Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lancia832

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Hello! I just want to vent against Apple , placing the headphones jack on the bottom , after having the iphone 5 for one month now like my title said i just got fedup with the headphones always sticking in my palm when i am listening to
whatever and trying to type something at the same time and sold it .
I know i am not the only one feeling this way , and the race to the " im the thinnest phone in the world " claim in detriment of the battery didnt help how i felt about the iphone5 either ,so i sold it and went back to my trusty iphone 4S.

Dont get me wrong , i have everithing Apple in the electronics dept. but this idiot placement in my view of the headphones jack made me sell my iphone 5 , and the size didnt feel so good in my hand either , compared to the iphone 4S .

In my case , i was so sick of that placement of the headphones jack that i will not buy another new iphone till they come back to ( normal in my view ) placement on top of the jack , ill stick with my trusty iphone 4S , the speed was good with the 5 dont get me wrong but the battery life nothing to write home about , in my case i tried everithing possible posted on this site and still didnt get to the battery life of the other posters even with a lot less use over the course of a day.

So i went back to the all day battery life ,the confortable to hold , and normal headphone placement of my iphone 4s .
Thats all folks , i am done with my rant , fell free to add to it if you had the same experience.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Well all the recent iPods (save for the aging classic) has had their headphone jack on the bottom for quite some time.

I think the change is welcome as now I don't have to deal with have a dock cord poking out from one side and the headphone poking out from the other.

However I usually drop my phone in my pocket right side up, so now I have to drop it in upside down when I have a headphone plugged in.

Bakakage

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
I love the change, pocketing it while listening is much more easier and makes more sense. Plus the top of the phone looks a lot nicer and clean.

ItsWelshy

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2012
I have always put my phone in my pocket upside down, its then in the correct position when you pull it out.

I'm a big fan of the socket change, when you make Facetime calls, you dont have to hold the cable round the back of the phone.

I hope they keep the socket at the bottom

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I agree, all cords on one end is more convenient. Also when you're listening to music the cord spot is more convenient when youre pulling it out your pocket while listening to music.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
samsung-apple-ad.jpg

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
They may have placed it on the bottom for some arrangement/fit reasons. It may not have worked out on top with the iPhone 5's "redesign" and getting thinner.

On the bright side, they may place the jack back on top maybe with the next "redesign" or next, next "redesign". Although it is subjective, it probably looks better (functionality aside) on top so that the bottom looks much more symmetrical. And Apple is well-known for their symmetrical aspects.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
You do know that you can turn the phone around and the screen will be in the right position... :rolleyes:

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Another solution

In my experience the MW600 BT headset from SE is IMO of high quality esp. for music but also works well for calls, and it can be managed without touching the iPhone 5. It has even a built-in FM radio. This rather inexpensive headset is probably still in the stores.

Last edited:

lancia832

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Re sold iphone 5 because headphones jack

Have any of you guys tryed typing something , while listening to the iphone5 , how does the cord on the bottom of your palm feel ,thats what i am talking about , when i was holding in my palm while surfing the web and listening to music the cord was bumping against my pinky finger and that was what was bothering me so much about the cord on the bottom setup.

Also for itsmemuffins , did you try to actualy do that , because i had try that and the screen didnt change the orientation uphside down , or i had a defective iphone 5 , it doesnt do that on my iphone 4s either , i dont know what you talking about , its a hidden setting or something to do that? to turn the screen upside down holding the phone vertical would have solved the problem for me , and i would have never sold it , in fact i was thinking of sugesting to one of the cydia developers to just create such an app ,i would pay for one like that to turn the orientation of the screen of the iphone 5 upside down.

Thank you ! all for your replys but it didnt work for me like that so ill just use my iphone 4s till they change ,if they do the headphone jack again.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Have any of you guys tryed typing something , while listening to the iphone5 , how does the cord on the bottom of your palm feel ,thats what i am talking about , when i was holding in my palm while surfing the web and listening to music the cord was bumping against my pinky finger and that was what was bothering me so much about the cord on the bottom setup.

Also for itsmemuffins , did you try to actualy do that , because i had try that and the screen didnt change the orientation uphside down , or i had a defective iphone 5 , it doesnt do that on my iphone 4s either , i dont know what you talking about , its a hidden setting or something to do that? to turn the screen upside down holding the phone vertical would have solved the problem for me , and i would have never sold it , in fact i was thinking of sugesting to one of the cydia developers to just create such an app ,i would pay for one like that to turn the orientation of the screen of the iphone 5 upside down.

Thank you ! all for your replys but it didnt work for me like that so ill just use my iphone 4s till they change ,if they do the headphone jack again.
so basically you look past all of the phones features and differences because the headphone jack isn't on the top? Did it really bother you that much? Were you typing essays or something.

Tulsa

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010

Bluetooth - no cords...

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
You do know that you can turn the phone around and the screen will be in the right position... :rolleyes:

OMFG THIS! OP are you being serious?

From your next post it appears you are. OP.... let me do this without getting in trouble.... It'll be tough because my 7 year old can figure this one out but I'll try. Take your 4s.... put it in your hand with your headphones..... now turn it! Now turn it back!! See, you can put the headphone jack on either side.... just like you can with the i5. You see that... do you?

lancia832

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Let me try to explain better afdoc , try this for one hand operation i mean , iphone in a vertical position meaning facetime camera up right , now ,try typing with the right hand , i am right handed , by keping the iphone in your palm ,cradeling it your pinky finger will just cradel the botom left corner where the jack is now ,you get it now , so like Steve said i know , iknow ,just dont hold it like that , but that was the most confortable position to hold it when the jack was on top ,and no i never owned any new ipods ,only iphones from the aluminum first gen till the iphone 5 .
My first ipod that i had if you guys still remember was the 20 gb chunky one firewire charger , with the headphones jack on top ,so yes that was a huge change for me and could not get over it ,so i went back to my trusty old iphone 4s .
Thank you ! For your understanding.

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
Let me try to explain better afdoc , try this for one hand operation i mean , iphone in a vertical position meaning facetime camera up right , now ,try typing with the right hand , i am right handed , by keping the iphone in your palm ,cradeling it your pinky finger will just cradel the botom left corner where the jack is now ,you get it now , so like Steve said i know , iknow ,just dont hold it like that , but that was the most confortable position to hold it when the jack was on top ,and no i never owned any new ipods ,only iphones from the aluminum first gen till the iphone 5 .
My first ipod that i had if you guys still remember was the 20 gb chunky one firewire charger , with the headphones jack on top ,so yes that was a huge change for me and could not get over it ,so i went back to my trusty old iphone 4s .
Thank you ! For your understanding.

1. Learn how to end a sentence.

2. You sold your phone because of that? Really?

3. REALLY?

lancia832

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
One more thing , by turning the iphone 5 in order to sove my jack problem ,i mean completely turning it upside down , so for example the facetime camera wil be down and the iphone 5 headphones cord will be up , so the screen orientation will never go around 360 degrees ,one ful turn i mean for , afdoc , and i would have payed for any app that would have given me the posibility to rotate the screen 360 degrees .
Maybe somebody will come up with an app like that in a jailbroken phone .

Last edited:

lancia832

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Yes! man i really sold my iphone 5 because of the headphones jack placement and many other little annoyances like horrendous battery life , and i have tried everything from all the other posters sugested ,maybe my phone was one of the first with a bad battery , i dont know.

And to the horror of the crowd that wants the next iphone as thin as a piece of paper and with the same weight as a sheet of paper oh ! how can i say that , not enough weight in your hand to feel like something well made - annoyance , and for the gods sake Apple , why you could have not kept the same thickness as iphone 4s and added a thicker battery to get you trough a couple of days of Lte, i mean in my opinion iphone 4 feels perfect in your hand meaning weight and thickness of it.

The speed i liked when At&T was providing it , but for speed i already have my ipad Lte, and 4s is not that bad either.

So that's all folks! all my annoyances with the iphone 5 , which resulted in selling it and waiting for the next big iphone from Apple , and no i am not a troll , thats just my opinion and you can have a diferent one too thats the beauty of our great country.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.