Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

icons1.jpg
Earlier this month, MacRumors had reported that early logs have indicated that Apple is already testing early builds of OS X 10.9.

With OS X 10.9, Apple appears to be continuing the theme of bringing iOS features into OS X. According to 9to5Mac, early builds are showing that both Siri and Maps are being integrated into the newest version of the Mac operating system.
Early builds in testing of the next-generation Mac operating system, OS X 10.9, point to Siri and Maps integration coming to Mac computers next year, according to our reliable sources.
Apple already offers Dictation and Text-to-Speech, but Siri integration would presumably offer Mac users voice-command and search functionality to Mac users.

Meanwhile, Maps integration indicates that Apple will offer the service to developers to incorporate into their own Mac apps. Its not clear whether or not Apple would offer its own stand-alone mapping app for the Mac.

A release date for OS X 10.9 is currently unknown, but Apple has stated that is moving toward a more rapid development cycle on OS X. If Apple follows their pattern for OS X 10.8's launch, we could see early OS X 10.9 developer previews in early 2013 and a final release in the middle of the year.

Article Link: OS X 10.9 to Include Siri and Maps Integration

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Makes sense. OS X will get all the core iOS apps/features eventually.
Makes me think iOS will = OS X in the future. We all think this. But I feel it'll be 2 different OS still just a different UI for each device. ie Mac and iDevice.

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
I can't wait! There are so many things I'd use siri for on my mac. :)

Inb4 "They should have done this in Mountain Lion" I'm glad they are taking their time with this instead of rushing it out the door like some of you want.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
I'd be more interested in TRIM support for non-apple SSD's although there's probably more chance of Apple building a decent desktop.... ;o)

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Hmmm, if it's really well integrated and eases use --I'd have to get my parents a newer Mac, they might really like the Siri feature. As it is, I blew my mom's mind showing her how to use the Command key last week.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I heard they had build of these services on them but hadn't yet decided if they are going to include them or not.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Only 1 major release from OS XI.

I wonder what they've got up their sleeves? Dock and menus removed in favour of a 'metro' style interface? ;)

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Yes, but only for 2013 Macs. Because of heavy, critical and uncircumventable hardware limitations.

GaryMumford

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
UK
Great idea... get all the rubbish that don't work on iOS and port it too the Mac, then we can all have the grief. :eek:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Only 1 major release from OS XI.

I wonder what they've got up their sleeves? Dock and menus removed in favour of a 'metro' style interface? ;)

Not so. Tiger went to 10.4.11. So you can have an OS X 10.10 or 10.11 etc etc. OS X 11 (or whatever they call it) will come when it's ready.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Yes, but only for 2013 Macs. Because of heavy, critical and uncircumventable hardware limitations.

Was dictation limited? At most this may be limited to Macs with 2 mics, but I kinda doubt it. Data speeds are what's important for Siri, and Macs use Wi-fi and have been on Wireless N for a long time.

DarkWinter

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
I'd much rather they focused on getting Siri out of it's Beta state and maybe added some of the US-only functionality to the rest of the world before expanding across the platforms.

Ed91

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
I'm all for a standalone Maps.app on OS X, and if Apple can expand the use of it's maps platform to OS X and steal users from Google while they're at it, it's win-win.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Was dictation limited? At most this may be limited to Macs with 2 mics, but I kinda doubt it. Data speeds are what's important for Siri, and Macs use Wi-fi and have been on Wireless N for a long time.

lol I think he was joking. Like how the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 got the short end of the stick with Siri for no valid technological reason.

UmbraDiaboli

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Am I the only one finding this worrisome: "Apple has stated that is moving toward a more rapid development cycle on OS X"?

Less features - same price - shorter hardware lifespans

Things aren't the same without Jobs, Cook is just milking the cow and killing the share price.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Cranking!

This will be a welcome improvement, and a major selling point for Macs. It will further integrate the platforms, making the Apple way of doing things ever more ubiquitous.

Bravo Apple. Will you be able to talk to your iMac now and have it switch the output to your big-screen TV?

Last edited by a moderator:

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
UK
So a $20 yearly sub to keep buying buggy new OSXs? I think they'll start dishing out this for free

ccmovies

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2010
Boston
Makes sense. I can see Tim Cook or someone on stage in 2014 saying something like "We all love iOS on our iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. And we all love OS X on our Macs. So what if we were to combine them?" On screen, the i from iOS and the X from OS X combine into "XI".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.