Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esjdk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Hi guys!

I've just about managed to save up for a MacBook Air 13 inch with 8 GB of ram which I'll be ordering in just a few weeks.

I have, however, got a few questions before I make the switch from this crappy old Windows-laptop;

1. What Office program should I get? I use OneNote a lot and worry if there might be hiccups if I choose the Apple office software
  2. What case would you guys recommend?
  3. Are there any must-buy accessories when you buy your first MacBook?

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Hi guys!

I've just about managed to save up for a MacBook Air 13 inch with 8 GB of ram which I'll be ordering in just a few weeks.

I have, however, got a few questions before I make the switch from this crappy old Windows-laptop;

1. What Office program should I get? I use OneNote a lot and worry if there might be hiccups if I choose the Apple office software

Congrats on your soon to be purchase.

When I went all Mac years ago, both at home and work, I started using iWork and have had zero issues with compatibility for at least the last couple of years. I used to use google docs but have not been using it since Apple launched iCloud.

I'm case free but do use an Incipio sleeve. The MBA is great all by itself. I can't think of anything else you'd need.

esjdk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Thanks for your reply.

Would a time capsule be an idea or are they over the top for what I need?

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
Thanks for your reply.

It's convenient, but very expensive compared to other backup/network storage. If you don't need anything wireless you would save a lot of money buying a USB3.0 external hard drive of your choice, then setting it up with Time Machine or other backup software.

I recommend Crashplan for backup too. It's only a few £/$ a month and as its completely in the cloud you can restore stuff wherever you are, even if your MacBook and backups are stolen.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Thanks for your reply.

I didn't think about Time Capsule, but it is a very seamless piece for both backup and as a wifi router. I have been using one and love the fact that I don't have to think about it (which is why I forgot to mention it!).

It may be expensive but it does offer great wifi service and lots of storage space.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Hi guys!

As for the first question: there are some options here, but have in mind that none of them is as good as Microsoft Office for Windows. If there is one thing that Microsoft has done right, it's Microsoft Office. For Windows. If you make the switch to a Mac, however, there are some options:

(a) Apple iWork: Not the real deal, but very easy and intuitive to use, it may fare even better than Microsoft Office at the hands of beginners.

(b) Microsoft Office for Mac: Yes, there is Microsoft Office for Mac, and it has (nearly) all the features of Office for Windows, although it is not as streamlined.

(c) Windows and Microsoft Office: You may install Windows using Bootcamp or in a virtual machine and run Microsoft Office for Windows.

(d) OpenOffice, LibreOffice or NeoOffice: You may want to try one of these open-source alternatives. OpenOffice and LibreOffice are free. They are not as polished as Microsoft Office, but, as they are free, you may wish to install them anyway.

Note that OneNote is not included in Office for Mac, and there is no similar in iWork. However, there are other good programs that may replace OneNote, such as Evernote, OmniOutliner or Circus Ponies Notebook, depending on what you use OneNote for.

littfam

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
1. Office for mac. Very seamless and mac friendly IMO.

2. I like incase sleeve. Tight at first, but will loosen to perfect fit with time.

3. Extra Charge cord. Do yourself a favor and just get one! You'll never regret it!

4. Get into iCloud and like it and use it.

4. Absolutely "DO NOT" bootcamp or VM Windows on your machine for now. You'll be tempted to revert to old habits, and be temped to navigate away from OSX, which you need to learn and become "one" with!

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Read the thread, "How much money have you spent on accessories since getting a Mac." :)

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
TimeCapsule=Worth it. Really seamless for both the wifi and the backups.

MS Office for Mac: Get it. You'll hate it, but if you share programs with anyone else... The student version is only about $100, and usually much cheaper on Black Friday.

Case: Depends on what you like. My wife has a leather case on her air. Looks like business, but when she dropped it, dinged a corner. I would find a style you like and once again do the Black Fryday thing. Consider if you need something that will prevent it sliding on surfaces. Here is her case:

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-3121_7-10008654-3.html

If you want something unique, this case is top notch. My son has it on his Macbook Pro 15in, but we had to really look to find it because it isn't made anymore.
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-3121_7-10008654-6.html

Enjoy your Air! :D

littfam

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
TimeCapsule=Worth it. Really seamless for both the wifi and the backups.

MS Office for Mac: Get it. You'll hate it, but if you share programs with anyone else... The student version is only about $100, and usually much cheaper on Black Friday.

Case: Depends on what you like. My wife has a leather case on her air. Looks like business, but when she dropped it, dinged a corner. I would find a style you like and once again do the Black Fryday thing. Consider if you need something that will prevent it sliding on surfaces. Here is her case:

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-3121_7-10008654-3.html

If you want something unique, this case is top notch. My son has it on his Macbook Pro 15in, but we had to really look to find it because it isn't made anymore.
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-3121_7-10008654-6.html

Enjoy your Air! :D

Agreed. Get a time capsule or an airport extreme.

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
You made the right choice. I would suggest getting a USB 3.0 Hard drive and just a sleeve such as the Incipio or Samsonite Sleeves. Even though Samsonite is known for their luggages, their sleeves are also high quality with an extremely soft interior that protects your MacBook Air. Try to stay away from cases as they might spoil the hinge as the heavy weight will stress out the hinge soon wearing it off. It also adds a lot of weight, which defeats the purpose of a portable Air. I bought a Speck case and only used it once, hated it.

esjdk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
What an amazing feeling coming back to this thread and seeing all these cool replies.

Im so excited for this purchase. :cool:

If I go down the NAS-route, will I be able to stream my music from there onto my MacBook, iPhone and iPad?

Sorry for jumping around subjects here.

You guys rock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.