Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stinger123

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Hello all.

I just got my iPad Mini, and I love it! Own retina products, but this is amazing. GET IT - trust me.

One weird thing though. The iPad was brand spanking new, box factory sealed, iPad wraped and untouched etc.
But on the back of the iPad (under the plastic wrapper) just above the apple logo was a blue'ish sticker about 2" x ,5" saying
" M 6 B N" (might have had a character more)

After peeling it off it left some sticky residue that had to be cleaned with alkohol.

I've never seen this before on Apple products. Im thinking this might be the first or last unit from a certain batch, or a quality control sample or something.

The iPad is flawless. Was charged to 90% and keeps battery forever!

What do you guys think?

Thanks

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Or possibly one that was sporadically pulled out of the factory line and tested / passed / approved and then repackaged.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Hello all.

I just got my iPad Mini, and I love it! Own retina products, but this is amazing. GET IT - trust me.

One weird thing though. The iPad was brand spanking new, box factory sealed, iPad wraped and untouched etc.
But on the back of the iPad (under the plastic wrapper) just above the apple logo was a blue'ish sticker about 2" x ,5" saying
" M 6 B N" (might have had a character more)

After peeling it off it left some sticky residue that had to be cleaned with alkohol.

I've never seen this before on Apple products. Im thinking this might be the first or last unit from a certain batch, or a quality control sample or something.

The iPad is flawless. Was charged to 90% and keeps battery forever!

What do you guys think?

Thanks

At a guess, I'd say it was an end of production run QC sticker...As you say the device is perfect, so you don't need to worry about it.

Stinger123

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Well, Im not really thinking about returning it. It works great and was as mentioned brand new and everything was factory sealed. So the sticker must have come on in China.

Just curious. Bought it from a large department store and got the very last black 16gb from the warehouse.

Im very pleased it's just a fun fact. Still thinking this might have been a quality controll sample. Perhaps they pull every 100 or 1000 iPad from the line and check the quality before a new batch ship out.

Just called Apple and they looked it up and confirmed that it was only was registred to my name. Their guess was that it was a QC model. So I guess my model has been under the loupe and is flawless.

Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Well, I not really thinking about returning it. It works great and was as mentioned brand new and everything was factory sealed. So the sticker must have come on in China.

Just curious. Bought it from a large department store and got the very last black 16gb from the warehouse.

Im very pleased it's just a fun fact. Still thinking this might have been a quality controll sample. Perhaps they pull every 100 or 1000 iPad from the line and check the quality before a new batch shipa out.

They do exactly that...They have a section at the end of each line where units that have been subjected to thorough QC checks wind up...Probably ensured you got a top notch device.

layziegtp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
In most factories, every item shipped should have to pass a FINAL inspection prior to being boxed up. It's surprising, but I've worked in final QC before, and you'd be surprised how easy it is to miss something when you stare at the same object for 10-12 hours a day.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
The sticker means you won the last golden invitation to Apple Headquarters in Palo Alto! You must email Tim Cook with the sticker code asap! You get to sit on his lap...:rolleyes:

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
The sticker means you won the last golden invitation to Apple Headquarters in Palo Alto! You must email Tim Cook with the sticker code asap! You get to sit on his lap...:rolleyes:

That would be a true golden ticket seeing as how Apple's Headquarters is in Cupertino!

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
That sticker is from a Chinese factory worker trying to make contact with you , he wants to come to America

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012

that would be sooo cool. they should actually do that. would really boost sales even more hahah

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
in honesty... i would be ecstatic if i had that sticker. i mean who has that QC (if it is quality control sticker) on their ipads? only a few people will so consider urself lucky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.