Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I have no experience of the Note II but took a SGS3 in favour over a iPhone 5, I really like the experience with the S3, I think that the enhancements that Samsung have introduced into the Note II only bode well. I think you will enjoy the Note 2, many here have recounted good things about it. Would like to hear your impressions when you get it.

Nice one, Dave.

Thanks for the constructive feedback.

After watching review after review 'til like 6.30am this morning I am truly impressed ... more so with the OS, than the handset.

I mean, just being able to pop out a video and watch it while browsing the web, for example, is just superb! Being able to do this on an iPad would be sooooo nice, but in true Apple style, they just won't allow us to do it?! Why???? The real estate on an iPad is perfect for a feature like this, but nope ... they won't do it.

I'm kind'a sick of the limitations that Apple imposes on its users. I can understand them restricting some things, in the name of security, but they are like "it's my ball, you'll play my game or no game" ...

If I do indeed get a GN II I will definitely feed back here ... it'd be rude, not to :)

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
How many Note users in here take constant advantage of the S-Pen stuff? It seemed gimmicky last time I saw it, I don't know if it's changed much. How many of you just wanted a massive phone?

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
How many Note users in here take constant advantage of the S-Pen stuff? It seemed gimmicky last time I saw it, I don't know if it's changed much. How many of you just wanted a massive phone?

Just watch some of the reviews on YouTube and you will see just how useful the S-Pen is.

I never thought I'd use a stylus on a phone but from what I can see, it really works.

The handwriting recognition was absolutely spot on in the reviews, and many of the reviewers had "doctor's handwriting" ... ie, messy! Ha :p

I can't wait to try out the GN II this week ...

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

The features are far from gimmicky check out this vid that Cockney posted earlier, not something i'd use everyday (don't own a Note) but i can see some would get great use out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ZSQ-d05YQ

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010

I use the s-pen often to write on scans or photos to point or correct things. You could never do that well with an iPhone.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
The features are far from gimmicky check out this vid that Cockney posted earlier, not something i'd use everyday (don't own a Note) but i can see some would get great use out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ZSQ-d05YQ

Agreed ...

So many times I am on the phone and have to take down a number or address and I have my iPad and/or iPhone infront of me ... yet I always resort to grabbing a good old fashioned pen & paper to write the number/note down with - it's just easier, faster and more natural then loading up an app and tapping on a screen.

Now, if I had a Galaxy Note II with its pen & note taking app (which you can set to instantly pop up when you remove the pen from the phone) it would be equally, if not EASIER than doing it with a traditional piece of paper.

The reason I say it would probably be easier is because the note will already be on your device for you to do with it as you please/need.

I would NOT use the pen in general everyday use, such as moving around the OS or browsing web pages, and certainly not for tapping on the on-screen keyboard (I believe that this is the impression that many people have re "using" the S-Pen, which is why they have such negative views on it).

BUT, as you have pointed out, once one watches one of the videos (the links I have provided) you should really then have a better understanding with regards to how the S-Pen will enhance your user experience ...

Thanks for confirming what I have been saying, buddy ... it's nice to know that you have taken the time to watch the video/s ;)

----------

I use the s-pen often to write on scans or photos to point or correct things. You could never do that well with an iPhone.

... plus you'd probably have to buy an Apple "Magic Pen" or such for something silly like £100 :D

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
The note II is a great phone.
I was also very excited with all the features and watched those videos many times.
Ended up buying one and have been very happy with it.
This forum is very negative when it comes to anything alternative to the iPhone so be wary of all the negative advice.
In the end you have to try it out yourself and see if you like it which I believe you will.

One thing I noticed when I was at the store, looking at the Note II it looks really big when you compare it to a smaller phone but once you get it and use it on a daily basis, it does not look or feel big at all.
It's really a perfect size.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
A big screen phone is like a big monitor, the day you get it you think "**** thats biggg" but after a time you get used to the size and would never go smaller again.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
A big screen phone is like a big monitor, the day you get it you think "**** thats biggg" but after a time you get used to the size and would never go smaller again.

HaHa ... I remember getting my 32" "brick" TV around 2001 and everyone who came into my place thought I was the shizzle-nizzle!

I have since given it to my Nan and although the thing weighs a tonne, the screen looks TINY!

My 50" Samsung plasma looked like a cinema in my living room when I first got it, but now it seems small (ish) to me ... same with my 24" iMac which seemed huge at the time (damn, I remember that feeling when I first pulled it from the box ... I was BUZZIN'!) but it now looks & feels small to me.

So I fully concur with your point re after a time you get used to the size of the GN II.

The thing I am kind'a excited about is the fact that this would be a "new" thing for me. Every since 2008 when got got my iMac, everything has been Apple for me so it would be nice to try something different.

The only thing on my mind, though, is that I wear slim fit jeans (not skinny) so I don't know if the GN II will be "workable" with regards to having it in my jean pocket on a daily basis?

----------

The note II is a great phone.
I was also very excited with all the features and watched those videos many times.
Ended up buying one and have been very happy with it.
This forum is very negative when it comes to anything alternative to the iPhone so be wary of all the negative advice.
In the end you have to try it out yourself and see if you like it which I believe you will.

One thing I noticed when I was at the store, looking at the Note II it looks really big when you compare it to a smaller phone but once you get it and use it on a daily basis, it does not look or feel big at all.
It's really a perfect size.

It's funny ... I have received numerous cocky comments on Macrumors of late to my questions/responses from other forum users (nothing to do with this topic - all Apple related).

However, you GN II owners/users all appear to be friendly and come back with sensible and helpful responses.

Makes you think, doesn't it ... ;)

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

lol! I know that feeling!

----------

It's funny ... I have received numerous cocky comments on Macrumors of late to my questions/responses from other forum users (nothing to do with this topic - all Apple related).

However, you GN II owners/users all appear to be friendly and come back with sensible and helpful responses.

Makes you think, doesn't it ... ;)

It's everyone in this section in general (I notice the same at other android forums). Some prefer a Nexus, others prefer Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc.. but it seems everyone is more willing to help each other instead of pounding their chest claiming their device is the best.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
iOS is a dog which has had 5 years to learn new tricks and has failed miserably.

google, please put iOS down and stop it from halting innovation!

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
iOS is a dog which has had 5 years to learn new tricks and has failed miserably.

google, please put iOS down and stop it from halting innovation!

I have to agree that iOS hasn't really changed much ... they just add on a little feature or two then have a keynote to celebrate a "big new thing"!

Same goes for OS X ... I've been a Mac user since Leopard (2008) and the OS looks and feels EXACTLY the same as it did back then, yet we've had 3 "major" updates? There have been a few added features, yet Apple sells it as a whole new OS & charges you for the privilege of using it ...

I used to think "nice one! A new OS for only 25 quid!" but in reality Apple is just laughing at us and counting their stacks ...

I really got the "Apple bug" after buying my 24" iMac (I'll never forget the first time I unboxed it ... I fell in love with the machine) but I'm now starting I wisen up with regards to Apple and their inflated prices with terrible QC.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
I think apple have gotten to the stage where they are scared to change too much in iOS uncase they alienate their patrons and kill the source of the vast majority of their profits.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
[QUOTE=IFRIT;16324438]I think apple have gotten to the stage where they are scared to change too much in iOS uncase they alienate their patrons and kill the source of the vast majority of their profits.[/QUOTE]

But their whole ethos has been to break the mould ... if they hadn't of had this school of thought then we wouldn't have the iPad or iPhone.

People slate Microsoft but at least they are genuinely trying to innovate and evolve their OS.

Maybe a lot of people will dislike Windows 8 as it is so different, but at least they are giving it a go ... basically giving their customers options.

My iMac has just been repaired becuase the video card died prematurely and I don't know how much more life I will be able to get out of it, and I have been eyeing up (no pun intended!) the new iMacs.

However, I have become thoroughly pissed off with Apple's QC (this iPad has to be returned as there is a gap at the top of the frame, and a loose Home Button - and my iPhone 5 is boxed to be returned today because there is some small piece of something under the screen) and I never thought I'd say this, but I am contemplating buying a PC instead of a new Mac.

Just like I'm contemplating selling the replacement iPhone 5 when it arrives and buying a Galaxy Note II ... I have retuned COUNTLESS iOS devices because of dead pixels and/or dust under the screens and I have just about had enough of it.

Also, watching YouTube reviews of the GN II has really opened up my eyes and made me realise how stale iOS is ... and this is coming from someone who cannot walk past an Apple store!

I would LOVE to be able to just buy an iOS device with zero dead pixels, and free of dust behind the screen but I can now guarantee that there will be one or the other, if not both ...

It's sad, really, that it has come to this for me ...

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I have to agree that iOS hasn't really changed much ... they just add on a little feature or two then have a keynote to celebrate a "big new thing"!

On the other hand - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Although I love my GNII that doesn't mean that I reject all the criticisms of Android - iOS's clean, consistent 'less is more' interface has a lot going for it, and while using Android is hardly rocket science I can see that iOS is simpler.

To be fair, Android doesn't change dramatically between releases - I've just gone from a HTC Hero with 2.1 to a GNII with JellyBean and, while there are a lot of refinements, the biggest jumps-out-and-hits-you change is that finally the hardware is powerful enough to do justice to the software. Features like widgets and App multitasking - that have always been there - make more sense when they no longer slow the phone down to a crawl. I think Apple were dead right to avoid those in the iPhone 1 era, but with more powerful mobile devices they should revisit that decision.

The big new software feature on the GNII - split-screen multitasking - is a Samsung thing, not Android, which I'll be interested to see if I end up using much in anger.

As I'll keep saying - the specific problem is hardware, and that Apple are stuck with the one-size-fits-all iPhone (yet they offer multiple form-factors for all their other lines). The iPhone 5 is a nice form-factor but it is not the only possibility.

Samsung have proven that there is a lot of interest in the "phablet" concept - I suspect the phablet might end up eating in to the market for "high end" 7" tablets (the success of the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire could easily be attributed to their subsidised prices rather than their size).

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I think that it has got to be said, (this is in my experience) Apple's customer service IMHO is second to none, I have had an issue with my original iPad that was replaced with no quibbles and I dropped some tea on my MBP that went into the back and the charging connector port, it stopped charging, they took it apart, cleaned it and tested it and just charged me about 25 quid for the labour.

Trouble with Samsung is that they don't have any of their shops in the UK, having said that, I haven't had any problems with my S3 to present.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I think that it has got to be said, (this is in my experience) Apple's customer service IMHO is second to none, I have had an issue with my original iPad that was replaced with no quibbles and I dropped some tea on my MBP that went into the back and the charging connector port, it stopped charging, they took it apart, cleaned it and tested it and just charged me about 25 quid for the labour.

Trouble with Samsung is that they don't have any of their shops in the UK, having said that, I haven't had any problems with my S3 to present.

I completely agree that Apple's customer service is second to none ...

However, their QC is appauling and every iOS device I buy has either dead pixels or dust under the screen ... or both!

I don't WANT to have to visit a really happy, smiling "Genius" who will be happy to look into the sub standard device that I have just bought ... I want to just buy something then enjoy it!

This is what has worn me thin with Apple on the whole ...

----------

On the other hand - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

... I agree with a lot of what you said but with this attitude, innovation will cease.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I completely agree that Apple's customer service is second to none ...

However, their QC is appauling and every iOS device I buy has either dead pixels or dust under the screen ... or both!

I don't WANT to have to visit a really happy, smiling "Genius" who will be happy to look into the sub standard device that I have just bought ... I want to just buy something then enjoy it!

This is what has worn me thin with Apple on the whole ...

I can't fault you there mate, there's a bit of Mr Angry in me when something goes wrong with something I have purchased, especially if it happens time and again, I can understand your frustrations.

Cockney Rebel

Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I can't fault you there mate, there's a bit of Mr Angry in me when something goes wrong with something I have purchased, especially if it happens time and again, I can understand your frustrations.

Cheers, Dave.

I can understand the odd hiccup but when it's all the time, it just sucks the enjoyment out of it.

Nice to see you flying the St. George, by the way ;)

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

Samsungs ain't too bad, when my sgs2 developed a fault I sent it away and had it back within a week, not as good as good as just popping into an apple store and getting it swapped out but not bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.