Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Like with anything you will have certain units that are not within the control charts and become outliers. This can happen at any point in the life cycle of a product, such is quality. However, Apple is pretty good with building their products with high tolerance.

The average failure rate for Apple products is around 17% (this number is most likely skewed but gives some sort of a figure)...only Apple would know the true defect rate

As for those outliers...warranty.

I tried to purchase a Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM 27-inch monitor this year as soon as it was available. The one that turned up had terrible back light bleeding and poor panel uniformity. That was a screen that was at first revision. I have bought other screens which have not lived up to expectations. Two lg displays that I tried out and returned also. One that had many dead pixels and the other had severe tinting issues green to red. My u2711 has been with me the whole time but that is not perfect either. I can live with it but I expect more from a screen, hence why the new iMac is so attractive.

These displays I mentioned above were both high end IPS monitors and both had serious flaws. I don't want to be buying an iMac only to find out it is going back because the screen dose not live up to my expectations. If I can see any early flaws in the new iMac the screen will be the reason for return, and given the problems they have been having with them it may be very likely the case?

I really hope Apple does just not throw products out not ready for market.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I'm starting to lean towards the 27" again. Now that November is over halfway over, December doesn't seem that far away.

You could still be talking about a 4-5 week difference. I certainly don't expect 21" on Nov 27 and 27" on Dec 4. There'd be little point in not releasing them simultaneously if they could get them a week apart.

Still I recommend you buy the computer that suits your needs, wants, and budget, not the one that happens to be on the shelf.

Rangerover

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
New here. Just made a call with Apple NL and Apple Store Amsterdam. The last one confirmed there will be a delivery of 21.5 iMacs this week, could be everyday. I'm hoping for tomorrow. Apple rep said that could happen. Prepare guys!

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I wonder if we'll be able to preorder the 27" when the 21" is released.

"our sources say that there is a high chance that they will be available to order from Apple’s online store at the same time, or around the same time, as the 21.5-inch models."
;)

Haugiz

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010

"our sources say that there is a high chance that they will be available to order from Apple’s online store at the same time, or around the same time, as the 21.5-inch models."
;)

Yeah, I should slow down my reading until I learn it properly.. Thanks ;)

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Also, the iMacs have been listed for having a discount on black Friday. Considering that Apple have taken iMacs off the store until the new ones are out, maybe we will see the 21.5 this week? Tomorrow? Who knows.

----------

I wouldn't be surprised if pre-orders for both models started this Friday:
Apple Posts Black Friday 'One-Day Shopping Event' Teaser

Just seen your post after I posted mine, I really do hope pre-orders for the 27 start this week.

I am gonna throw my prediction out there now, I think we will at least see availability or pre-orders for the 21.5" iMac tomorrow!

81Steven

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2011
Also, the iMacs have been listed for having a discount on black Friday. Considering that Apple have taken iMacs off the store until the new ones are out, maybe we will see the 21.5 this week? Tomorrow? Who knows.

----------

Just seen your post after I posted mine, I really do hope pre-orders for the 27 start this week.

I am gonna throw my prediction out there now, I think we will at least see availability or pre-orders for the 21.5" iMac tomorrow!

I don't see iMac listed in black friday discount page...

jornjur

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
help

Do you quys know, what would happen if we order on tuesday our new imac, and on friday there will be black friday sales can we then still get the discount?

Phx08

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
I'm sure all of the students on here already know this. But you get around $200 off when you prove you are a student or a teacher plus some other stuff...Just wanted to share.

naktak

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
B-B-B-But waaaaait ! What about all the gnashing teeth and hair pulling???? Isn't this still all Tim Cook's fault?!?!?

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
I went to http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/findyourschool selected my school and the iMacs appear $50 cheaper. Am I missing something?

That's totally irrelevant to the guy's question and the rest of the thread.

I don't know how it works in the US, but in the UK we get 'further education', which gives you something like £70 off, then you get 'higher education', where you need to be on campus to access it, and gives you something like £130 off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.