Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use Passbook Regularly?

• Yes

Votes: 52 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 164 75.9%

• Total voters

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I still don't even get what the hell it is or how it even works. No matter where I look I can't get a clear explanation. How the heck do I use it?

There's no way you've looked and not gotten a clear explanation; however, I'll tell you what I see it as. For me, passbook was to replace an app called KeyRing. That is the place where I keep all store cards so I don't have to carry them around in my wallet or on an actual keyring. Where passbook is supposed to prevail is with other things like movie tickets, concert tickets, and plan tickets. The issue though is that there aren't enough people on board with this "tech" to read passbook.

I created a PetsMart card with it using an online passbook card generator and it worked perfectly. I downloaded the Walgreens app and got my passbook rewards card in there so each time i'm near a certain Walgreens (that I designated) I get a popup that tells me I'm nearby or some **** like that.

Passbook isn't what it should be yet but if you really want to see how well it can work then I think the best example you have today short of flying United and using it for a boarding pass, would be to go to Starbucks and use it.

Eventually it can be great unless it dies a sudden death like Ping.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Right now I find it pretty pointless, but I could see it being very usefull eventually if any more of the thousands of stores besides Walgreens that have rewards cards would jump on board.
Some that come to mind that I would like to see...
Dick's Sporting Goods
Subway
Ace Hardware
Petsmart
Best Buy Rewards Zone
TCBY
Finish Line

And the gift card potential is endless! Imagine not having to carry around and remember all of those gift/reward cards when you go out.

marcperrot

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
Canada
I haven't used it for anything. I don't visit Starbucks often, and the next time I fly Air Canada will be in April, so I'll try it then. I don't think there's really much else in Canada to use it for right now. It definitely has potential, companies just need to embrace it.

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
Is passsource reliable?

I don't think they are part of Apple, so is there any harm in entering personal information to create them?

No,they are not part of apple.
I use the best buy pass, apart from the name, reward card # etc .. I don't enter any bank or sensitive information in the pass content.

But I don't hear anything negative about the website "passsource".
Zdnet and 9 to 5 review the website.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/businesses-can-create-passes-for-ios-6-passbook-today/13204

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/25/start-using-passbook-on-ios-6-with-a-few-simple-steps/

Last edited:

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I love it! Use Starbucks daily. Also use Walgreens and Fandango. Starbucks is awesome because I have 3 of our local shops that I frequent favorited and when I pull in the parking lot it pops up on my lock screen. Don't have to fumble through my wallet for my card, just grab the phone and go. Only used Fandango twice but it worked flawlessly and the Walgreens reward card is handy.

I do with they would add more to it, it has a lot more potential. I'd like to see Best Buy Rewards, CVS, and the ability to put in your own info. The card I use most is my local grocery store's rewards card and it won't work with any of the apps out there. Lots and lots of potential, just hope it's opened up! For now, I enjoy being able to use it where I do.

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
Used it most at starbucks. Also used twice on a rountrip flight with AA to HNL.

RabbitLuvr

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Kansas City
I could use it at Starbucks, but it's not really quicker for me than just using my sbux card or app. I've got my Sephora card on it, but I go there maybe once a month, tops, and last time I was there their scanners didn't work with it. Shrug.

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Yes in Walgreens, I don't like to carry the rewards card.

I just give then my phone number. No card needed. It's actually faster than pulling up on my phone. Don't get me wrong.. I use Passbook. Just find it easier to just give the cashier my number.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yes everyday.

Starbucks, Walgreens, Target, AMC Stubs, Best Buy

I have the Amex Passbook and it shows the most recent transaction and how much I spent this billing cycle.

Fandango for movie tickets.

United uses mobile boarding passes and yes I've used it for flying as well (if you're wondering how the TSA people deal with this: show ID, wave iPhone under the 2D scanner).

tys

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I used it twice on United Airlines, although I could've done the same thing from United's app already. I have my Starbucks card loaded up, but I haven't used it yet. I'd gladly give up Passbook to get my iOS 5 maps back!
I do like the way it "shreds" the document when you're done with it, though :)

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Everyday for Starbucks the feeling is amazing scanning your phone to buy products! I wish more UK retailers start using it soon!

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
Here's what I have in my Passbook:

1. Target mobile coupon (I've actually used them twice already.)
2. BillGuard (a 3rd party Passbook add-on that monitors my bank account)
3. Best Buy reward zone card (created in PassSource)
4. Barnes & Noble coupon from Coupons.com
5. CVS ExtraCare card (also from PassSource)
6. Foot Locker gift card (transferred from Gyft)
7. Staples rewards card (PassSource)
8. Starbucks Card (I use this regularly; I love the GPS functionality.)
9. Walgreens balance rewards card (I haven't actually used this yet.)

Honestly, my only gripe about PassBook so far is that there is no way to order the items in there except by the default last-in gets put on top. I really want to order them alphabetically, but can't yet (I hope.).

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
I use it all the time at Starbucks. Swipe in the lockscreen-pay-turn off.

If I use the other apps that is supported I will use it more.

Support for Nectar in UK will be huge!

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I use it all the time at Starbucks. Swipe in the lockscreen-pay-turn off.

If I use the other apps that is supported I will use it more.

Support for Nectar in UK will be huge!

But it isn't coming - the current Nectar app even has a specific section in it explaining they have no intention of introducing a barcode to be scanned within the app itself as their main retailers' barcode scanners aren't capable of reading it from the iPhone screen.

Given that there's not much chance of implementing Passbook functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.