Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ForceMan

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
Here's the promised update. I still have ULD on my primary line according to the rep and the "My Verizon" website. Don't ask me for the steps because I tried doing it online and had a bunch of weird things happen. I ended up just calling customer service and a rep helped me with the first part (activating on dumb phone line and then putting the dumb phone back on that line while having the iphone sim go into "sim aging") and the second part (activating the iPhone the next morning after the sim had reset onto my ULD line).

So yes, at least for me, I was able to transfer my upgrade eligibility to a dumb phone that was not yet eligible and keep my unlimited data.

Thanks so much for updating us. So after the online system gave you problems, you called CSR and said I want the phone activated, then taken off, and the sim put in aging?

djdanny

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Thanks so much for updating us. So after the online system gave you problems, you called CSR and said I want the phone activated, then taken off, and the sim put in aging?

I pretty much told them what I was trying to do and the two reps I got both knew what they were doing and walked me through the process and did some stuff on the back end.

All I can say is that the reps pretty much took care of everything for me.

xLiKx

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
just activated the iPhone5 on my mom's dumbphone line on the VZW site. i wanna reactivate her old phone on it but it still shows the old phone on the site. do i need to wait a while before the site shows the iPhone5 on her dumbphone line?

edit: never mind, it's there now but the order is pending so i need to wait. i wonder how long this takes...

Last edited:

xLiKx

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
ok, all set. had to turn on the phone in order to swap it back to the dumb phone. now sure how you guys got past the Order Pending issue without turning it on. now to wait for 7AM EST to activate the iPhone5 on my ULD. hope it goes smoothly!

Last edited:

xLiKx

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
iPhone 5 activated but can't make calls. This is my first iPhone so I guess I need to connect to iTunes on my computer to activate that? I didn't have time this morning to do that. Now I get LTE and go online just fine but can't make any calls. Verizon automated message says phone still not activated...

Edit: nm, working now. Guess it took them some time to activate.

Thanks everyone here for helping me with this.

Last edited:

arenasa

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Here's the promised update. I still have ULD on my primary line according to the rep and the "My Verizon" website. Don't ask me for the steps because I tried doing it online and had a bunch of weird things happen. I ended up just calling customer service and a rep helped me with the first part (activating on dumb phone line and then putting the dumb phone back on that line while having the iphone sim go into "sim aging") and the second part (activating the iPhone the next morning after the sim had reset onto my ULD line).

So yes, at least for me, I was able to transfer my upgrade eligibility to a dumb phone that was not yet eligible and keep my unlimited data.

Thanks for the update on your experience. All these different posts with different scenarios got very confusing. I am in the situation you were in. So thanks!!!

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
I called my local Verizon store this morning as I was about to go through with this online. I asked them if they had a white 32gb in stock and they did. I told him what I wanted to do and he pretty much just said what has been passed along through here. I use my daughter's dumb line to upgrade, he would activate on her line and then reactivate her dumb line immediately. Then I just have to wait until 7am to activate it on my line. So I'm currently just waiting until i wake up to do so. I hope that no problems occur, but so far it couldn't really be easier (other than a $30 upgrade fee... garbage.)

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I called my local Verizon store this morning as I was about to go through with this online. I asked them if they had a white 32gb in stock and they did. I told him what I wanted to do and he pretty much just said what has been passed along through here. I use my daughter's dumb line to upgrade, he would activate on her line and then reactivate her dumb line immediately. Then I just have to wait until 7am to activate it on my line. So I'm currently just waiting until i wake up to do so. I hope that no problems occur, but so far it couldn't really be easier (other than a $30 upgrade fee... garbage.)

When the rep did my upgrade on dumphone line - activate iPhone 5 on dumbphone line - put dumbphone back on line used for upgrade. And proceeded with a hardware swap on the line I wanted the iPhone 5 on to keep unlimited data. She just issued me a new sim card and I did not have to wait until 7AM EST I still have unlimited data on my iPhone 5 line!!!

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
Yea so we have confirmed you can do it that way. But we have conflicting opinions on what happens when the dumbphone line needs a new phone. Some people say transferring the unlimited upgrade to the dumbphone will not affect the unlimited and others say it will. I feel like we need a poll to find out from those who actually did it in an orderly fashion.

I got an iPhone 5 with unlimited data from using this loophole. Someone else in my family just used the upgrade on my line and I still have unlimited data. As long as the person with unlimited data never uses their own upgrade then they will retain unlimited data. Other lines on the family plan can use an upgrade from the unlimited data plan line and it will retain its unlimited data plan. I know some people on here have said otherwise; they are stupid.

topherg

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
soCal
I got an iPhone 5 with unlimited data from using this loophole. Someone else in my family just used the upgrade on my line and I still have unlimited data. As long as the person with unlimited data never uses their own upgrade then they will retain unlimited data. Other lines on the family plan can use an upgrade from the unlimited data plan line and it will retain its unlimited data plan. I know some people on here have said otherwise; they are stupid.

Are you referring to transferring the upgrade from your unlimited line to a dumb phone lineu?? I plan on transferring an upgrade off of my unlimited line to my gfs iphone 2gb data line and ordering the note 2. I'm so worried I'll lose my unlimited! I just was going to pop my s3 sim into the note when it arrives and activate it on my line

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
Are you referring to transferring the upgrade from your unlimited line to a dumb phone lineu?? I plan on transferring an upgrade off of my unlimited line to my gfs iphone 2gb data line and ordering the note 2. I'm so worried I'll lose my unlimited! I just was going to pop my s3 sim into the note when it arrives and activate it on my line

Cool grammar, bro. Your plan should work fine if I'm following it correctly. I gather that you have an S3 with unlimited data, you're eligible for an upgrade, and you want a Note 2. Your girlfriend's line can use your upgrade. Then you can activate her iphone back on her line and activate your new note on your line and you will keep your unlimited data.

You don't even own an iPhone. Blasphemy.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
Well looks like I'm going to have to go into the store today to activate my phone. When trying to do so i click my advice to replace and hit next, only next won't work. It acts as if it's a broken macro or something. Tried to close down and re-enter to no avail. Back to Verizon I go.

Edit: I tried one last time before going to the store and voila... it magically worked.

Last edited:

jmo1116

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
Alabama
Does anyone know how many times this will work? For instance, I have already done this once. I transferred an upgrade from an iphone 4 line to the dumbphone line and then got the iphone 5 with unlimited data. We now have another upgrade so can I transfer it again to the dumb phone line and do the same process again? I would be transferring upgrades to the dumb phone and would, in theory, never upgrade iphone lines which would allow me to keep unlimited data?

Mrlogic

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
One question about this

Okay I totally get how you guys are doing this, but there is still one thing. I was under the understanding that if you sign up on a new data plan it switches all your lines under your family plan to a shared data plan. And that doing so makes all other lines in your family plan loose their unlimited data plans. That's what we were told. If this were true you wouldn't be able to do this workaround.

ForceMan

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
Okay I totally get how you guys are doing this, but there is still one thing. I was under the understanding that if you sign up on a new data plan it switches all your lines under your family plan to a shared data plan. And that doing so makes all other lines in your family plan loose their unlimited data plans. That's what we were told. If this were true you wouldn't be able to do this workaround.

Nope. The line you are ordering under will receive the option of going to a 2GB tiered plan only for that line.

topherg

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
soCal
Cool grammar, bro. Your plan should work fine if I'm following it correctly. I gather that you have an S3 with unlimited data, you're eligible for an upgrade, and you want a Note 2. Your girlfriend's line can use your upgrade. Then you can activate her iphone back on her line and activate your new note on your line and you will keep your unlimited data.

You don't even own an iPhone. Blasphemy.

Thanks for the help BRO! Glad the grammar police is a live and well. You're hard work will knot go unnoticed. Your the man.

p.s. I snuck in some gramatical errors just for you! Keep fighting the good fight.

NAYo2002

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2011
Is it better to power off the iPhone during SIM aging process? Reactivating the dumb phone back on the upgraded line is the only thing that's necessary to initiate SIM aging correct?

Also, I read earlier about not being able to reactive dumb phone for a day due to "pending upgrade" status. Is this true?

mactumors

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
Is it better to power off the iPhone during SIM aging process? Reactivating the dumb phone back on the upgraded line is the only thing that's necessary to initiate SIM aging correct?

Also, I read earlier about not being able to reactive dumb phone for a day due to "pending upgrade" status. Is this true?

I don't think it matters whether the phone is on or off during the aging process. But If the phone was on, you may want to reset the phone to clear the network settings when it is done aging and you want to activate it.

I bought my phone at Best Buy and they reactivated the dumbphone line for me in the store. I left with an iPhone with an aging SIM card.

steelcurtain11

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2011
So I'm on a family plan right now: One dumb phone, one HTC Thunderbolt.

I'm going to use the dumb phone line to upgrade to an iphone 5, then I was going to give my Thunderbolt to the other person so that they can have a new phone too.

What's the best way to go about this? (I thought you could just switch sims, but I guess one is mini and the other micro).

I'm not sure the best order to do this since there's 3 phones in the mix for 2 lines.

(Also, I plan on splitting the family plan after we upgrade to go on my own line for financial reasons.. How can I tell how much my monthly bill will be on a single line with minimum minutes/unlimited text/unlimited data still? All I see on their website is share plans)

capmatt301

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Nation Wide Talk

I have a Nation Wide Talk Plan with 2 lines. One dumb one smart. Can I do this upgrade with this plan. Had it so long don't remember if was considered a Family Plan.

bostonsox

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks for the help BRO! Glad the grammar police is a live and well. You're hard work will knot go unnoticed. Your the man.

p.s. I snuck in some gramatical errors just for you! Keep fighting the good fight.

hey topherg, were you able to successfully do what you were planning to? I am in a similar situation as yours. 2 lines on Family plan:
1. iPhone 4 UDP upgrade available
2. iPhone 4S 2GB upgrade 12/13
I want to transfer upgrade from line 1 to 2, order iPhone 5 on line 2 and just use it there. Unlike others I am not planning to switch it back to line 1. Also, I don't care what happens to eligibility but I want to ensure I keep UDP on line 1.
I have read this whole thread and saw ajm22 and PhoenixMac were able to do it. However, they transferred the upgrade to a dumbphone but mine is a smartphone.
I called 4 times and got conflicting answers about losing UDP.
Has anyone else tried this? What was the result?

Thanks!

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
You would only lose unlimited data in this case if line 2 had it...the loss of unlimited data only affects the RECIPIENT line, not the DONOR line.

You will see this online when you do the process. Do not do it in the store or on the phone...the reps will screw it up.

bostonsox

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2012
You would only lose unlimited data in this case if line 2 had it...the loss of unlimited data only affects the RECIPIENT line, not the DONOR line.

You will see this online when you do the process. Do not do it in the store or on the phone...the reps will screw it up.

Thanks Jtludwig. I am going to give it a try!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.