Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
The Kickstarter link below is for a dock built with a Lightning connector built in. Unlike the Elevation dock, which has a Lightning fix for the old 30 pin connector, this dock is built with a Lightning connector. It looks very solid, as it is made of steel.

If I understand correctly, the developers are working to get Apple's imprimatur making it an Apple approved dock.

Full Disclosure: I have made a contribution to the project. However, I am not shilling for these guys...I have supplied the link because there has been extensive discussion regarding the absence of an Apple produced, or approved, dock.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dockplus/charging-dock-for-iphone-5?ref=live

(Mods: Apologies if this is in the wrong Forum. Please move it if necessary.)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
One of the reasons I didn't upgrade. When this comes out I'll be sure to get it.

You might think about making a contribution on Kickstarter. Usually if you pledge on that site you can buy the item for less than it would cost when it goes retail.

markus843

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2012
You might think about making a contribution on Kickstarter. Usually if you pledge on that site you can buy the item for less than it would cost when it goes retail.

Thinking of the $59 option, I would get the dock and a charging cable.. But I'm broke.. :rolleyes:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
JBL have come out with new lightning docks too...Personally I just don't need one anymore. Once in a blue moon I need to connect to my iMac...I guess if people want sound docks then that's different, but with Airplay, this too would seem redundant.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
JBL have come out with new lightning docks too...Personally I just don't need one anymore. Once in a blue moon I need to connect to my iMac...I guess if people want sound docks then that's different, but with Airplay, this too would seem redundant.

This is a totally simple dock. It does nothing but hold the device (in my case iPhone and iPad) and charge it. For those who might need a stand, this is incredibly solid. I don't need a stand, but when I charge my devices, it's a good place to do it and still have visual access to the device.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
This is a totally simple dock. It does nothing but hold the device (in my case iPhone and iPad) and charge it. For those who might need a stand, this is incredibly solid. I don't need a stand, but when I charge my devices, it's a good place to do it and still have visual access to the device.

Aah, you mean your Just-Mobile Lounge stand? The one somebody tested first before you bought it...?:D

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

Looks pretty nifty, I will like to consider it for the iPad mini, and 5th gen iPod touch. Funny how things turn up when you happen to be pondering the general idea...

Tonight earlier I was watching a music video on an older iPod in the dock that came with the Apple A/V kit. It's the dock that has an I/R port in front. I still use that dock pretty often (usually without bothering with its remote) when I just want something to support an iPod I'm using for some music video or TV show etc. Charge-and-watch is my mode for some of those older iPods since some of them don't have fabulous battery life any more, but not bad enough to consider replacement program.

So right before supper I was wondering what I'll do for the equivalent to support stuff like my iPad mini and 5th gen iPod touch. I charge them ok with the USB-lightning cable and appropriate power cube, but I don't have anything like a dock or stand for the 5th gen especially. I have one of those little no-cable 30pin-lightning adapters for speakerdocks that I do use with the new nano. I wouldn't trust the 5th gen's weight not to mess it up, though, I think. Since they're not cheap I don't feel like experimenting.

So I went to make supper, came back, popped into MacRumors for a cruise and bumped into this thing. Thanks for the link :)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Looks pretty nifty, I will like to consider it for the iPad mini, and 5th gen iPod touch. Funny how things turn up when you happen to be pondering the general idea...

Tonight earlier I was watching a music video on an older iPod in the dock that came with the Apple A/V kit. It's the dock that has an I/R port in front. I still use that dock pretty often (usually without bothering with its remote) when I just want something to support an iPod I'm using for some music video or TV show etc. Charge-and-watch is my mode for some of those older iPods since some of them don't have fabulous battery life any more, but not bad enough to consider replacement program.

So right before supper I was wondering what I'll do for the equivalent to support stuff like my iPad mini and 5th gen iPod touch. I charge them ok with the USB-lightning cable and appropriate power cube, but I don't have anything like a dock or stand for the 5th gen especially. I have one of those little no-cable 30pin-lightning adapters for speakerdocks that I do use with the new nano. I wouldn't trust the 5th gen's weight not to mess it up, though, I think. Since they're not cheap I don't feel like experimenting.

So I went to make supper, came back, popped into MacRumors for a cruise and bumped into this thing. Thanks for the link :)

Glad to be of help. It looks like they're going to make their goal, so if you sponsored them you'll get your stand. Some people don't like the fact that it is just a stand and a charger, but for me, and you, that's just fine.

If you watched the videos, it looks like the stand is extremely solid, and allows for inputting to whatever device it holds without tipping over, or having to hold it when putting the device on and off the stand.

I hope it meets your needs...:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.