Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
Did I miss something here? Why are either of these things needed in Mac OS? No doubt, they will become 'essential' tools later on, and I'll be eating my words, but 'Siri' is more trouble than it's worth and 'Maps' is what everyone says it is. One of my bigger complaints re: Maps is the lack of bus stop details (or the proper locating of entire rail/underground stations). I would expect that all new Macs will come with 4G, as they will be wanting to push Siri and Maps usage/dependence?

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Oh God, so it's looks like it's true, I like, you in Apple are trying to add more features, but how about to fix all the issues with current OS and then start working on new one? Or more preferably, how about just add new features to the current release including bug/stability fixes?
Where are the days, when I had my Mac about a month without one possible restart, crash, Expose bug etc. These days are probably gone...:mad:

mactoday

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
Moscow, Russia
I have to say, I *really* don't get all the dislike of Mountain Lion. Unless you're one of the unlucky ones with a computer too old to run it, it's a pretty good upgrade.

I think a lot of people simply hated the Snow Leopard to Lion transition, so they assume Lion to Mountain Lion will be "more of the same"?

From what I've seen, Mountain Lion is more like a "fixed version of Lion" than anything else. Features Apple changed around in Lion and irritated a lot of users with now have ways to change behaviors back to the old methods. Performance improvements are hidden all over the place too. (EG. The MIDI support in Mountain Lion is much more efficient than what Apple gave people in Lion. My KORG Kronos synthesizer has issues with the OS X editor taking a long time to download settings via MIDI in Lion but in Mountain Lion, speeds are back to normal.)
I honestly don't care what you think. I have my own opinion and 10.8 with last 10.8.2 update is horrible Safari just quit they even released update that erase Flash Player plug-in from system, what the heck is that? 99% of the web on the Flash, I don't see that HTML5 is making a huge progress for the last years. I don't see that Apple fixed general issue with own QuickTime in Finder, their QuickTime in Finder while preview unknown video files load up CPU time up to 100%. BTW: I have MBA 2011 13" top model, if this model was able to run 10.6.8 I would downgrade to 10.6.8 but it's not possible because of EFI.
Xcode 4.5.2 for 10.8 made me freak out, they have made a stupid UI again. I spend 4 hours just to figured out how the hell now to archive and submit iOS apps again with their new UI in Xcode it's more complicated to attach distribution certificates that in Xcode 4.3.3. I don't have time to learn new things that make my job more complicated that is why i moved back to 10.7.5 because at least Xcode 4.3.3 works fine there. Apple now is a big brother, they just make some crap, quality of the software is gone with Jobs, I should even say when Jobs was sick already they made a huge mistakes and Apple will pay for them in the near future.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I would imagine that Siri will only be available on new (at the time of 10.9's release) Macs or models released in 2012. Everyone else will need to upgrade hardware. Which is fine with me, because I'm pretty sure that Mountain Lion is the last version of OS X that my 2008 MacBook will be supported on.

Your 2008 MacBook supports Mountain Lion? That's a MBP, right?

As for Siri and Maps - well, meh. I can't even remember the last time Siri was able to answer a question of mine; all it does it recommend web searches.

Apple seem to have just run out of ideas.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
This is hopefully a foreshadowing of the merger of iOS and MacOS. I look forward to the day when Apple lets all applications run on both the iOS devices and Mac seamlessly. This will improve the usability for users, expand the markets for developers and unify the systems for Apple.

While Apple's doing that they should also offer support for all past OSs right back to the Apple I. There is a tremendous amount of wonderful software for education as well as much more that blossomed in the 1990's and has never been ported to MacOSX or the iOS. Offering emulation for the older systems would vastly expand Apple's media offerings.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Am I the only one finding this worrisome: "Apple has stated that is moving toward a more rapid development cycle on OS X"?

Less features - same price - shorter hardware lifespans

Things aren't the same without Jobs, Cook is just milking the cow and killing the share price.

Got to agree with this, the philosophy introduced when Steve returned was to just concentrate on great product and services and hope the money follows. Now it seems to be just chase the money, which is what got Apple into trouble last time.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
The question now is, will your mac be compatible with the new features?

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I honestly don't care what you think. I have my own opinion and 10.8 with last 10.8.2 update is horrible Safari just quit they even released update that erase Flash Player plug-in from system, what the heck is that? 99% of the web on the Flash, I don't see that HTML5 is making a huge progress for the last years. I don't see that Apple fixed general issue with own QuickTime in Finder, their QuickTime in Finder while preview unknown video files load up CPU time up to 100%. BTW: I have MBA 2011 13" top model, if this model was able to run 10.6.8 I would downgrade to 10.6.8 but it's not possible because of EFI.
Xcode 4.5.2 for 10.8 made me freak out, they have made a stupid UI again. I spend 4 hours just to figured out how the hell now to archive and submit iOS apps again with their new UI in Xcode it's more complicated to attach distribution certificates that in Xcode 4.3.3. I don't have time to learn new things that make my job more complicated that is why i moved back to 10.7.5 because at least Xcode 4.3.3 works fine there. Apple now is a big brother, they just make some crap, quality of the software is gone with Jobs, I should even say when Jobs was sick already they made a huge mistakes and Apple will pay for them in the near future.

True story man, I wish I could have 10.6.8 with latest Xcode...

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010

stupidest and most uninformed post i've read today. thanks.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
The question now is, will your mac be compatible with the new features?

Probably do some 09 cutoffs I am guessing. Got to upgrade even faster when you are spending over a grand on this side I guess.

Siri can't answer that, but she can search the web for it. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008

Hey, now - XCode is awesome. Best IDE out there by miles.

Have you tried writing Android apps with Eclipse?

Trying to navigate the hellish world of Android documentation (i.e. thousands of outdated javadoc mirrors polluting every Google search)?

Using their crappy QEMU-based emulator (it actually emulates an ARM core rather than run an Intel port of Android - don't ask me why!)?

I'll take XCode, with the iPhone simulator any day. The rest of the toolchain lives up to it, too - Clang/LLVM is superb (ARC is amazing), etc.

Odd

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
iOS + OSX

So what if the integration meant taking functionality from OSX and porting them to iOS? Like an actual file system, multitasking with more than one app on screen, support for peripherals like any old keyboard, functional copy and paste, etc. Then we'd have several tiers of computers to choose from, instead of dumbing it all down to toys. Just damn media consumption devices.
Doesn't anyone create anymore?

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
These will be the only 2 new features. They'll come up with 198 useless "features", so they can put this on their website: over 200 new features!
Watch my words..

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
Well $20 or whatever you're paying now for OS X is better then the $129 you paid in the Jobs days.

The more rapid development worries me for a different reason. in the past Apple was always about getting right meant more then a deadline. But now it seems the deadlines are getting in the way of getting the perfect product out.

I rather pay 129 or whatever for quality os x like SL than dysfunctional ML.

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Great.

Me: Remind me to do x when I get home.

Siri: OK, I'll remind you to do x, when would you like me to remind you, I can remind you at a specific time or when you arrive or leave a place such as home, work, gym?

Me: When I get home.

(Siri recognises "When I get home")

Siri: When would you like me to remind you, I can remind you at a specific time or when you arrive or leave a place such as home, work, gym?

Me: When I arrive at home

Siri: When would you like me to remind you, I can remind you at a specific time or when you arrive or leave a place such as home, work, gym?

ad infinitum.

Looking forward to having that on my Mac.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
This is one OSX I will not be upgrading to. One I plan on buying a Haswell imac 2 sick of the slogan 200 changes and I hardly use 10 of the so called 200 changes. 3 it's another way to make money for Apple.

These updates could easily be free but they charge a cheap price to make money. I've bought lion for my late 2009 imac then changed my imac in Feb and got the mid 2011 that cae with lion., Which I had already wasted money on. I then bought mountain lion this year and the changes were minimal.

I decided then I will lKnow longer line Apples pockets with cash for over hyped OSX updates.

mactoday

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
Moscow, Russia
Hey, now - XCode is awesome. Best IDE out there by miles.

Have you tried writing Android apps with Eclipse?

Trying to navigate the hellish world of Android documentation (i.e. thousands of outdated javadoc mirrors polluting every Google search)?

Using their crappy QEMU-based emulator (it actually emulates an ARM core rather than run an Intel port of Android - don't ask me why!)?

I'll take XCode, with the iPhone simulator any day. The rest of the toolchain lives up to it, too - Clang/LLVM is superb (ARC is amazing), etc.
I was not talking about Eclipse here, I was mention that Xcode last version is more complicated compare to 4.3.3. Why Apple is making more UI complicated Xcode for developers? It is honestly to me that they don't hear feedback from developers.
Yes, I was writing apps for Android and of course it's more complicated but I didn't even compare it, it's a hell specially design UI for Android apps with tons of resolutions that now Adnroid devices have.

thefizzle657

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
Looks like I'll be on Lion for the next few years. I had to downgrade from ML because startup and shutdown times on my computer (a 2011 SNB MBP) became excruciatingly slow and battery life was reduced by a good amount too.

I don't need an OS update every year and I would much rather Apple go back to releasing new versions of OS X every two years and put more effort into fixing the problems of the latest version. :(

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Am I the only one finding this worrisome: "Apple has stated that is moving toward a more rapid development cycle on OS X"?

Less features - same price - shorter hardware lifespans

Things aren't the same without Jobs, Cook is just milking the cow and killing the share price.

Some thought processes can only be called bizarre.
Prices for new OS versions have gone down dramatically. 10.5 cost $129. 10.8 cost $20. And hardware lasts as long as it always did - the only difference is that when Apple decides your Mac won't be supported by the next OS version, you will notice it one year from now instead of two years from now.

And the share price is a lot higher than it ever was when Steve Jobs was CEO.

mactoday

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2006
Moscow, Russia
stupidest and most uninformed post i've read today. thanks.

I've read here that someone mention desktop integration with touch screen, this is the most idiotic thing that I've heard for last years. I could only imagine how fat american will use iMac with touch screen, his fat belly will move on the whole screen :D

till213

Suspended
Jul 1, 2011
...bring popular features from iOS to OS X ...

"Popular features"? Umpfff, LOL! I think the new Maplegate is the MOST UNPOPULAR FEATURE Apple has EVER produced! And Siri? Siriously? I know NO ONE in my friendlist who ever talked to Siri except in the first five minutes after unwrapping their iPhones - maybe some half-funny party jokes evolved out of that. And that was it! :rolleyes:

What about... ZFS? iSCSI? A current OpenGL implementation (I mean, what are we Mac users... like 2-3 years behind of the current standard)? I call those POPULAR FEATURES!

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I wont bother with these update even if its free, and i hope they dont make it mandatory for any new features included on iOS7/icloud if that happends :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.