Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
For the sake of keeping information related to my various goods on easy reach (serial numbers, receipt scans, warranty lengths, etc.), I would like to create a database. The first app that came to mind was AppleWorks from *insert deity* knows how years ago, but obviously that's just too old now.

I like how Bento has an OS X and iOS equivalent app, but are there any other database apps not necessarily on the Mac App Store that you would like to recommend?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Bento is the really the only product I'm aware of for simple database needs. FileMaker Pro which is very powerful, flexible and is cross platform can suit people's needs but it takes more work to set up, where as bento is up in running in minutes.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I really like DevonThink (it was a bit of a learning curve, though). They have an iPad version, but it's very limited compared to the desktop equivalent.

Efrem

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
FileMaker Pro is the engine behind Bento. Check out what you can do with Bento and see if it's enough. (I suspect it will be.) You can always go to the full package if you need to do more, want to develop your own database apps from scratch, or are curious about how these things work inside.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I really like DevonThink (it was a bit of a learning curve, though). They have an iPad version, but it's very limited compared to the desktop equivalent.

Interesting, I'm going to check them out. I use Bento to keep my karate notes but find it a bit limiting in some areas. One plus is that Bento syncs with its iPad version, but printing in Bento is rather poor.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think Bento is still the best fit of all the suggestions given so far.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Interesting, I'm going to check them out. I use Bento to keep my karate notes but find it a bit limiting in some areas. One plus is that Bento syncs with its iPad version, but printing in Bento is rather poor.

Yes, sync in DT is a bit cumbersome. I don't really mind because it's one of the few apps that I don't feel a great need to sync to my iPad with my current use pattern. The mac version is really powerful, though, but it might be overkill for some.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Search for something called "iData".

Very, very basic, but within its limitations, it's fast and functional.

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
I use 1Password for saving serial numbers

Evernote would work well as good receipt repository - just snap a picture of it. EN will also OCR the picture and make it searchable, which would come in handy if you have a lot of paperwork to save.

I track warranty periods in Omnifocus; just create an OF task to remind yourself to review warranty-covered items X months before expiration. I guess you could do this in Calendar as well.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I track warranty periods in Omnifocus; just create an OF task to remind yourself to review warranty-covered items X months before expiration. I guess you could do this in Calendar as well.

That's a great tip, thanks!

steveoc

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Adirondacks NY
Consider Tap Forms HD. Very simple and straight forward, but quite flexible. They have versions that work with MacOS and iOS. The syncing between devices works well.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
For a free full database I would look into Base that is included in open office but I think jsgreen's post above hit the nail when it comes to good programs.

You can also check out some posts on macstories.net on paperless.

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
For the sake of keeping information related to my various goods on easy reach (serial numbers, receipt scans, warranty lengths, etc.), I would like to create a database.

I use DevonThink for that. No need to create a fancy database, just toss stuff in. Web receipts go in as PDF. Paper receipts are scanned/OCR'd. I put it all in a database called Personal. DT has powerful search capabilities, so no need to do more. I have other DT databases for other topics, e.g., research. I also have the Fujitsu ScanSnap 1500M for scanning, but an all in one printer/scanner works fine to.

FYI--The ScanSnap is amazing. I held off because it's costly, but it is worth every penny if you have lots of paper you want to turn into text-searchable documents, and it works extremely well with DT.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I use 1Password for saving serial numbers

Evernote would work well as good receipt repository - just snap a picture of it. EN will also OCR the picture and make it searchable, which would come in handy if you have a lot of paperwork to save.

I did not realize Omnifocus could be used in that manner...wow.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I use DevonThink for that. No need to create a fancy database, just toss stuff in. Web receipts go in as PDF. Paper receipts are scanned/OCR'd. I put it all in a database called Personal. DT has powerful search capabilities, so no need to do more. I have other DT databases for other topics, e.g., research. I also have the Fujitsu ScanSnap 1500M for scanning, but an all in one printer/scanner works fine to.

FYI--The ScanSnap is amazing. I held off because it's costly, but it is worth every penny if you have lots of paper you want to turn into text-searchable documents, and it works extremely well with DT.

+1 for DevonThink. DT + Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M is a fantastic combination. Every non-structured piece of data (electronic or paper) goes into DevonThink.

We do use other programs for structured data... ex: iTunes for music; Aperture for photos; etc. However... everything unstructured goes into DevonThink.

It is expensive... but probably the very best available.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.