Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I've written off the iPad for the last several years, and now I finally cracked and bought a 64 gig black wifi iPad 4.

So far I love it!

Out of the box I was impressed. The quality control on mine is excellent, fit and finish is great and there is virtually no backlight bleeding. The screen is definitely a bit warmer than my nice cool 4S screen (which I prefer to a warm screen), but that's alright. The screen quality is excellent. This is the first iDevice I've ever had where I didn't put the screen to full brightness.

Text is phenomenal.

I noticed pictures taken with an iPhone camera, or most pictures online for that matter actually don't look that good. I don't think this is an iPad problem, but the rest of the internet needing to "catch up" with Apple's display? Sometimes they actually look pixelated, or at best a hair blurry/soft. Maybe someone can chime in here.

I was really disappointed to see how few of my apps are designed for the iPad. Out of the 32 I have, only 10 are iPad compatible, and most of the major players I'd expect to be compatible aren't--Flickr, iWiki, Skype, Tetris, Angry Birds, etc. Lots of apps I would've expected aren't, but then again I suppose I got most of these before the retina iPad 3 came out so that probably explains it. That said some of the apps that are iPad compatible don't look quite as good as I expected either; a bit pixelated/soft, same as some online pictures. Maybe someone can chime in on this one too.

I also wish iTunes had more view options; not sure I like the way iTunes is laid out, or the lack of options to change it.

Still bummed there's no iPad youtube app, at least not yet.

Charges slower than expected, but that's due to the retina screen. Battery life seems great so far. Device overall feels snappy and well oiled. The A6X does it's job.

Overall though, iTunes and online pictures aside, I love it! It's a fantastic device that has instantly found a place in my hand on the couch!

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Sometimes there is separate app for the iPad as opposed to dul device app. Check with the app store. I would think the ones you say aren't compatable have iPad versions.

iHawaii

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Look for wikipanion in the App Store - It is designed for the iPad; may replace your iWiki. I do not endorse this app for profit. It is a free app and I got it today.

radioking

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
I'm disgruntled with my first experience. First one had backlight bleed and the second one was worse. I got my money back. I'm not sure if I want to keep trying to find a good one or not. Beyond the quality control issues, I loved it.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Yeah, I realize there is usually an iPad version of the app, just surprised most of them require additional payment. Oh well.

Now I wait for my $32 Power Support crystal film... Hope I don't mess it up for that price, ouch.

Joey51

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Try a refurb

RADIOKING- try a refurb 3

I went thru the screen lottery with my 2,3,and 4.
On launch day i ordered a mini,screen sucked for me with no retina.
I had sold my 3 like a dummy 2 weeks before ,so i sent mini back,
Ordered a refurb 3,and a 4.
Putting the 3 and 4 side by side,for what i use mostly for web,could not
Tell difference.
3 refurb screen was perfect,white whites,no yellow or blue or screen bleed.
4 had screen bleed,yellow tone-side by side 3 looked way better than 4.
Sent 4 back and saved 140 bucks.
Will wait for what hopefully is a re-design on the 5

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
I got an iPad 4 at launch and it fantastic. It has completely replaced my s*** HP laptop and is just so fast. Retina looks nice as well. I guess the logitech ultra-thin keyboard case has made the transition from laptop to tablet very easy. Its a great keyboard as well. I haven't had any quality issues in regards to yellow screen and battery issues. btw battery is very good, easily lasts a whole day until i get home no matter what i do. I do have one issue though which is a software issue on the movies app which is detailed in another thread by William G.

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
I got an iPad 4 at launch and it fantastic. It has completely replaced my s*** HP laptop and is just so fast. Retina looks nice as well. I guess the logitech ultra-thin keyboard case has made the transition from laptop to tablet very easy. Its a great keyboard as well. I haven't had any quality issues in regards to yellow screen and battery issues. btw battery is very good, easily lasts a whole day until i get home no matter what i do. I do have one issue though which is a software issue on the movies app which is detailed in another thread by William G.

Same here, it completely replaced my piece of junk HP laptop! Although I've had quite an adventure buying and returning multiple cases and a smart cover, I scored on a leather folio case with a detachable attachment for portrait or landscape stand capabilities and a slick looking stylus, both will arrive from Amazon by early next week. Looking forward to it!

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

Yeah, I realize there is usually an iPad version of the app, just surprised most of them require additional payment. Oh well.

Now I wait for my $32 Power Support crystal film... Hope I don't mess it up for that price, ouch.

Why wouldn't an iPad app have a cost separate from an iPhone one? They're not the same app.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
I resisted the temptation to buy an iPad until two weeks ago.

Bought my wife a mini (that was what she wanted, and she loves it) Treated myself to the 4. Now I'm wondering why I didn't do it before! These machines are great and complement my Macs to the point where I never need to be away from my data.. The build quality is great, the screen (on both the 4 and the mini) is beyond anything I've used before.

As with any machine, it is the Apps which make the difference. I'm not into games, but do have a reasonable music collection and many photos. I also use my machines for fairly heavy database work and web development. By using Dropbox and a good selection of Apps, I can now access and work on ALL my files from any machine at any time.

If I have a regret, it is more to do with the fact that I can't use iCloud to store and access all those files. (including ms office files)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.