Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbstew32

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
seems like they should require you to either replace your iMessage beta with iChat or 'upgrade' to a final release version through the app store for $1.99.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
There's no "fake boundary" here- iMessages was meant to showcase the new notification centre in ML as well as the phone number / email address linking present in iOS and ML. Without these features you aren't getting a very good experience and are liable to complain a lot. Well, you say, why not make it available and let the user decide? Apple tried that with iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G, and people are still whining about how the update "ruined" their phone two years later even though it was an optional upgrade.

It was a beta, it was very clear that it would expire, and it is beta quality, which means you should have deleted it a long time ago. The upgrade is $20 and runs on almost all Macs sold in the last 4 years.

carlemil

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
It makes perfect sense

It's for the same reason facetime has to be bought for Snow Leopard. It uses some patents etc. that they are required to take payment for in a finished project.

You could argue that Apple should sell the Messages to Lion users, but it's simpler just having it as part of a paid OS.

They are simply not allowed to maintain the app for free. So either charge for it or include it in the new OS.

Last edited:

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Yep it's annoying. I'm a MacBook user that can't upgrade to Mountain Lion and these constant fake limitations drive me mad. At least I can do Photo stream sharing on my Windows machine.

Apple in a nutshell. They constantly force their users to upgrade software and hardware on baseless reasons. It's part of their philosophy. You want to be part of this, always have the $$ ready.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Yep it's annoying. I'm a MacBook user that can't upgrade to Mountain Lion and these constant fake limitations drive me mad. At least I can do Photo stream sharing on my Windows machine.

Apple helping it's customers out, to ship (completely) ship to back windows

tomhut

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2004
London
Apple in a nutshell. They constantly force their users to upgrade software and hardware on baseless reasons. It's part of their philosophy. You want to be part of this, always have the $$ ready.

Apple are not forcing you to do anything. Back porting the final version of Messages would have taken a fair amount of work and there is no incentive for Apple to do so. People need to stop their sense of self entitlement.

stepmuel

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
Don't be naive. Of course there are technical reasons. They need to maintain a separate version that links to all the old frameworks and can't use the new system features.

Of course you can argue that Apple should take the effort for a probably very small amount of users. Or that Apple thinks it is somehow smart to push a couple of users to a new system version. But the technical argument makes just much more sense.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
It's for the same reason facetime has to be bought for Snow Leopard. It uses some patents etc. that they are required to take payment for in a finished project.

You could argue that Apple should sell the Messages to Lion users, but it's simpler just having it as part of a paid OS.

They are simply not allowed to maintain the app for free. So either charge for it or include it in the new OS.

Sure, I'll pay for it but Apple aren't giving us that option and I can't upgrade to 10.8 unfortunately. I've already bought it and tried but had to revert back to 10.7.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
For those saying something along the lines of "there's no reason for Apple to do this", you seem to assume that Messages won't continue to be developed and have new functionality added over time that uses features of Mountain Lion. Supporting both Lion and Mountain Lion, as well as whatever OS comes next, is extra work. And considering Apple charges minimally for OS upgrades these days, it's not surprising that they don't want to spend the time and money to continue developing for older OSs endlessly.

ipure

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009
This is a lot like the way they took Siri out for iphone 4 users. If you don't buy their new ****, then say goodbye to your app.
****** Apple !

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Typical Apple move. I think Apple is already being generous enough, they have at least given a time to try it out before buying the new OS. This is no different than the Windows 8 previews which will expire on March of next year.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010

I'm sure Apple wrenched his arm behind his back to download and install it. Apples not forcing you to do anything, only previewing a new upcoming app. Watching trailers at the movie theater does not force you to watch those movies too, or prevent you from enjoying the one your watching now.

theinsider

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
How is this any different from every other OS that introduces new features but requires to you upgrade to the most recent version?

jroz

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
FYI: Software Update DOES reinstall iChat when the Messages Beta is uninstalled. Stop saying it doesn't.

This. I used the beta version of Messages on my '06 mbp earlier this year and uninstalled it because I didn't like it. It went right back to iChat.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Sorry Apple, screw iMessage if you're going to do that. It's extremely pathetic that neither Apple nor Google can make anything better than AOL's AIM. What a joke.

I'd gladly update to Mountain Lion if they didn't decide to screw a bunch of users over by removing Rosetta. Don't give me BS about how I don't need it because I DO NEED IT. Some of my apps use it. There aren't any updates to them or any new alternatives. The developer of one of them died in 2011. Also, there are a few minor things they removed in Lion / Mtn Lion for no good reason. It's still a better OS overall, but that one Rosetta problem just kills it.

----------

Yeah, that's not the way to gain iMessage users when every other messaging system out there is completely FREE. I really want iMessage to do well because it would kill SMS, which should die, but the way Apple's doing things, neither I nor anyone I know use it.

Giving out iMessage for free would put people in the Apple ecosystem and make them recognize Apple more. Google does this sort of thing constantly with its free, ad-free services.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.