Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
Am I the only one finding this worrisome: "Apple has stated that is moving toward a more rapid development cycle on OS X"?

Less features - same price - shorter hardware lifespans

Things aren't the same without Jobs, Cook is just milking the cow and killing the share price.

You're forgetting the biggest flaw with this approach. More uneccessary changes and superfluous iOS stuff = more bugs + less time to fix those bugs before releasing the next OS version (with new bugs). This is not a good appraoch IMO.

mactoday

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
Moscow, Russia
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Earlier this month, MacRumors had reported that early logs have indicated that Apple is already testing early builds of OS X 10.9.

With OS X 10.9, Apple appears to be continuing the theme of bringing iOS features into OS X. According to 9to5Mac, early builds are showing that both Siri and Maps are being integrated into the newest version of the Mac operating system.Apple already offers Dictation and Text-to-Speech, but Siri integration would presumably offer Mac users voice-command and search functionality to Mac users.

Meanwhile, Maps integration indicates that Apple will offer the service to developers to incorporate into their own Mac apps. Its not clear whether or not Apple would offer its own stand-alone mapping app for the Mac.

A release date for OS X 10.9 is currently unknown, but Apple has stated that is moving toward a more rapid development cycle on OS X. If Apple follows their pattern for OS X 10.8's launch, we could see early OS X 10.9 developer previews in early 2013 and a final release in the middle of the year.

Article Link: OS X 10.9 to Include Siri and Maps Integration
I hope this freaks from Apple will stop this crazy thing. I would never move to 10.8. because it's sucks. The whole this crazy integration is sucks. They have no idea what they are doing.
Apple should be ashamed the way they made Apple ID integration at least what they call Apple ID and they should be ashamed of 10.7.5 Mobile me in System Preferences and iCloud at the same time and now Mobile me doesn't even work, why they just don't fix this crap. I would never move to 10.8 because it's sucks, Xcode 4.5.2 sucks as well.

Last edited:

b-dogg

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
Siri is absolutely brutal.

It doesn't understand what you say half the time neither in words you use, or as trumpeted on it's release - the context in which you use them.

It's really limited in what it can do.

And as for Apple maps... eh, no thanks! Total rubbish - submitted error reports to Apple several times and they haven't been updated. Still the wrong data on the maps.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
After the reception we've seen for Windows 8, I don't expect Apple to completely unify iOS and OS X in the near future. What they are doing now makes sense - bring popular features from iOS to OS X, yet retain the desktop metaphor and workflows.

I think it would be a big mistake for them to go the route of W8 right now, as current polling reveals that more people are considering Mac purchases than ever due to what they've seen with W8.

Convergence is inevitable, it seems, but the real questions are when and how.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Headline should read..."two iOS gimmicks that just don't work are coming to the Mac"

One can only hope that these aren't the 'key features' of 10.9, because it will also mean Craig has 0 talent to work on iOS

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
And that's the whole point. Apple to me is moving to a finderless experience. The finder was always boring. it's the apps, the content you care about that is interesting. And having less stuff in the rode and stuff you have to do before you can enjoy your favourite content I believe is Apple's plan.

Sorry - finder is "boring" ?

How exciting do you need a search for files to be? I prefer function over form. And given file naming conventions - while I don't doubt Siri could work - I question the accuracy to pull up what I need quickly and efficiently compared to me typing a few letters...

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
"next generation"? Lol. "Next Update" is more the right term.

I was hoping mountain lion was the final version of OSX. I have been waiting for OS11 since 2010!

Are people actually excited about another update on this? Do we, the users, need it?

No, but Apple knows that if you slap a logo on it, the people will buy it.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I hope this freaks from Apple will stop this crazy thing. I would never move to 10.8. because it's sucks. The whole this crazy integration is sucks. They have no idea what they are doing.

I see little reason to not update to mountain lion, unless you are really that hardup for $20. The update does not remove any features, so in the very least, you aren't any worse off. I found the price was quite worth it for airplay, notification bar and imessage alone.

I was just watching Steve's 2007 wwdc keynote, where he talks about OSX (leopard, specifically) and how he has a roadmap for the next 20 years. I wonder if this might be what he was referring to? A unified OS for macs and IOS devices? :confused:

iRCL

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Here comes the flurry of people complaining, saying Pros are left out, saying all these features are broke, etc. At what point are you all going to give up and realize that these products just aren't for you any more? Leave the rest of us 99.9% in peace please. I wish there was a forums-disabled version of macrumors

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
Gee, great... Another half-baked OS to be released just one year after the previous half-baked OS. :rolleyes:

In a few years time, most people will have forgotten the days, not so long ago, when Apple would take about 10 iterations to eventually make their OS's totally rock solid. Leopard and Snow Leopard each started out really buggy, but by the end of their iterations they were totally rock solid. All that will change. Now, with a new OS each year, and only 5 iterations for Lion (so far), we're leaving the days when Apple would keep going until the OS was totally solid. We're now entering a post-Jobs era where, under Cook, near enough is good enough, then on to the next best thing. It's a consumer orientation focused on making tons of money, rather than pride of craftsmanship in the OS.

Back in the old days - I mean Leopard and Snow Leopard - I could basically sit it out on the 9th or 10th iteration of the OS, waiting for about a year till you early adopters beta tested for bugs, and then I'd join the game when the OS was mostly de-bugged. But now, these new OS's don't seen to get past the 5th iteration.

I'd say, if you study corporate history of the rise and fall of corporations, I'd give Apple about 12 years. In that time, it could go from media star to total has-been.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Heh... I have to agree, but ....

Apple has been following a trend for quite some time now where the features I consider "real progress" are barely mentioned, in favor of the more flashy stuff that appeals to the general public.

When Apple developers cater to advanced or "power users" in OS X, it's almost always done silently, or with only a brief mention.

The coolest feature they've added in a while, IMO, is this "hybrid drive" technology - and yet they only mention it because it's a line item that helps them sell higher-end iMac configurations. Fact is though, it's actually a pretty sophisticated advance in OS X itself, the way it plugs into the file system and works at the block level.

So yeah, I'm sure all this stuff like Siri and Maps coming over from iOS will be hyped up -- but long-time computers users like myself won't really care much. I'm more interested in the stuff they do that's buried under the surface. (TRIM support for non-Apple SSDs would be one such thing, but pretty sure they simply leave this off because they'd rather encourage sales of a few more higher-priced Apple replacement drives for out of warranty repairs or upgrades. I've had it for a long time already by simply using the free TRIM Enabler utility.)

I'd be more interested in TRIM support for non-apple SSD's although there's probably more chance of Apple building a decent desktop.... ;o)

r3lentl3ss

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Scenario

Picture working with these two fine products.....

User: "Siri, please get directions to the closest Apple store."

Siri: "Finding reflections to the closet Snapple store."

Maps: Directions to closest Snapple store, Mogadishu, Somalia, Drive Time 2.1 years.

:rolleyes:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Here comes the flurry of people complaining, saying Pros are left out, saying all these features are broke, etc. At what point are you all going to give up and realize that these products just aren't for you any more? Leave the rest of us 99.9% in peace please. I wish there was a forums-disabled version of macrumors

I think 99.9 percent is extremely high. In other news - get over it. If you don't like what you read - don't click in.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Sorry - finder is "boring"

How exciting do you need a search for files to be? I prefer function over form. And given file naming conventions - while I don't doubt Siri could work - I question the accuracy to pull up what I need quickly and efficiently compared to me typing a few letters...

That's my exact point. Always was and still is boring. But that's ok. As it serves it's purpose well. I think siri won't be able to be a voice to text for terminal coding or anything but for basic things hopefully it should work well on OS X.

I can see Maps (if working well) being great on OS X. I'd use it a lot. But Siri? I just don't know. Apart from the whole "for the vision impaired thing" I don't see there being much use for Siri on OS X at the moment.

Random point.
They say typing killed handwriting. Cause everyone types these days.
Fast forward to 2030.
They say Siri killed typing cause everyone talks to their computers now.

X38

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2007
What would be really nice is to give OS/X a touch screen option and iOS a mouse pointer option.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
re: OS X 10.8

I have to say, I *really* don't get all the dislike of Mountain Lion. Unless you're one of the unlucky ones with a computer too old to run it, it's a pretty good upgrade.

I think a lot of people simply hated the Snow Leopard to Lion transition, so they assume Lion to Mountain Lion will be "more of the same"?

From what I've seen, Mountain Lion is more like a "fixed version of Lion" than anything else. Features Apple changed around in Lion and irritated a lot of users with now have ways to change behaviors back to the old methods. Performance improvements are hidden all over the place too. (EG. The MIDI support in Mountain Lion is much more efficient than what Apple gave people in Lion. My KORG Kronos synthesizer has issues with the OS X editor taking a long time to download settings via MIDI in Lion but in Mountain Lion, speeds are back to normal.)

Apple should be ashamed the way they made Apple ID integration at least what they call Apple ID and they should be ashamed of 10.7.5 Mobile me in System Preferences and iCloud at the same time and now Mobile me doesn't even work, why they just don't fix this crap. I would never move to 10.8 because it's sucks, Xcode 4.5.2 sucks as well.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Does this mean we may get MacBooks with built-in Verizon/AT&T/etc. modems? Or has the "fad" for built-in modems in laptops died due to the rise of MiFis, smartphones, and tablets?

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
why do we need maps on a laptop, or desktop computer for that matter? Has apple finally lost the ability to "innovate"? Siri does sound promising though.

It makes some sense if you can sync your locations and directions between devices. So for instance you can locate something on your desktop and then pull it up later on your iPhone.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
This will be a welcome improvement, and a major selling point for Macs. It will further integrate the platforms, making the Apple way of doing things ever more ubiquitous.

Bravo Apple. Will you be able to talk to your iMac now and have it switch the output to your big-screen TV?
Can I have what you're smoking?

Hopefully they'll actually add something worth upgrading for, or I'll be sitting this one out just as I did with Lion. Except I actually bought Lion, realised it was a turd, and went back to SL.

----------

It makes some sense if you can sync your locations and directions between devices. So for instance you can locate something on your desktop and then pull it up later on your iPhone.
Actually, if it can help me locate things on my desk I might just be impressed!

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Takes time to write articles of this quality. (good quality or bad quality? I'll let the public be the judge of that).

That's true. Although MacRumors.com is not the first to bring the rumors, it has high quality articles. It is definitely my favorite Mac-related rumors website and the first one I check, BTW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.