Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Beamer is an app that sounds very interesting. The others? Not so much.

Beamer is better for desktops as all of the transcoding on-the-fly is done on the computer and not on the ATV. It made my Macbook quite toasty and gave the fans a high impact workout. Still, it seems to be the only workable solution for unsupported codecs.

Capo looks great, but I wonder how accurate it really is in tabbing and capturing chords. $50 doesn't sound a lot for what it is trying to do.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I already own RipIt - but it's a fantastic app!

RipIt + HandBrake + all the DVDs I own + 2TB disk = my video library, available at the touch of a remote.

I own RipIt as well. It's alright, but it's pretty crap when compared to a FREE Windows equivelent like DVD Decrypter.

That's one of the things I don't understand about the Mac application ecosystem. Why are there certain apps like DVD rippers that are completely free on Windows and have many features, and yet the exact same thing or less on the Mac seems to cost money.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
You are better off with RapidWeaver.
Dunno about that. If their website is anyhing to go by the output looks pretty crappy in IE8. Fine if you're only interested in sites that look good on a Mac or the browser bleedin' edge, but not so good otherwise IMO.
I already own RipIt - but it's a fantastic app!

RipIt + HandBrake + all the DVDs I own + 2TB disk = my video library, available at the touch of a remote.
So how does RipIt stack up against Handbrake?
I own RipIt as well. It's alright, but it's pretty crap when compared to a FREE Windows equivelent like DVD Decrypter.
Given I'm on a Mac, then FREE Windows equivalents are pretty much useless.

Like most of this bundle. I already own TTP, although I hardly use it TBH. RipIt might be of interest.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
That's one of the things I don't understand about the Mac application ecosystem. Why are there certain apps like DVD rippers that are completely free on Windows and have many features, and yet the exact same thing or less on the Mac seems to cost money.

For the same reason that so many people laud the fact that iPhone users are willing to pay for apps, while snidely pointing out that Android users are too cheap or too poor to pay for anything.

People who own Macs and iPhones are thought to have (a) more money, and are believed to be (b) more willing to pay for things than Windows and Android users. People are more likely to try and charge for things, at outrageous prices, on the Mac side. Why? Because they can.

You like being better than those other people, well, this is one consequence of that.

And for the record, DVDFab HD Decrypter is available for the Mac:

http://www.dvdfab.com/hd-decrypter-for-mac.htm

Last edited:

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
For the same reason that so many people laud the fact that iPhone users are willing to pay for apps, while snidely pointing out that Android users are too cheap or too poor to pay for anything.

People who own Macs and iPhones are thought to have (a) more money, and are believed to be (b) more willing to pay for things than Windows and Android users. People are more likely to try and charge for things, at outrageous prices, on the Mac side. Why? Because they can.

You like being better than those other people, well, this is one consequence of that.

And for the record, DVDFab HD Decrypter is available for the Mac:

http://www.dvdfab.com/hd-decrypter-for-mac.htm

Well I don't have the mentality that I'm better just because I use a Mac. I just use the computer that I like the most. I still have a Windows computer as well which I use all the time.

Anyway, I didn't know you could get DVDFab HD for free on the Mac.

*removes RipIt*

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Useless comment, if you don't like it don't buy.

CopyPaste for instance is an oldie and comes in handy many times.

Who are you to try and censor opinion? If you like it or not - discuss (Forum!!!!!!!)

This bundle blows in comparison to the parallels bundle seen previous.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Well I don't have the mentality that I'm better just because I use a Mac.

I wasn't saying that you do, but there are a lot of Apple customers with a superiority complex, and that feeds into a perception that we don't need or care about free or low-cost apps, because we've got the cash and the willingness to spend.

Having said that, there is a lot more free stuff on the Mac platform than people realize, you just have to look for it.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
You bought a Mac and an iPhone, didn't you? Seems strange to be so price sensitive now.

I cringe about people shelling out 2500 bucks for the iPhone (ATT plan included) and having the audacity to complain about 1 or 10 bucks price.

armaster

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
You bought a Mac and an iPhone, didn't you? Seems strange to be so price sensitive now.

He is price sensitive because he spent a lot of money on Mac and an iPhone.
Because it was tough for his purse, he cannot afford spending more.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
10 useless apps, that are, still, overpriced.

I can't speak for the other apps, but Fantastical really is a great addition to the standard Calendar app. It's been truly useful for me since it was released.

I'm not saying this bundle is great, just that at least one of the app is far from "useless" for some of us.

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
Has anyone used freeway? I have been waiting for a good iWeb replacement that allows for the same freedom. Rapidweaver seemed very confined to templates.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
To call these apps useless is pure ignorance. Have you (who state this) actually tried these? I mostly familiar with Fantastical and Capo. Fantastical is brilliant, can't recommend that one enough, if you have a job with many things, meetings etc. to remember. Much better than iCal.
Capo is great for learning songs, by (amongst other functions)slowing the audio down while not changing the pitch. This is of course available in various other powerful audio software programs, but if you don't have any of those programs, Capo is very nice indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.