,000 tracks and access them on upto 10 devices. I uploaded 11,000 tracks and its great being able to access all my music everywhere for free!

Anyone else here using Google Music? What do you reckon to it?

I like it but i dont often stream my music so i hardly use it....on my phone anyways.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Used it all the time, but eventually caved for iTunes match. Why? because it actually integrates into apps that use iPod, such as my running app. While google music (music) will run in the background, it wasn't the best experience trying to skip, pause etc. and while on a run, I didn't like being distracted by fiddling too much with music controls.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
I have only uploaded about 500 songs so far and it seems to work very well, nice to see the songs appear on my devices straight away ready for streaming

about 80% matched the rest uploaded

Nice to have the option to download songs, I have a limit on my phone so just download to device what I want

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
Do you get any errors when running it?

What happens if you run it from System Preferences?

No errors, and nothing!

There's a process running called Music Manager that I can see in Activity Monitor, but nothing on screen. Running through System Preferences it tells me that it's not running, so I click on Start Music Manager and nothing happens.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
No errors, and nothing!

There's a process running called Music Manager that I can see in Activity Monitor, but nothing on screen. Running through System Preferences it tells me that it's not running, so I click on Start Music Manager and nothing happens.

in system preferences/security what option do you have for allowed software

wonering if the default is set to Apple only or assigned by apple

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Does this work in the same way as iTunes match ie matching the songs, or does each song have to be uploaded? Cos that could take a while!
Also, is there a way to download music onto the sd card?

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Does this work in the same way as iTunes match ie matching the songs, or does each song have to be uploaded? Cos that could take a while!
Also, is there a way to download music onto the sd card?

It works the same as iTunes Match (for people that have it in Europe)

Don't think there is a way to put it on an SD card, unless you download to your computer and transfer the music

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I find it excellent.

Screenshot_2012-11-19-13-42-00.png

Screenshot_2012-11-19-13-43-14.png

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Ive not used it at the moment, as soon as I do I will get back to you.:) I found the download really easy to do and the interface on the phone is very slick.

Do you also have the option to download song for offline use right ? Btw can you pretty much upload ANY audio files ? I have a lot "sets" concerts so that will be a major plus for me or does it work only like itunes match ?

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Do you also have the option to download song for offline use right ? Btw can you pretty much upload ANY audio files ? I have a lot "sets" concerts so that will be a major plus for me or does it work only like itunes match ?

I never stream the music, I always download the songs. You can mark songs, albums, artists or playlists to sync for offline use.

And yes, you can upload any type of audio, if it doesn't match it will be uploaded

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

Yes, one can download. There was some of my files that it would not download, TBH, I wasn't that bothered, mostly I use an iPod classic in the car, I dont use my phone that much for music.

Hope that helps.

Screenshot_2012-11-19-15-34-43.png

Screenshot_2012-11-19-15-48-14.png

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Dave while using/streaming google music how is battery life ?

Thanks.

I cant give you any figures, but battery life seems ok to be honest.

Being in the UK and being capped to 750mb per month for streaming, I still tend to put music on my SD Card. It is however nice though if I fancy listening to something which isnt on my memory card or need quick access to a song - I have all 11,000 of them at my finger tips!

----------

From Google

You can download each track from the web 2 times.

*Please note that if the group of songs you select contains songs that have already been downloaded twice, these songs will be skipped and you will be prompted to use the Google Play Music Manager instead.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Google music seems better than itunes match, the fact that i can upload a whole set and stream it is fantastic ! Cause just a couple of those will eat the storage pretty fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.