Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
How can they discount the iMac since there is no possibility to buy it?

Is that a hint that it will be available before black friday?

cljmac

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2002
florida
Bestbuy has the i7 13in right now for $150 off. On Black Friday the air and pro will be $165 off. U still get the rewardzone points on top of it too. iPads r up to $60 off. I think it's a 2 day sale at bestbuy.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Like in other years, the Mac Mini has no discount...

A machine costing 859 EUR (or even the 959 EUR BTO) one would assume it could be discounted. After all the iPod (much cheaper than the Mac Mini) is part of the discounted products...

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I want to see a $179 iPad Mini.

Maybe in 6-8 months, the first gen iPad mini 16GB will be reduced to $199 as a 2nd gen iPad mini with an A6 and retina display is introduced. Apple may realize it's better to release a new iPad right before school starts. They may even return to the June iPhone introduction again.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
For absolute savings, customers will have better luck with 3rd party merchants that tend to offer steeper discounts on Apple products on Black Friday.

For a number of good reasons, buying direct from Apple on the website is always the best way to go.

Before too much longer, when we order on the website, the product will get made and shipped completely automatically, with no need for any human intervention until it reaches our hands.

CiSach

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
For a number of good reasons, buying direct from Apple on the website is always the best way to go.

Before too much longer, when we order on the website, the product will get made and shipped completely automatically, with no need for any human intervention until it reaches our hands.

meh - poor reason to pay more.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007

Maybe, but for instance the Mac Mini has no discount at the Apple website, and others will discount it. Or as MR states, you can get higher discounts at other stores.

I don't mind having my product shipped by a human if I get a higher discount and in some cases a better warranty (for example in my country Apple as a really dodgy 1 year warranty, in a place where they are oblidged to make a 2 year warranty).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I don't mind having my product shipped by a human if I get a higher discount and in some cases a better warranty (for example in my country Apple as a really dodgy 1 year warranty, in a place where they are oblidged to make a 2 year warranty).

If you are in the EU, it is most likely that you are confusing "warranty" and "statutory rights".

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Amazon will have the 5th gen iPod Touch on sale at 4:30 PM EST - it will disappear within seconds. The 4th gen will also be on sale but at 3:30 PM EST.
amazon_bf_ipod_touch.jpg

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
For computers, do you guys think that the discount will be on top of the student discount for Macs, or it'll be an either/or thing? I would assume the latter, but how has it been in the past?

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
For computers, do you guys think that the discount will be on top of the student discount for Macs, or it'll be an either/or thing? I would assume the latter, but how has it been in the past?

It's either/or for black friday discounts. Apple has never been known to combine the student discount along with the black friday discount in the past.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
No I'm not :)
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/12/...-to-give-2-years-warranty-on-all-its-products

They are obliged to have 2 years warranty and in practice they don't do it.

As I said, you are confusing "warranty" and "statutory rights". And a slashdot story is not exactly something that I would use as a citation.

Apple, as the maker of Macs, iPhones etc., gives you in the EU a one year "manufacturer's warranty". There is very little in laws what a manufacturer can or can not do in their manufacturer's warranty.

The laws of your country (if you are in the EU), give you statutory rights: The store where you buy a product is responsible that the product is of satisfactory quality, and that includes that it should usually work for two years unless someone breaks it. Take note: It's the store where you buy. It's not Apple.

So if you bought a Mac and an HP printer at PCWorld, Apple voluntarily gave you a one year warranty to fix your Mac, and HP probably gave you a similar warranty to fix your printer. PCWorld, however, has to make sure that both the Mac and the printer work for a reasonable time.

And please, please, please, don't quote articles from Slashdot. Many articles there are submitted by clueless dolts. Some are based on articles found on the Internet that were created by clueless dolts, others are based on really good articles that are totally misunderstood. Yes, and sometimes they have an intelligent article. It happens :D

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
As I said, you are confusing "warranty" and "statutory rights". And a slashdot story is not exactly something that I would use as a citation.

Apple, as the maker of Macs, iPhones etc., gives you in the EU a one year "manufacturer's warranty". There is very little in laws what a manufacturer can or can not do in their manufacturer's warranty.

The laws of your country (if you are in the EU), give you statutory rights: The store where you buy a product is responsible that the product is of satisfactory quality, and that includes that it should usually work for two years unless someone breaks it. Take note: It's the store where you buy. It's not Apple.

So if you bought a Mac and an HP printer at PCWorld, Apple voluntarily gave you a one year warranty to fix your Mac, and HP probably gave you a similar warranty to fix your printer. PCWorld, however, has to make sure that both the Mac and the printer work for a reasonable time. (...)
Agreed that slashdot isn't the best source, I just pointed to something that related to what I'm talking about to give a starting point.

About your "explanation", very good, thanks, but still I am not sure if buying at the website in the EU grants you the full two years, that's why I posted this. This week I will be calling them to find out what they do in regards to the full two years. If they don't then I assume they are "protected" by the fact that it is an online store?

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
If you are willing to wait in line with the unwashed masses , walmart has a better iPad2 deal . That is if you want to throw down with a two year old version of the iPad that will likely be close to bricked when the next full iOS is released!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.