Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XG2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Well, to be precise, after running a test it's telling me that my iPhone 5's Safari browser is superior to only 35% of all smartphones with a score of 1500. According to them, an iPhone 5 should score around 2500.

I cleared my cache as well as quit all my apps. I'm not sure if it's an issue with my phone or just the test itself, my browser seems pretty darn fast to me (I'm coming from an iPhone 4, though).

Should I be worried or is there a reason for this that doesn't have to do with my phone?

Applefan17

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2012
I don't see any reason to be worried. Sometimes people get to hung up over the numbers and don't focus on the performance itself. If Safari is working good for you, that should be all that matters :cool:

XG2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
I guess my main concern is whether my browser is performing the best it can or if something is going on with my phone that is slowing down the browser. Even though I'm happy with the browser's performance if it could be even better that would be great.

Another part of me is just curious as to why it scored so poorly when it obviously shouldn't.

Applefan17

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2012
Well if you cleared your cache and everything I don't see what the problem would be.

But, I do understand your curiosity. It could possibly just be a bug with BrowserMark, but I doubt it could be anything with the phone because the score clearly doesn't match with the performance.

All I can really offer up as a solution is to restart your phone and see if that does anything. But if not I wouldn't be too worried.

XG2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Getting on average 20 mbps down and 7 up. On Wifi (my LTE signal at home is not that great.)

My iPad 3 is scoring 2100. Kind of worried.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
Thanks for encouraging my OCD. :)

I'll bet you got your unimpressive score using a wifi connection? Am I correct?

Ok, testing my IP5 on browsermark brought out something curious, a wifi issue with the ip5 that many people are aware of.

I have 2 iPhone 5's in the house, and a 4s.

The first thing I noticed was, my 5 on a fast 32-34 Mbps wifi connection didn't score well like yours didn't. Anywhere from 1475 to my best of 2000, most were in the 1500 area, admittedly pretty crappy since the 5 is supposed to get closer to 2500. Here's the thing...

I turned wifi off and did the tests with my much slower att "4g" hspa connection (NOT LTE), which typically is about 4-5 Mbps, compared to my much faster 33 Mbps wifi connection.

Sure enough, the same phone scored 2500-2600 on my much slower 3G connection. Turn wifi back on, much worse scores, despite the fact that my wifi connection will consistently score 33-34 Mbps and 17-20 ms ping times.

I bet if you do the test again, but not with wifi, you'll get closer to 2500.

There's something wrong with wifi on many 5's, not all it seems but many, 6.0.1 didn't fix it. Some speculate its a bad batch of wifi chips that allow wifi to work, but not have the sort of throughput it should. Which is why there are many reports of very slow downloads over wifi, excessive youtube buffering where turning wifi off actually makes it faster, etc. there's a 150 PAGE thread on apples website forum about screwy wifi on the 5. And other smaller but similar threads there too, as well as several here.

This odd browsermark performance where a 33 Mbps wifi connection turns in a horrible score, but a far slower 5-6 Mbps 3G connection turns in a top notch score, is IMO another indication that there are issues with the 5's wifi, whether its hardware or software, I don't know.

To the OP, do a retest on a cellular connection, if your LTE is weak, turn it off and use good old hspa+, I did, and my score went from 1475 to 2600. Interesting...

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Getting on average 20 mbps down and 7 up. On Wifi (my LTE signal at home is not that great.)

My iPad 3 is scoring 2100. Kind of worried.

About what? You ran a test to convince yourself you "may" have a problem. So basically you're manufacturing an issue that doesn't exist. (because it took you to run a test before you "knew" it was slower)

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Browsermark just caused my iPhone 5's Safari to freeze up and crash. Nope, no problems here.

XG2001

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
Thanks for encouraging my OCD. :)

I'll bet you got your unimpressive score using a wifi connection? Am I correct?

Ok, testing my IP5 on browsermark brought out something curious, a wifi issue with the ip5 that many people are aware of.

I have 2 iPhone 5's in the house, and a 4s.

The first thing I noticed was, my 5 on a fast 32-34 Mbps wifi connection didn't score well like yours didn't. Anywhere from 1475 to my best of 2000, most were in the 1500 area, admittedly pretty crappy since the 5 is supposed to get closer to 2500. Here's the thing...

I turned wifi off and did the tests with my much slower att "4g" hspa connection (NOT LTE), which typically is about 4-5 Mbps, compared to my much faster 33 Mbps wifi connection.

Sure enough, the same phone scored 2500-2600 on my much slower 3G connection. Turn wifi back on, much worse scores, despite the fact that my wifi connection will consistently score 33-34 Mbps and 17-20 ms ping times.

I bet if you do the test again, but not with wifi, you'll get closer to 2500.

There's something wrong with wifi on many 5's, not all it seems but many, 6.0.1 didn't fix it. Some speculate its a bad batch of wifi chips that allow wifi to work, but not have the sort of throughput it should. Which is why there are many reports of very slow downloads over wifi, excessive youtube buffering where turning wifi off actually makes it faster, etc. there's a 150 PAGE thread on apples website forum about screwy wifi on the 5. And other smaller but similar threads there too, as well as several here.

This odd browsermark performance where a 33 Mbps wifi connection turns in a horrible score, but a far slower 5-6 Mbps 3G connection turns in a top notch score, is IMO another indication that there are issues with the 5's wifi, whether its hardware or software, I don't know.

To the OP, do a retest on a cellular connection, if your LTE is weak, turn it off and use good old hspa+, I did, and my score went from 1475 to 2600. Interesting...

Yup, you were right. Just did the test over cellular connection and I got a score of 2300. Definitely much better.

Beyond this test, I haven't had any issues with my WiFi, though. Not only does it do well on Speedtest, but I haven't experienced any slowdown as far as downloading apps and watching videos go, and as I mentioned browsing is very snappy. Not only that, but my iPhone clearly performs betters on my WiFi then it does on "4G" or a weak LTE signal. Not sure why it affects the BrowserMark test so dramatically.

Also, to the poster that says I manufactured an issue, you're right as well. But what can I say, I'm a worrier.

Anyways, thanks for the help, guys.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
Did test without clearing cache.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 152

indyzzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2010
In case anyone is wondering the 4S seems to score about 2200 on my home wifi (slow dsl service)

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Should I be worried
Only if you're fixated on benchmarks (same applies to any benchmarks/specs on any topic). Otherwise you'll know when to worry as you'll experience some problems with real world performance that matter to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.