Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

njmitchel0

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2008
Ok so I'm new to the final cut pro/editing and had a question about importing some footage.

I have bout 7 discs with 5gb/per of footage that I need to import into fcpx for review.

Im working off a rMBP, so can't I just pop the discs into my computer for transfer. I do have access to my mothers 13 cMBP, so I was thinking I could copy the footage to her hdd and then move it to the external hdd that I am editing off of. Id rather not do that, but it seems to be the only way I can do to get the footage to my external drive.

Soooo, based on that information, how would you go about getting the footage from discs to external drive. Am i correct in my logistical thinking or is another obvious solution flying under my radar.

One more question...when I do get the footage onto the external drive and then import it to the events folder that same external drive, will I have duplicate raw footage?? Any way to avoid this as It seems a bit redundant and would rather not waste space on the hdd with 2 copies of the footage.

Thanks for the help!!

Nov 28, 2010
located
What kind of footage is it? From video DVDs? Anyway, you could copy the contents of the DVD directly to the external HDD, no need to copy it to the internal HDD.

As for duplicates, FCP X probably needs to transcode the footage anyway, thus you have larger files than the 35 GBs you have on those disks.

Video Compression
Why It Matters & How To Make The Most Of It

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Look at it logical... Firstly you have footage which you would like at an end task loaded into FCP-X and what version have you got?????????
Your information are answering your questions.
1 Load unto an External Drive
2. Use 1 to bring in your footage to your Event and Project.
3. FCP-X 10.0.6 is the latest version

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.