Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
I've been doing nothing but playing with the iPad mini since I got the thing yesterday. Definitely 100% new toy syndrome right now but I can definitely see this thing getting way more use than my iPad 4, but in a different way. It's way more mobile/less conspicuous to whip out at a coffee shop, easier to shove into a bag, and perfect to do basic and passive computing like web browsing/magazine and news reading/checking and writing email, word processing, home entertainment w/apple tv, etc. Plus, my 4 is wifi only and this thing has a data plan so I can use it as a giant car GPS, and also not be tied down to finding wifi whenever I want to do something that requires it.

I also just upgraded my iPad 3 to the new one for about $100 net incremental spend, and I love that as well. I'm pretty sure I'll mostly use that for all of my photo enhancing/mild video processing and editing/using it as an extra screen/watching hd video/etc.

If I HAD to choose between the 2 I'd likely stick with the 4 and upgrade to a data plan version because its clearly the better device and can do EVERYTHING i just listed above, but I REALLY dislike taking my 4 outside of the house for fear of breaking it, feeling silly using it at a coffee place, or paranoid I'm gonna get held up.
I don't get that vibe with this at all.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
There isn't anything at all wrong with the iPad mini screen.

No, the screen itself is absolutely ok, but compared with the iPad 3 screen is not so good ....

I can't see any reasons to keep both. You just have to choose what size fits your needs.
In my opinion for "indoor use" (at home or hotel) the iPad 3 or 4 are far superior than the Mini.
If you need portability then the Mini is the best choice.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Don't worry, the president has that covered.

True, and you thought Apple was expensive.

People are in for the shock of their lives. There is no such thing as a free ride. Its only a ruse that millions were suckers for.

Cash is king. You either have it or you don't.

What a wakeup call 2013 is going to be. :eek:

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Frankly I can't see a good reason to keep both.
Choose whatever fits your needs and sell the other ...

I will probably end doing that.

Since the iPad mini is 64gb and the iPad 3 just 16gb, I'll most likely stick with the mini. If I had actually bought the 3 it would have been more than 16, but since I won it at a raffle at work, can't complain. I had an iPad 1 that was 32gb.

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
Since I bought my iPad mini a few days ago, I have not even turned on my iPad 3. I just find using the iPad mini a much better experience. At first I wasn't going to sell the iPad 3, but now seriously considering it.

Like me, you should get the iPod touch 5 too. Since getting the new touch I haven't touch either the iPad 3 and iPad mini too. :)

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Since I bought my iPad mini a few days ago, I have not even turned on my iPad 3. I just find using the iPad mini a much better experience. At first I wasn't going to sell the iPad 3, but now seriously considering it.

Thats because Ipad 3 is the worst of all Ipad. Why do you think Apple discontinued and took it out of Apple store after 6 months.

jsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010

Hate to see something go to waste....how's $150 shipped sound? PP loaded and ready.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.